Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WH wants 72 % cut to clean energy research

Farmer77

Place people who are wholly owned by the fossil fuel industry in office and they'll ensure your nation remains owned by the fossil fuel industry 

White House seeks 72 percent cut to clean energy research, underscoring administration’s preference for fossil fuels

The Trump administration is poised to ask Congress for deep budget cuts in the Energy Department's renewable energy and energy efficiency programs, slashing them by 72 percent overall in fiscal 2019, according to draft budget documentsobtained by The Washington Post. 

• Like 8

:mellow:   another step backwards but I saw it coming.....

• Like 9

cut wasteful spending, good idea, let private companies who are in clean energy business  pay for their research themselves,  we do not need another Solyndra, 80B out of the window, nothing to show for.  complete scam, thanks obama. trump is absolutely correct, again

Edited by aztek
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Weird, he just slapped a tariff on Chinese solar panels too.  https://www.vox.com/world/2018/1/23/16920984/solar-panel-china-trump-tariff-washers-south-korea

Its almost like he's trying to ensure the profits of one sector of the economy ....nooo couldn't be could it ?

In 2011, Scott Pruitt got a letter from an oil company, put his letterhead on it, and sent it to the EPA

As attorney general of Oklahoma, Scott Pruitt worked closely with the fossil fuel industry in his state. So closely, in fact, that when Devon Energy, one of Oklahoma’s biggest oil and gas companies, emailed him a draft letter in 2011 opposing a federal effort to limit methane gas leaking from drilling operations, Pruitt changed a few words, put the letter on his own letterhead, and sent it to the US Environmental Protection Agency.

Devon Energy was pleased. “Outstanding!” William Whitsitt, who directed government relations at the company, emailed Pruitt after Pruitt’s office sent their letter to the EPA as though it was written by the attorney general himself, the New York Times reported. “The timing of the letter is great, given our meeting this Friday with both E.P.A. and the White House

• Like 5

Just now, Gromdor said:

Weird, he just slapped a tariff on Chinese solar panels too.  https://www.vox.com/world/2018/1/23/16920984/solar-panel-china-trump-tariff-washers-south-korea

another right move,  he is absolutely correct , again, with low prices for china made panels it would never be profitable to make our own,  you can expect solar panel factories in usa open up, create jobs, and bring up the economy

• Like 2

Just now, aztek said:

another right move,  he is absolutely correct , again, with low prices for china made panels it would never be profitable to make our own,  you can expect solar panel factories in usa open up, create jobs, and bring up the economy

Sure if you have no concern with undue corporate influence or the long term wellbeing of the nation and world than an argument could be made it was the right move. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

The Trump administration issued tariffs after considering the recommendations of an independent, bipartisan panel called the US International Trade Commission. That panel was tasked with measuring how the influx of foreign solar panels has caused harm to domestic manufacturers, and submitted recommendations for tariffs based on their assessment of the damages. On balance, those recommendations came out to around 30 percent tariffs on solar panels.

About a decade ago China was a minor player in solar panel manufacturing, but today it’s a global powerhouse and creates more than two-thirds of the world’s panels. Its dominance has taken a toll in production in the US: More than a dozen US solar panel manufacturers have shuttered factories in the past six years, in part because they’ve been unable to compete with Chinese producers.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Who needs clean energy when you have "cleeeean coal"?

You can attack and spout a narrative... or you can read the prior post by Aztek.  The government is NOT an effective entity for such research.  Replacement fuels will be found when there is a real profit incentive for them in private industry.  Thinking that Trump is intentionally gutting "clean fuels" to pander to his voters in coal country is just another mindless jab at the president.  Or maybe you think the Progs understand the business better than a multi-billionaire?  PROFIT is not obscene.  Money makes the world go round...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, aztek said:

The Trump administration issued tariffs after considering the recommendations of an independent, bipartisan panel called the US International Trade Commission. That panel was tasked with measuring how the influx of foreign solar panels has caused harm to domestic manufacturers, and submitted recommendations for tariffs based on their assessment of the damages. On balance, those recommendations came out to around 30 percent tariffs on solar panels.

About a decade ago China was a minor player in solar panel manufacturing, but today it’s a global powerhouse and creates more than two-thirds of the world’s panels. Its dominance has taken a toll in production in the US: More than a dozen US solar panel manufacturers have shuttered factories in the past six years, in part because they’ve been unable to compete with Chinese producers.

It seems at first that the attitude of some here is baffling when they make such silly accusations.  I finally figured it out a few years back, though. (Hey, I'm a trusting individual by nature)  The previous 8 years were a vision of what the Prog/Globalists desire for America.  We needed to be taken down a few notches and made just another common nation, subservient to THEIR interests, of course.  Every action of Obama's 8 years helped to push that agenda.  IMO, the man was a traitor and deserved execution as such.  

We are on the cusp of a serious choice in this nation.  Do we allow ourselves to be turned back into Obama's dream or do we stand and fight it with everything we have, including our lives?  Those who roll their eyes are either too ignorant to see the obvious truth, or they're complicit.

• Like 2

i agree, thou i would not credit Obama much, he was a post turtle, a fall guy for people in power who we do not know or see. those globalists whose interests he served, not our interests

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

Do you want government in business or not? Tariffs are governments interfering in free trade.

• Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

Do you want government in business or not? Tariffs are governments interfering in free trade.

yes, on some level, we need gvmnt in business.  this is a perfect example why we need it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

And when applied correctly - RARE, I know - it is done with an eye towards benefitting home-grown industries.  Far different from bankrolling pet projects and determining winners and losers.  I'd be all for helping a start-up that had PROVEN it had a new method or system that would revolutionize an industry.  Said help would only be a LOAN, however.

• Like 3

From the Washington Post article linked in the opening thread post.... 

Spending for the Energy Department's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy is set at a $2.04 billion level for the current fiscal year, which ends Oct. 1. Last year the administration asked for just $636.1 million , a decline of over two-thirds, though Congress did not implement the request. For 2019, the administration's draft proposal would lower that request even further to $575.5 million.

Now, I'm not sure what the term "administration" means ... the Obama administration, or the energy Department itself ? 

Did nobody pick up on this ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

Ooops - my mistake in the above. BOTH cuts where proposed by the Trump administration. 

This "Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy" has been going since the 1970's, I believe ? Does anyone know what it has accomplished ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aztek said:

Har har har.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ooops - my mistake in the above. BOTH cuts where proposed by the Trump administration. 

This "Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy" has been going since the 1970's, I believe ? Does anyone know what it has accomplished ? 

Mostly boring number stuff.  They are the guys who figure out the "Energy Star" savings stickers you see on appliances and tax credits for upgrading your insulation.  https://energy.gov/eere/about-office-energy-efficiency-and-renewable-energy

They brag about saving 230 billion with their increased efficiency. https://energy.gov/eere/about-office-energy-efficiency-and-renewable-energy

But honestly are they saving money?  If a house has crappy insulation and needs twice as much energy to heat it, wouldn't the energy company lose that savings in profits?

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with government not sponsoring research that belongs in the private sector.  I'm sick of subsidizing the rich.  Who do you think benefits from the grants for clean energy research were paying for from my pocket?  Wealthy clean energy company owners that's who.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't have a problem with government not sponsoring research that belongs in the private sector.  I'm sick of subsidizing the rich.  Who do you think benefits from the grants for clean energy research were paying for from my pocket?  Wealthy clean energy company owners that's who.

I'm in favor of the Chinese doing it, but I don't want to pay the extra 30% tariff just because my fellow Americans couldn't compete. All in or all out, IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

*ahem* 1500 dollar hammers *ahem*

The Government is not efficient, guys. We know this. So why are we expecting anything different in the energy sector? We went over a lot of this Paris accords thread.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I'm in favor of the Chinese doing it, but I don't want to pay the extra 30% tariff just because my fellow Americans couldn't compete. All in or all out, IMO.

I'm also against tariffs.  I'm all for a completely free market without government interference.

For these handouts that are being cut were the clean energy companies going to share their profits with me for the investment of my tax dollars?  If their research is worthwhile it will pay off and be a good investment for them, if it's not then why should the government waste my money subsidizing or completely funding it.  It's just another rich boy scam that doesn't help the little guy bearing the cost.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I'm also against tariffs.  I'm all for a completely free market without government interference.

For these handouts that are being cut were the clean energy companies going to share their profits with me for the investment of my tax dollars?  If their research is worthwhile it will pay off and be a good investment for them, if it's not then why should the government waste my money subsidizing or completely funding it.  It's just another rich boy scam that doesn't help the little guy bearing the cost.

The solar energy subsidies don't anger me as much as the pharmaceuticals. 

• Like 5