Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Waspie_Dwarf

First Extragalactic Planets Discovered

Waspie_Dwarf

OU Astrophysicists Discover Extragalactic Planets for First Time

A University of Oklahoma astrophysics team has discovered for the first time a population of planets beyond the Milky Way galaxy. Using microlensing—an astronomical phenomenon and the only known method capable of discovering planets at truly great distances from the Earth among other detection techniques—OU researchers were able to detect objects in extragalactic galaxies that range from the mass of the Moon to the mass of Jupiter.

Xinyu Dai, professor in the Homer L. Dodge Department of Physics and Astronomy, OU College of Arts and Sciences, with OU postdoctoral researcher Eduardo Guerras, made the discovery with data from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Chandra X-ray Observatory, a telescope in space that is controlled by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory.

arrow3.gif  Read More: The University of Oklahoma

• Like 7

Noxasa

Will be interesting to see if critical peer review confirms it.  Although intra-galaxy micro-lensing has been needed to find candidate rogue planets in our own galaxy it seems remarkable that that same approach could be used to detect inter-galaxy rogue planets through one galaxy into an even more distant galaxy.  It is fascinating to think it could work at that scale, but I wonder.

Tatetopa

That is pretty amazing.  Hopefully it will be validated.   I flash back to Carl Sagan saying "Billions and billions", of galaxies, of planets.  Shame on me, I didn't know anything was going on at the University of Oklahoma.

Tom the Photon

Sorry guys and gals - this one's b-s-.  

NASA have confirmed 3605 exoplanets (as of 1st Feb), the most distant of which is 8500 pc (28 000 light-years).  If these preposterous claims are to be believed they have suddenly increased the maximum range by 13.5 million %.

Off the top of my head I can dream up a dozen credible explanations for the observed aberrations.  And yes - I DO understand the science of gravitational lensing, but I also understand its limits.

https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/TblView/nph-tblView?app=ExoTbls&config=planets