Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl, 12, in custody after LA school shooting

Still Waters

A 12-year-old girl has been taken into custody after a handgun she allegedly took into a Los Angeles school inside a backpack went off and injured two students.

https://news.sky.com/story/girl-12-suspected-of-shooting-in-los-angeles-school-11232570

A 12-year-old girl remains in juvenile hall and was booked for negligent discharge of a firearm after Thursday's shooting at a Los Angeles middle school.

The shooting, which left four students and an adult injured at the Sal Castro Middle School, is being considered "unintentional," said Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Tony Im.

Detectives are continuing to investigate the shooting. Lt. Chris Ramirez with the LAPD said negligent can mean many things, but most likely a "mishandling."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/02/us/los-angeles-school-shooting/index.html

• Like 2

I just read theyre calling it accidental. Lock your guns up folks. 

• Like 7

4 people injured? Damn that sucks. Why bring such a thing to school to begin with though? What was she planning to do with it?  

• Like 3

As I've said before, I'm staying out of the whole gun debate. Surely though, there must be more that can be done to protect kids in schools.

Young lives being endangered in a place of learning is just plain obscene :no:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I just read theyre calling it accidental. Lock your guns up folks. 

I am all for the right to own and carry legal guns. I own 14 guns myself. But you HAVE to be responsible and lock them up.

• Like 6

A 12yo girl had access to a gun? Classy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Why not said:

I am all for the right to own and carry legal guns. I own 14 guns myself. But you HAVE to be responsible and lock them up.

I'm pro second amendment as well but I'm really starting to think perhaps we need to figure out a compromise in order to keep that right. 

IDK ive just recently been bouncing the concepts around so it's not a fully formed thought yet.  

Maybe  there is a way we could work out a local militia system which is independent of the federal government yet still accountable on some level for the storage of weapons for common defense . (granted my take on the 2nd is all about protection from tyranny, not necessarily personal protection) 

IDK even as I'm typing it out I see the myriad of problems with the concept but perhaps its time we sat down and did the hard work of figuring out something better before the public outcry becomes too deafening for legislators to ignore and we lose our rights. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I understand people and their right to own guns which is fine, but they should be in a place where a 12 year old doesn’t have access to them. In my country the gun laws are normally quite tight and at 12 I’d never even seen a real gun, let alone have access to one. This is so scary

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 7:10 AM, preacherman76 said:

4 people injured? Damn that sucks. Why bring such a thing to school to begin with though? What was she planning to do with it?  

We just had a major school shooting.  Perhaps she was taking the advice to arm herself to heart. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

We just had a major school shooting.  Perhaps she was taking the advice to arm herself to heart. 

No one is suggesting arming 12 year olds. 

As a gun owner and hunter all my guns are always under lock and key, I even made sure that the gun safe that could be carried by a strong man was Bolted to the floor.  As a child Many,  Many decades ago. I was raised around them and was more afraid of what my father would have done to me then what the law would do. my fathers gun were never locked up and I never, I repeat in big Bold screaming letters NEVER. touched them without permission. How times change.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

No one is suggesting arming 12 year olds. 

Hah, I really need to introduce you guys to my Facebook friends/co-workers. 

• Like 1

A 12 year old near here brought a rifle to school this week and took it into a bathroom and shot himself. If it was an attempt at suicide he was unsuccessful, he's in the hospital but it was scary. How did he get a rifle on and off the bus and all the way into a boys rest room? 

• Like 2

So what are the repercussions for parents if their child gets hold of their guns? Are there any repercussions? At minimum, I would suggest the parent(s) lose their gun license. The penalties for allowing a kid access to your weapons should be severe and long lasting. Maybe even jail time? Really make a statement that this is NOT allowed to happen. Too many school shooters grabbed guns that were already at home. Part of "restricting access" to guns begins at home before any new laws are even proposed.

Edit to add--

They're, their, there.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, skliss said:

A 12 year old near here brought a rifle to school this week and took it into a bathroom and shot himself. If it was an attempt at suicide he was unsuccessful, he's in the hospital but it was scary. How did he get a rifle on and off the bus and all the way into a boys rest room? 

:mellow::mellow: 12 years old...wow

11 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Even if that was meant as a joke, you could be right. Kids are not dumb - they know what it means to "fight fire with fire". They just don't understand all the consequences yet.

• Like 1

Just now, skliss said:

. How did he get a rifle on and off the bus and all the way into a boys rest room? 

depends what kind of a rifle, some are made to brake apart into smaller parts, and can be brought in a book bag

4 hours ago, aztek said:

depends what kind of a rifle, some are made to brake apart into smaller parts, and can be brought in a book bag

We had speculated an instrument case. I drove my son on band days as he picked the snare drum. My friends son attends that school....she said all the buses are equipped with cameras so they'll be able to check those.

Just now, skliss said:

We had speculated an instrument case. I drove my son on band days as he picked the snare drum. My friends son attends that school....she said all the buses are equipped with cameras so they'll be able to check those.

ever seen desperado? his guitar case looked like it had aguitar in it. 

il_570xN.1417121519_cp3y.jpg

Edited by aztek

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

ever seen desperado? his guitar case looked like it had guitars in it. 

Yes I've seen it., and  I'm sure it was something like that....which brings up another point..  I realize this kids parents are heart wrenched and overcome by what has happened...but I do think that there needs to be some kind of stringent punishments, the "making an example of" kind for the parents of any child who by action or inaction allowed their child to have access to firearms.

Just now, skliss said:

Yes I've seen it., and  I'm sure it was something like that....which brings up another point..  I realize this kids parents are heart wrenched and overcome by what has happened...but I do think that there needs to be some kind of stringent punishments, the "making an example of" kind for the parents of any child who by action or inaction allowed their child to have access to firearms.

no arguments here, throw a book at them

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

So what are the repercussions for parents if their child gets hold of their guns? Are there any repercussions? At minimum, I would suggest the parent(s) lose their gun license. The penalties for allowing a kid access to your weapons should be severe and long lasting. Maybe even jail time? Really make a statement that this is NOT allowed to happen. Too many school shooters grabbed guns that were already at home. Part of "restricting access" to guns begins at home before any new laws are even proposed.

Edit to add--

They're, their, there.

Here-friggin-here. Those who are negligent with their firearms need to be held responsible. The child should never, ever have had the opportunity to access a weapon.

• Like 1

That’s the result of kids being taught how to responsible use firearms Aztek. You respect it for what it is, you use it in extremis and you’re very very careful. 

17 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That’s the result of kids being taught how to responsible use firearms Aztek. You respect it for what it is, you use it in extremis and you’re very very careful. 

yes, and that is exactly what nra is doing,  now you see real results,