Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We are just biological machines!

Illyrius

Are we just biological machines without a soul?

Please share your thoughts :)

• Like 2

please define soul for us laypeople

And yes we are biological. I feel "machine" is a course and vague description.It is defined as an apparatus able to apply mechanical power. I consider humans more then just an apparatus

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Until science proves the existence of spiritual  energy and entity, everything will be opinion.

What is your personal opinion? Are we just biological machines?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, khol said:

please define soul for us laypeople

And yes we are biological. I feel "machine" is a course and vague description.It is defined as an apparatus able to apply mechanical power. I consider humans more then just an apparatus

What is the basic difference that separates humans from apparatus?

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Argon said:

thought for one

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, khol said:

thought for one

Is artifcial intelligence capable of thought?

• Like 1

nope, not biological machines... it's an innapropriate analogy.

I can take my bicycle, clock, oven, refrigerator and motorcycle apart, lay the parts out on the floor, reassemble them and the items will work fine, perhaps better than before.

If I take my dog, canary, spouse, neighbor apart and lay their parts out on the floor, reassemble them, they will not work.

We (identifiable self/body/mind) are systems.  We are patterns of energy within larger patterns of energy (environment).  The edges of our body do not mark where we are separate, but where we meet with the rest of the energy patterns of the universe.

The universe and us is one flowing ocean, with no distinct markers of individual events.  Our individuality is more akin to how a wave is distinguishable as an individual wave, yet is always and ever a completely merged and whole connection to the entirety of the ocean.

We are awareness. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, quiXilver said:

We are awareness.

Are machines aware?

• Like 1

Just now, quiXilver said:

How to check that I wonder? 

Me too. Maybe slapping a PC to see will it react? Gonna try.. if it reacts then i have to buy a new one.

• Like 2

I'd bend to the side of yes.  Due to the 'observer effect' in quantum and atomic systems.  The reaction of atomic and subatomic wave patterns to observers, connotes to me reflection of awareness.

My suspicion is that the ground source of all phemonema along with form/emptiness, is awareness. 

But that's just where I settle currently based on my own insights and ontological process. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

What is your personal opinion? Are we just biological machines?

The Universe is one big living spiritual organism that everything is part of and may perhaps join, then become a greater part of when it's reborn. A circle of "singularity' to "big bang" to a collapse back into a "singularity" again and so on. But I do not believe humans are large enough to be important to its growth, collapse and rebirth. Like I said in other posts. Something else will come along.

• Like 6

Though machines are very sophisticated, they cannot perform anything original. Machines do not have original thoughts. Another thing that has to be noted is that machines are not superior to humans.

Summary:

1. Machines do not have life, as they are mechanical. On the other hand, humans are made of flesh and blood; life is not mechanical for humans.

2. Humans have feelings and emotions, and they can express these emotions. Machines have no feelings and emotions. They just work as per the details fed into their mechanical brain.

3. Humans can do anything original, and machines cannot.

4. Humans have the capability to understand situations, and behave accordingly. On the contrary, machines do not have this capability.

5. While humans behave as per their consciousness, machines just perform as they are taught.

6. Humans perform activities as per their own intelligence. On the contrary, machines only have an artificial intelligence

• Like 1

What's a soul? How do you detect one?

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Humans can do anything original, and machines cannot.

Can they? Every idea or invention has been derived from something pre-existing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Can they? Every idea or invention has been derived from something pre-existing.

What is the difference between an invention and discovery?

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 1

What is the difference between an invention and discovery?

An invention is to make a device or process, a discovery is to find what already exists.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Argon said:

One is built the other is born

jmccr8 

• Like 3

Just now, Rlyeh said:

An invention is to make a device or process, a discovery is to find what already exists.

So both things involve original thoughts to produce a result. Can machines discover or invent anything which is not already programmed into them, in other words do machines have original thoughts?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Though machines are very sophisticated, they cannot perform anything original. Machines do not have original thoughts. Another thing that has to be noted is that machines are not superior to humans.

Summary:

1. Machines do not have life, as they are mechanical. On the other hand, humans are made of flesh and blood; life is not mechanical for humans.

2. Humans have feelings and emotions, and they can express these emotions. Machines have no feelings and emotions. They just work as per the details fed into their mechanical brain.

3. Humans can do anything original, and machines cannot.

4. Humans have the capability to understand situations, and behave accordingly. On the contrary, machines do not have this capability.

5. While humans behave as per their consciousness, machines just perform as they are taught.

6. Humans perform activities as per their own intelligence. On the contrary, machines only have an artificial intelligence

I expect that Walker will be along to discuss his theory of self aware toasters shortly.:rolleyes:

jmccr8 

• Like 5

Just now, jmccr8 said:

I expect that Walker will be along to discuss his theory of self aware toasters shortly.:rolleyes:

jmccr8 

I can't wait hahahahah!!!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Though machines are very sophisticated, they cannot perform anything original. Machines do not have original thoughts.

How do you know our thoughts are original?  I thought I read a headline that a computer wrote a chapter of Harry Potter or something fairly recently.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Another thing that has to be noted is that machines are not superior to humans.

Yet in countless ways they are; just a dumb ol' forklift is superior to humans in what it does.  If you are referring to something more cerebral, the world's best chess players are getting beaten by machines. 

• Like 5

So both things involve original thoughts to produce a result. Can machines discover or invent anything which is not already programmed into them, in other words do machines have original thoughts?

But are they original or combinations of ideas?

I see nothing physically preventing a machine from combining ideas.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Liquid Gardens said:

How do you know our thoughts are original?  I thought I read a headline that a computer wrote a chapter of Harry Potter or something fairly recently.

Hmmm... do you think computers will ever be able to translate text as good as humans or even better?

• Like 1

• The topic was locked