Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shared Dreams and Soul Communication?

liath_

So...I don't really know how to describe this, but I'll do my best.

Four years ago I started having very strange and vivid dreams involving another person whom I've never met. At first, I thought they were manifestations of dissatisfaction with my romantic life or a very intense infatuation of some kind. I expected the dreams to go away in a matter of months (because dreams related to dissatisfaction or infatuations always have) but they've been a consistent part of my life for years, now. 

These dreams are different from regular 'dreams about an attractive person' kind of dreams. They're almost never romantic or sexual. Most of the time the setting is somewhere out in nature, and we're just...talking to each other. Ever since I started having these dreams, the feeling I get when I have them is like I'm meeting up with an old friend. They grew in intensity as I traveled to the other side of the planet (where he lives) and lived there for a couple years. Instead of one or two dreams a week, I would get them almost nightly. It feels like he wanted to tell me something but whenever I got close to figuring out what, the dream would end.

At first, this was all very distressing to me because I consider myself to be a very normal person. Other than these strange dreams, I was just going about my life. I have no real interest in public figures, save that some of them display personality traits that I admire and want to emulate (hard working, thoughtful, etc.). I'd consider myself spiritual and I certainly believe in souls and spirits. I've had experiences before concerning to be the soon-to-be and recently deceased that basically affirmed that there is definitely 'something' out there and that we as living creatures have more to us than just our physical bodies.

This person is a public figure. After dreaming of that person often I became curious about them and did some research. I like their work,  but, well... if it weren't for these dreams I was having so often, I wouldn't think much of them. 

Most of my distress for the past four years has come from the fact that I really don't know what's happening. I thought I was infatuated, but it turns out that is not the case. Sure, he seems nice, and I suppose he's attractive, but not any more or less than people I meet in my waking life. 

I've thought very deeply about this for several years, and I'm still stumped. I don't have any answers. I've theorized that I could be communicating with this person on a soul level, but I've never been able to confirm this.

Are there any cases like mine? Is this theoretically possible? 

Oh, and, here's another weird skill that I seem to have acquired regarding this person: every few months I'll get this weird sort of 'knowing' feeling about where that person is and what they are doing. I brushed it off until I started stumbling across social media posts and news stories that would confirm these 'knowing' feelings. I've never had this ability before, not even concerning close members of my family or friends. So??? What??? Is??? Happening???

• Like 3

@liath_

Interesting stuff. Now, when did you figure out who this person was? Was it right from the start?

Interesting that you mentioned that you have verified your 'feelings' later with real world events. How convincing are the verifications (vague or strong or unmistakably strong).

Possibilities are soul mates, part of the same soul group, past life companion or some other close connection. The strongest such thing I have ever heard of is a soul having multiple incarnations living at the same time. 

Is the person available to physically see in some public event or some such thing.

• Like 1

@papageorge1

I remember having two or three vague dreams of a person matching his physical description with an unclear face before seeing a picture on the internet and going “oh. OH.” And recognizing that person. I thought it over after trying to make sense of it, came to the conclusion that there was a possibility that  I had briefly seen his face somewhere, and tried to push it out of my mind. However, the dreams kept happening. 

The three most recent instances of being able to locate this person on the planet happened all in 2017 when I was relatively relaxed and my mind was wandering. Since I didn’t bother to check or write down the first two at the time of prediction I was at first doubtful about the timing of the prediction versus the confirmed dates. For example, I may have ‘felt’ he was in Laos in either August or September, but I only stumbled across a news article confirming his location at that time in mid-December. I resolved to actually write it down the next time it happened, just to make sure. 

I didn’t have to wait long. On December 29 I was in the shower and got something like a “message” that felt like it was being told to me instead of thought by me, if that makes sense. All it said was “He’s in New York”. I was like “hm, that’s interesting, I guess he’s there for New Years. I’d not like to be there for New Years because it’s cold and crowded, blah blah blah...” I got out of the shower and wrote it down. 

On January 5th I was browsing twitter and stumbled across a screenshot of a broadway actor’s Instagram story. It was a picture of the actor and the person I had the prediction about, and the caption was “look who came to visit in the Bronx!” 

I saved the picture and then put my phone down and stared into space for about an hour, re-evaluating some things because now I had proof that this was happening.

I’ve physically been in the same room as him three times, as he’s done charity work for a group that I was already interested in and I attended these events. The first time I had an unmistakable feeling of recognition, like, ‘yes, this is definitely the person I’ve been dreaming about’. The energy ‘felt’ the same, with the subtle difference that the soul in my dreams seemed more mature while the person in the room seemed to have a boyish feel. Each one of these events was about half a year apart, and each time I could sense that he was growing, and coming closer and closer to matching the ‘feel’ of the person I keep dreaming about. The last time I attended one of these events was in December of 2016, and I don’t live in the same country as him anymore. So, I haven’t had a chance to be in the same room as him, physically, and the dreams have gone back down in frequency.

@liath_

Very interesting. Did he take any particular note of your presence? Or do you think this is more of a one way thing?

Was it possible to talk directly with him on those three occasions or is he too big a public figure for one-on-one interaction?

Do you have a leading theory about all this?

• Like 1

@papageorge1

I know he took note of my presence the last occasion, but it was at the end of the event and I was on my way out the door. I don’t know how much it affected him because I left. 

He’s not well known in the Western Hemisphere, but he seems to be quite famous in his home country, and his popularity appears to be rising. I didn’t realize just HOW famous he was until I went to this event and young women started screaming. :lol: I was taken aback. 

As such, he is not often seen in public and I think he might even have a security detail when doing public events. All communication to him is probably screened by staff. So, one-on-one conversation hasn’t really been possible. 

It would be nice to speak to him to see if this is mutual or if it is a one-way thing, and maybe someday I’ll be able to, but as of now I’ve been focusing on living my own life.

As for leading theories... I think he was somehow a strong trigger for spiritual growth. In the time that these dreams have been occurring I’ve experienced other kinds of psychic events, moreso than I ever did as a child. In the time I spent researching this phenomena I started reading religious and occult texts. So, while trying to find answers to what is happening in my own life, I’ve learned much about the spiritual world.  My life is much richer because of this.

I suspect I may also be a trigger or a catalyst for his growth as well at some point in the future.  I’ve only just recently thought of this, but it would make sense because the soul that I dream of seems much wiser and more mature. It could be that we’re supposed to help each other grow in a big way. 

But as for ‘what we are’, I couldn’t say. I’ve heard of souls that incarnate into two bodies, often across cultures and across long distances.  This seems to be the closest thing to what I feel, because it feels like we’re cut from the same cloth, so to speak, more than others. I’ve met soulmates/ soul companions and even had a very long relationship with one, and this experience just blows that right out of the water. 

To be honest, right now I’m conflicted. I feel like we’re supposed to meet and do something great in service of the world together, and in my mind’s eye I can sort of ‘see’ a couple versions of the future where that happens, but it’s blurry. However, a part of me, the ego, I suppose, wants to run around and drink wine and eat cheese and play and to heck with service. But...I’m here and I’m talking about it, so I guess I’m leaning more towards the service part. 

Edited by liath_
Added @
  • Like 1

That being said, I would like to hear people's opinion on this! I've heard of shared dreams in fiction, but not in real life. Does anybody have any experience with such things or heard of such an occurrence?

• Like 1

Hello,

When telepathy is understood as a Shared Experience, these kind of dreams are quite natural. My understanding is that we do have soul bonds with many people. However when it is with a soul family member it is often more intense. There is a resonating with one another which is obvious.

I have personal experience with this occurrence and several of my friends have had similar experiences. We share stories and compare notes doing our best to comprehend it all.

One of my friends even confronted her co-worker about their shared dreams. He admited to the dreams however and did not consider that to be such a big thing. Saying there must be some kind of logical explanation for those shared experiences.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@John from Lowell

Hello, thanks for your reply. Sorry mine has come so late. I started thinking a lot about what has been happening and got nervous about it. I told myself I'd go off and do my own thing and come back to this later. I didn't expect it to be over a month later! 

If we really are having Shared Experiences that would be very interesting. Unfortunately, I haven't confirmed if they are shared or not. Since I don't have direct contact with this person I might have to get creative? I haven't the slightest idea how I would do that. They have a twitter, so I suppose I could ask for confirmation in dream and then just wait it out? 

I've been focusing most of my energy on my personal life lately, so I think my dream lucidity is taking a hit. For the past couple days I've woken up with the feeling that I dreamt of something important but I can't remember what it was. 

I'm still having dreams, about one a week that I can remember (and maybe more that I cannot). They're a little different now, in that we seem to just be passing each other by  in a crowd without really getting a chance to 'talk' before I realize that he's 'there' and the dream changes or ends. 

I've played with the idea of reaching out in-dream before, but I never seriously made an attempt at it...

liath_

Belated welcome aboard.

Disclaimer: I don't interpret other people's dreams, but some dream  motifs and characters are dreamt by many people, and I sometimes  recognize those motifs and characters. I might be able to tell you what  several people who have dreamt dreams like yours have thought about  their dreams, but only you can decide whether that has anything to do  with your personal dream.

The dream character, I believe, is an Animus figure (carl jung animus is searchable ... you're looking for the dream character, which is a positive thing, and not the projection of that archetype onto a real person in your actual waking life, which is a negative thing - although you sound like you are on the borderline of a projection - please read on).

As to there being a real-life corresponding person:

I remember having two or three vague dreams of a person matching his physical description with an unclear face before seeing a picture on the internet and going “oh. OH.”

That sounds like your dream expression of the archetype finding his face (which itself is an archetypal thing to do).

What's interesting to me is that you're in an in-between situation in your waking relationship with the dream character. It is a mistake ever to confuse any archetype with any actual person. We simply are not archetypes, we're all people. However, by your accepting as an "identity" for your animus-figure somebody who is (or should be) safely distant and unable to play any important role in your personal life, the confusion is as safe as it can ever be. So, maybe you go with that (and probably will anyway, regardless of anything I say about it, lol).

The mechanism by which you can anticipate his real-life behavior is that, given that there's lots of information available about the life of the real person, you can locate and absorb that information, and you have an incentive to do so. So, you did.

I think the most prominent parallel case is Napoleon Hill (in his oddly titled book, Think and Grow Rich, now in the public domain and available in many places on the web). He went about it "backwards" compared with you - he consciously assembled a "council of advisers" based on historical figures (e.g. Abraham Lincoln). He would imagine meetings with his advisers (what Jung would call active imagination, basically waking dreams), and timed the meetings for just before sleeping (probably lapsing into twilight consciousness ... dreams + waking dreams, both together).

What happened was that he energized the Wise Old Man archetype. The advisers "came alive" in his imagination. Because they were based upon real people, there were biographies available (imagine if they were living people with social media profiles!), and Hill would use the biographical information to enhance the waking-dream characters. The Wise Old Man found detailed faces.

Based on what he learned in biographies, Hill could anticipate realistic behavior for the people, and his character-versions of them followed suit. For example, I think it was Lincoln who was habitually late for meetings IRL, and at some point the Lincoln character started "arriving" late for Hill's "council meetings," too.

It all worked out well for Hill (he actually had thought and really had grown rich, before he wrote the book). In part, that's because the Wise Old Man is well-named (or if you prefer, Abraham Lincoln probably really would have been a better than average business management consultant). Another part is because the historical figures couldn't intrude into Hill's waking real life. They were safe projections of the archetype; confusing them with the real people had no consequences.

Bottom line: the Animus is at least ten thousand years older than this public figure, and the public figure is the latest in the at-least billion faces the Animus has worn. So, yes, that makes him an interesting fellow to spend some quality time with in dreams, but it's the Animus who's interesting that way. The real-life guy has his own real life.

Well dreamt.

• Like 1

@eight bits

this is an awesome analysis, and extremely helpful too!

It is very important to me that I don’t go directly bothering real people while I try to figure out my own dreams. What you’re saying makes a lot of sense. I’ve read briefly about the animus before so the term is not unfamiliar to me. 

If this is what is happening then I feel like I can rest easy. Hurray! I’m very comfortable with exploring my own inner world and developing as an individual. 

Thank you :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, liath_ said:

@John from Lowell

I've played with the idea of reaching out in-dream before, but I never seriously made an attempt at it...

Hi,

Well if you have an interest in reaching out to this person, there are ways to do that other than in dreams or physically contacting them.

John

8 hours ago, John from Lowell said:

Hi,

Well if you have an interest in reaching out to this person, there are ways to do that other than in dreams or physically contacting them.

John

Other than these two methods? What are they? :0 I didn't know anything else existed.

10 hours ago, liath_ said:

Other than these two methods? What are they? :0 I didn't know anything else existed.

Hi,

Not sure if you have any meditative practices. If you did, then thinking of him during that time would send him that 'reach out' kind of energy. Most likely he would feel it and not know what it was.

Another form of that meditative practice involves having imaginary conversations with him. Doing that would involve his subconscious if not his conscious awareness.

John

• Like 1