Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada bill passed for gender-neutral anthem

Still Waters

The Canadian Senate has passed a bill that changes the text of the English-language version of the national anthem to make it gender-neutral.

It now awaits royal assent by the governor general to become law.

The move is set to change the words "in all thy sons command" to "in all of us command" in the anthem, O Canada.

The private member's bill from 2016 had stalled in the Senate as Conservatives fought its passage, but it won approval on a voice vote on Wednesday.

The fight to change two words in the lyrics of O Canada has stirred a passionate debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42903355

• Like 5

Thanks Still Waters. The new lyrics are actually closer to the original lyrics than "All thy sons command".

• Like 3

Well, it's essentially illegal now to be a biologist in Canada. There are consequences for suggesting men and women are different and neglecting to use preferred gender pronouns. 

Pure lunacy. It breaks my heart.

• Like 6

It's alright your broken heart will get over it once you find something else to be outraged over.

• Like 6

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

Well, it's essentially illegal now to be a biologist in Canada. There are consequences for suggesting men and women are different and neglecting to use preferred gender pronouns. 

Pure lunacy. It breaks my heart.

elections have consequences, there is a lot more to come, 

Edited by aztek

21 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

It's alright your broken heart will get over it once you find something else to be outraged over.

If you're not outraged over the loss of free speech, you don't deserve live in a free country. 

I guess I should "Keep Calm And Sparkle On" - any problem can be resolved by ignoring reality.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

If you're not outraged over the loss of free speech, you don't deserve live in a free country. 

As a not Canadian I'm not familiar, what laws have been enacted to limit your free speech? 

• Like 1

Canada's freedom of speech (if you can call it that,) has been in a downward spiral since Trudeau took office. Universities have been the same Marxist, post-modern thought experiments we see in Southern California. You can't even voice opinions anymore unless it fits the progressive agenda. This is incredibly dangerous. 

It's now considered "child abuse" if you don't accommodate your child's gender preference. Think carefully about what that means. As with all progressive agendas, the state assumes control of your life gradually.

And as with all progressive agendas, there is no endpoint. There is no goal to be reached - it's just a constant cycle of acceptance, then push the envelope. Acceptance, then push the envelope.

Accept transgender pronouns, they push for universal bathroom privileges. Accept bathroom privileges, they push to sexualize children. Accept THAT, and now it's child abuse if you don't get your 3 year old pills and surgery because they dressed like a boy for a week.

...do you see why there is such a resistance against this kind of thinking? It literally does not stop. Oddly, no matter what the avenue, it seems to end with sexualized kids. The gay community is notorious for this. See: Kevin Spacey, Milo, etc. 

• Like 7

lol tell me just how your heart is broken by the lyrics change in 2018. 

O Canada was written in 1880 and  the lyrics have been changed in 1906, 1908, 1914, 1926 and 1980

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

As a not Canadian I'm not familiar, what laws have been enacted to limit your free speech? 

Islamaphobia (cant criticize Islam, regardless of your nationality,), transphobia (can't criticize their perverted interpretation of biology,) - those two alone are a major, major issue. And now they are law.

The importance of free speech can't be emphasized enough

• Like 4

And yup I do like to keep calm and sparkle on. You should try it sometime.

• Like 1

Just now, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

lol tell me just how your heart is broken by the lyrics change in 2018. 

O Canada was written in 1880 and  the lyrics have been changed in 1906, 1908, 1914, 1926 and 1980

Because it's another sign of the times. Because it's an unnecessary change to the culture. Because the progressive agenda, represented by a minute part of the population, is still hacking away at society and rebuilding it in their image. 

Why do I have a problem with it? Why would any one else have a problem with it? Are you so insecure in your personal identity that you are threatened by the word "sons" in a national anthem? 

Of course not. That's ridiculous. So then why the hell change it?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I guess I should "Keep Calm And Sparkle On" - any problem can be resolved by ignoring reality.

Australia changed their Anthem from Australians Sons let us rejoice, to Australians All let us rejoice back in the early 80's. And they are surviving ok. 

• Like 5

Are you so insecure in your personal identity that you are threatened by the word "sons" in a national anthem? 

I don't even know it was happening until I saw this post. Nope I am in no way insecure in my identity. Are you because you seem to have a problem with it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

And as with all progressive agendas, there is no endpoint. There is no goal to be reached - it's just a constant cycle of acceptance, then push the envelope. Acceptance, then push the envelope.

This is a very valid point I think and is something ive been trying to conceptualize myself lately. 

Take the child abuse for not catering to your childrens preferences thing. IMO there is a modicum of common sense in there, its important for a society to protect its most vulnerable and when discussing the religiously fanatic there simply has to be a legal limit on how far they can go.

BUT where does it end, not only where does it end but who gets to say where it ends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

BUT where does it end, not only where does it end but who gets to say where it ends. 

That's why the progressive agenda will fail, every time. There will always be someone lower on the totem pole until eventually they start to come full circle and eat other. We are already seeing that happening. For example, those pink hats that everyone wore to the Women's March? Those are actually offensive to trans-people as "not all women have vaginas". That's a real statement, btw.

There are simply no winners in the "oppression Olympics". All it does is open the doors for real freaks while attempting to reset our barometer for what constitutes "normal".

Transgender woman leaves wife and 7 kids to live as a 6-year-old girl

After 23 years of marriage and seven children, a transgender woman is taking a chance on living her truth — however controversial it might seem.

Stefonknee Wolscht began her transition six years ago at age 46 and now she is living as a 6-year-old girl.

It's the silence of the masses, namely Liberals, that allows that kind of garbage to happen. In Canada, were I to ever meet this freakshow, I would be required by law to refer to him as a "her", and treat this 46 year old man as a 6 year old girl. But if that's what makes them feel comfortable, right? I'm sure the 7 kids will understand why their dad started wearing dresses and walked out of their lives.

So why am I picking on Liberals? Because "the left" has boxed their identity in to a tiny little package that leaves no wiggle room. If you aren't fully supporting trans-everything, you aren't progressive. If you aren't fully supporting all aspects of abortion, you aren't progressive. Hormone therapy for kids? Yep, you better be on board. The fear of being ostracized has everyone on that side keeping their mouths shut even when they know something is morally wrong. It's very, very dangerous as policy and law is being built around their game of progressive chicken. 

Salon.com tested the edges of progressiveness last year when they published articles defending a pedophile. "He was non-practicing!" Those articles have since been removed. But rest assured, if you aren't down with pedophiles in the coming years, you too will feel the sting of name calling. Progressive thinking is necessary to balance the hard line approach of Conservatives. Democrats and Republicans need each other. There is a yin and a yang to this thing. But let either side assume complete control of the culture and we go off the deep end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

It's now considered "child abuse" if you don't accommodate your child's gender preference. Think carefully about what that means. As with all progressive agendas, the state assumes control of your life gradually.

Ohhh heaven forfend parents support children developing an identity.

some see it as identity some as mental disorder. 

there are people who think they are cats, and leopards, and devils, they implant whiskers horns, and tattoo themselves entirely, should i treat them as cats, leopards and devils?  or treat them as what they are, people?  i do not see how it is different when a biological male considers himself a 6 y.o. girl. or a girl in general.  

if you say those people are nuts, than again how is it different from trans people?, why should i see them as anything  other than what nature made them?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ohhh heaven forfend parents support children developing an identity.

What identity did you have at 9 years old?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

Medical Journals every where have classified "Body dysmorphic disorder" as a mental disorder for a long, long time. This is established Science. No different than a bodybuilder who thinks he's too small or an anorexic girl who thinks she's too fat. Do we embellish their fantasies? No? Well why not? 

there are people who think they are cats, and leopards, and devils, they implant whiskers horns, and tattoo themselves entirely, should i treat them as cats, leopards and devils?  or treat them as what they are, people?  i do not see how it is different when a biological male considers himself a 6 y.o. girl. or a girl in general.  

Bingo.

if you say those people are nuts, than again how is it different from trans people?, why should i see them as anything  other than what nature made them?

Because it's the law :tu:

Edit too add--

I can almost feel the guilt from some users reading this post. You know what the right answer is but you are afraid to say it publicly. If so, you are a big part of why this has gotten to the point of lunacy. Stand up for what is right. Keep this crap away from the kids.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

Did nature make them someone who is uncomfortable in thier own bodies?

If there is a natural hiccup in your genetic code you could potentially grow a tail, an extra toe, or limb, should you keep it?

Dark Grey, find me a 9 year old who is not fully aware of who they are and what they want in life.

The idea that we should be offended over general inclusion because general inclusion offends some people is ironic, illogical and a pandering I would not as a liberal pander to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Medical Journals every where have classified "Body dysmorphic disorder" as a mental disorder for a long, long time. This is established Science. No different than a bodybuilder who thinks he's too small or an anorexic girl who thinks she's too fat. Do we embellish their fantasies? No? Well why not? 

Bingo.

Because it's the law :tu:

Edit too add--

I can almost feel the guilt from some users reading this post. You know what the right answer is but you are afraid to say it publicly. If so, you are a big part of why this has gotten to the point of lunacy. Stand up for what is right. Keep this crap away from the kids.

We have discussed the mental disorder part of this before.

The mental disorder of Body Dysmorphia is the part pre-op or pre-change.

The dis order in the mental state is when the person is unhappy or dis jointed because they do not feel they fit in thier body.

And a quick note. These changes to the anthem now mean that the ladies, (natural born women) are included. They have had to sing an anthem for the men for a long time.

Well done Canada!

• Like 3