Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can pets make us healthier ?

UM-Bot

Anything which can get people out and walking, out and getting exercise, out and getting fresh air, out in general and stops them becoming a couched potato, then for sure having a dog can help people to keep healthier.

But as he says,  the size of the dog and breed matters and so does the persons own mindset when it comes to their own wellbeing.

I have 2 dogs, everyday, 3 times a day, they get a walk. The westie would be quite happy just to plod along slowly and piddle and sniff  on 'ever  re  blooming'  blade of grass, where as the cocker wants to fetch ball...this is what keeps me healthy,  running in the field and throwing and kicking the ball about. 

A couple of times a week we go for a good long walk along the river,  this is our choice, we decide we are going to do the walk, the dogs would be quite content with just their field run, so my point is.....if you have a dog, yes they can improve your health as long as you are prepared and want to go for healthy walks.  Unfortunately, some people do not.

• Like 4

My Ringo (2.5 year old Australian Shepherd collie) has to be walked every day...and I mean walked (aka, miles). Recently my doctor gave me that cardiac treadmill test (he tests all his patients in their mid 60's). My results, let's just say the examiner asked me if I was some type athletic instructor. They had to switch me to the treadmill that allows running in order to push my heart rate.

So, the answer to this one is: Yes, pets can make your healthier. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

My Ringo (2.5 year old Australian Shepherd collie) has to be walked every day...and I mean walked (aka, miles). Recently my doctor gave me that cardiac treadmill test (he tests all his patients in their mid 60's). My results, let's just say the examiner asked me if I was some type athletic instructor. They had to switch me to the treadmill that allows running in order to push my heart rate.

So, the answer to this one is: Yes, pets can make your healthier. 

After reading about the breed of dog you have, your dog is very fortunate to have you as its owner and i think you may feel fortunate to have such a wonderful dog.

This below certainly does not apply to you,  or me and all responsible dog owners, but i am pointing out how important it is to know the breed of the dog before just going for what it looks like.

This is an immensely active breed, what with both the parents being working dogs and all. If you are the kind to snuggle up on the couch with your dog and watch TV or read a book, then please get another breed, as this will be the most wrong choice of dog for you.

https://dogappy.com/australian-shepherd-border-collie-mix-characteristics

• Like 1

I'm retired and a bit of the energizer bunny type myself, so this breed was perfect for me actually. Borders and Aussies are not couch spuds and despite being cute (my Ringo is black and white spotted with big blue eyes) he's very much like a hyper active toddler. I live in a more rural area (plenty of walking trails) and have my back garden fenced. Yeah, one has to pick the breed that fits ones lifestyle. 

If I'm still above ground and doing ok when Ringo goes to the rainbow bridge I will probably get myself one of those little King Charles Cavaliers. They are small dogs who tend to be a bit more mellow (but generally aren't yappers). 

• Like 3

We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and I can say they make us healthy, in heart and mind as well as physically. ;)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, freetoroam said:

This is an immensely active breed, what with both the parents being working dogs and all. If you are the kind to snuggle up on the couch with your dog and watch TV or read a book, then please get another breed, as this will be the most wrong choice of dog for you.

I can't stand people who get working dogs as pets and keep them kenneled or on a lease. I gave my coworker's son a reaming for have a house bound border after he told me it was becoming aggressive. The boys and one girl here are loose. They know their zone. They don't bother turkeys, geese or even chase deer. They do kill rats and snakes though and chase people up to the property's edge.

• Like 1