Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Proof of Younger Dryas Impact Event

Piney

Saw this earlier today - I think they have found evidence that wildfires occurred, as they do today ..... 

I am still undecided on the "Clovis Comet" hypothesis.  I dont discount it.  But I am wary of interpreting evidence as providing proof for that whilst discounting any other possible interpretation.

• Like 3

I'll have to read this one. I haven't been convinced before. But I've worked with one of the coauthors on this new one, so I'll give it a whirl.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Thanks for posting this Piney. I've added these two papers to my YDIH reference thread: 

Carn, they have an excellent table of related papers in this paper. I'm sure you'll have most of them, but if not, then you may be able to add some.

list_yd_papers.JPG

Edited by Socks Junior
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Socks Junior said:

I'll have to read this one. I haven't been convinced before. But I've worked with one of the coauthors on this new one, so I'll give it a whirl.

I was out in pingos shaking the sand with Bonofiglio and George "You know Who". One of the advo guys brought a piece of tektite into the museum but wouldn't give us a location so we called bull**** on his evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Saw this earlier today - I think they have found evidence that wildfires occurred, as they do today ..... 

Yup, It did go from very wet to very dry. 

28 minutes ago, Socks Junior said:

Carn, they have an excellent table of related papers in this paper. I'm sure you'll have most of them, but if not, then you may be able to add some.

list_yd_papers.JPG

I'll hopefully get around to updating the list with those additional papers sometime soon.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The evidence of an impact as the cause of the Younger Dryas gets weaker by the day.  However, an impact is a sexy idea, so everybody keeps looking.

I had the idea that the Carolina Bays were impact features caused by the Younger Dryas impactor.  It was said that when you lined up their long axes, they pointed to a spot above the ice sheet near Lake Nipigon.  But I checked that with several of them and they pointed to Cincinnati.  And a large number also pointed toward Nova Scotia.  Two impacts?  C14 dates on the bays show that they are much older and that different bays are of different ages.  Many impacts?  Then somebody noted that they line up with prevailing ice age winds - the mounds on the downwind side are sand dunes!  Then somebody drilled into the edge of one of them and found coral.  Now the idea is that they are collapse features caused by dissolution of coral heads and that they have been reshaped by wind during glacial maxima.  Another neat idea bites the dust.

At any rate, the beginning of the Younger Dryas coincides with the catastrophic draining of Lake Agassiz, then the largest freshwater lake on earth.  That would have been enough to shut down the Gulf Stream and bring the return of ice age conditions.  The ice dam that held back Lake Agassiz could have collapsed all by itself, without the aid of an impactor.  The Younger Dryas Cold Period probably resulted from warming conditions at the edge of the ice - oh the irony.

Doug