Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does North Korea want reunification?

fred_mc

Kim Jong Un/North Korea has several times made statements about aiming for unification of the two Korean states. I guess that Kim must be intelligent enough to understand that this would mean the end of his regime, that the people of South Korea would never agree to Kim Jong Un as their ruler but the North Korean people may very well agree to living under a South Korean system. Why do you think that Kim is talking about reunification even though he must know that it is a suicide mission for himself? Does Kim have a secret plan on how he could still live and prosper in a unified Korea, and what might that plan be?

Edited by fred_mc

Because they might consider it preferable to a constant state of nearly-war and the constant threat that this state of nearly-war might become actual-war depending on the whim of whoever the current US President and his "advisors" may be? 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 3

By "re-unify" he means "take over the south militarily and maintain control with large scale demonstrations of torture and murder of those who go against the regime", although I do feel its all hot air meant for the propaganda machine in north Korea and he knows it.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, fred_mc said:

Kim Jong Un/North Korea has several times made statements about aiming for unification of the two Korean states. I guess that Kim must be intelligent enough to understand that this would mean the end of his regime, that the people of South Korea would never agree to Kim Jong Un as their ruler but the North Korean people may very well agree to living under a South Korean system. Why do you think that Kim is talking about reunification even though he must know that it is a suicide mission for himself? Does Kim have a secret plan on how he could still live and prosper in a unified Korea, and what might that plan be?

Strength in numbers would be my guess.

At this stage of the American Empire I can envision the argument of "hey we don't know WTF theyre gonna do next, lets team up" as being more persuasive than in the past. 

• Like 2

On 04/02/2018 at 5:37 PM, fred_mc said:

Because North Korea is a shithole run by a ****ing lunatic who is mad enough to think that if there was only one Korea, he’d be in charge of all of it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Because North Korea is a shithole run by a ****ing lunatic who is mad enough to think that if there was only one Korea, he’d be in charge of all of it.

That's the kind of subtle analysis El Trumpo would be pleased with.

13 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

That's the kind of subtle analysis El Trumpo would be pleased with.

You AND the horse you rode in on can go jump! :P

• Like 3

On 2/4/2018 at 7:37 AM, fred_mc said:

perhaps he just doesn't want to end up dead or have the humiliation of being deposed as North Korea comes under more pressure -  

but wants to carry on as a leader in some capacity - and might fancy the glory of being the one to unify Korea -  ?

36 minutes ago, bee said:

perhaps he just doesn't want to end up dead or have the humiliation of being deposed as North Korea comes under more pressure -  

but wants to carry on as a leader in some capacity - and might fancy the glory of being the one to unify Korea -  ?

I highly doubt he’s after unification glory.

• Like 2

I think its more of a propaganda statement that a workable goal.  The idea of a reunified Korea is similar to the idea of Israel before it's creation, or a Palestinian state, or even the Levant that ISIS was proposing. It gives the faithful hope.  If he were to abandon the concept, he would abandon the faithful.  And who knows, in another 50 years his grandson or great grandson might be a more reasonable sort and actually do it.

Trump threatens to bomb NK and the North predictably plays nice with the south and the world.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Trump threatens to bomb NK and the North predictably plays nice with the south and the world.

Isnt that what everyone wants?  :tu:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essan said:

It's the best outcome we can hope for...  It was amazing how quickly Iran moderated their behavior and rhetoric when we invaded Iraq.  Remove the threat of force and the real ambitions come back to the fore.  Un may have dreams of ruling over a unified Korea but I doubt he expects it anytime soon. :)   Meanwhile, he leads a regime that is nuclear-armed and is perfecting long-range delivery systems.  He seems so paranoid that he suddenly decides to gruesomely dispatch family members that once were trusted parts of the government.  I don't imagine that he's the equivalent of a crazed Jihadi and willing to die for his version of heaven but if he's that jumpy over possible plots against his rule, he might just overreact at some point and start something no one wants.  I think we should quietly take out his "satellites" that are in a polar orbit over the U.S.  That, and clearly state that we'll continue to remove any such thing that regularly orbits over the U.S.  The greatest danger, by far, to the U.S. from NK is an EMP sucker-punch.  If he pulled that off, even though our subs could turn the entirety of his country into glass slag, it might still be the end of us.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Essan said:

yeah, we're not always going to have an even more crazy guy than the NK leader in the oval office, so how do we convince the North to do it more often? 

4 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

yeah, we're not always going to have an even more crazy guy than the NK leader in the oval office, so how do we convince the North to do it more often? 

Right, Trump is even worse/crazier than Kim...Trump has killed 100's of thousands of American citizens, imprisoned in work camps 100's of thousands more and the majority of American citizens are currently starving...oops! Perhaps you might want to re-think which leader is the craziest there? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Where did you get this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Right, Trump is even worse/crazier than Kim...Trump has killed 100's of thousands of American citizens, imprisoned in work camps 100's of thousands more and the majority of American citizens are currently starving...oops! Perhaps you might want to re-think which leader is the craziest there? 

I'm pretty sure Trump hasn't brutally murdered members of his own family and their children and grandchildren either...

"In December 2013, Kim Jong-un's uncle Jang Song-thaek was arrested and executed for treachery. Jang is believed to have been executed by firing squad. Yonhap has stated that, according to multiple unnamed sources, Kim Jong-un has also put to death members of Jang's family, to completely destroy all traces of Jang's existence through "extensive executions" of his family, including the children and grandchildren of all close relatives. Those reportedly killed in Kim's purge include Jang's sister Jang Kye-sun, her husband and ambassador to Cuba, Jon Yong-jin, and Jang's nephew and ambassador to Malaysia, Jang Yong-chol. The nephew's two sons were also said to have been killed. At the time of Jang's removal, it was announced that "the discovery and purge of the Jang group ... made our party and revolutionary ranks purer ..." and after his execution on 12 December 2013 state media warned that the army "will never pardon all those who disobey the order of the Supreme Commander"."

Let's not let reality get in the way of political bias though :rolleyes:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

That "crazy guy" puts out a few tweets and suddenly Kim Jong Un, the lynch pin for nuclear holocaust, is ready to talk peace with South Korea.

I find it interesting that Obama, arguably the most diplomatic and well read of all recent Presidents, couldn't do the same. In fact, he got no where with Lil' Kim. 

If I was you, I would be thanking the "crazy guy" in the oval office - he may have just single handedly saved your bacon. Maybe he isn't so crazy after all. 

• Like 1

It amazes me how these libs compare Trump to Kim, Hitler or Stalin. Yes Trump might be boisterous. But a murderer he's Not.

• Like 2

I think the point is that some think Frump might just be the one US president stupid enough to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on NK.   And amongst those fearing that is Kim ... (knowing that if it happened, whatever the global consequences, it's all over for him and his clan)

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:37 AM, fred_mc said:

I think the plan is they decide between themselves without any international interference.

Maybe some form of dual monarchy? One elected (the south president) and one hereditary (Kim Jong_Un).