Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Yuba Incident aka The American Dyatlov Pa

I'mConvinced

Two hours before midnight last Feb. 24, when the basketball game ended at the California State University at Chico, five young men from the flatlands 50 miles to the south climbed into a turquoise and white 1969 Mercury Montego and drove out of the parking lot. They were fans of the visiting team, which had won. They stopped three blocks away at Behr's Market, mildly annoying the clerk (who was trying to close up), and bought one Hostess cherry pie, one Langendorf lemon pie, one Snickers bar, one Marathon bar, two Pepsis and a quart and a half of milk.

Then they walked out of the store, got back in their car, drove south out of Chico and disappeared.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1978/07/06/5-boys-who-never-come-back/f8b30b11-baeb-4351-89f3-26456a76a4fb/?utm_term=.f88bc8b72213

Discussion:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/6ni625/the_american_dyatlov_pass_five_young_men_abandon/

The more you read this one the stranger it gets.

• Like 2

I have no ideas but thank you for posting this.  Never heard about it before and have just spent a considerable time reading through a lot of the discussions.  Very interesting, tragic and an enigma.  Like the Dyatlov case probably the truth will never be known.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

I have no ideas but thank you for posting this.

No problem, it's a fascinating case. People talk about them being coerced up there, forced against their will somehow. My problem with any of that is that they had to break in to the cabin, doesn't seem likely to me that someone would lead them to a cabin and then force them to break in through a window.

• Like 1

Their night out become a crazy mess...

Maybe they have taken some LSD ? Became disoriented and lost themselves while chasing fairies ? Don't know if they have done forensic research on the frozen corpse for drugs...

Known someone who have eaten mushroom (Fly agaric) to test the hallucinating effect with one of his friend and both got stuck 6 days in a cabin unable to find the door and call for help... It's the wife of one of them who found them and called an ambulance after not receiving any news from their fishing trip. They are okay but thing can go bad quite fast.

Edited by Jon the frog

4 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

You know weirdly this story is lining up with some of the common attributes of the Missing411 stories. 

Granted its just the two things thus far (I'm still reading) , mentally challenged individuals being found many hard miles from where they should have been. 

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

You know weirdly this story is lining up with some of the common attributes of the Missing411 stories. 

Not aware of those, I'll look them up. I'm still fact checking this story, certain elements may have been made up or exaggerated over the years.

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Maybe they have taken some LSD ? Became disoriented and lost themselves while chasing fairies ? Don't know if they have done forensic research on the frozen corpse for drugs...

I'm not sure they did any testing but from the details of the individuals involved it seems unlikely. They had a big sports game to play themselves the very next day, they had no history of illicit substance use and had been looking forward to the following day for a long time. 

Very interesting!

There were a few details that caught my attention as I was reading. Joseph Shones says he saw headlights and people about 50 yards away from where his Volkswagen was stuck. 50 yards is not a long distance at all; I’ve walked a lot farther in shopping mall parking lots. 

He claims that two different times he called out for help. Why didn’t he just walk the 150 feet to where the people were? He later walked a full eight miles to get to the Mountain House lodge, so it wasn’t as if he didn’t have the stamina to walk a short distance to the Mercury.

The Mercury was found the following Tuesday. When did Mr. Shones return to retrieve his Volkswagen? If his car was stuck in the snow, he would’ve needed a tow truck (or at least a vehicle powerful enough to pull the car from the snow). If he was hospitalized due to the mild heart attack, and his car was retrieved by someone else, why isn’t there any eyewitness reports (concerning the Mercury) from them?

If Mr. Shones returned anytime in the next four days after getting stuck, he would’ve passed the Mercury at least 2 more times. I’d think a stranded vehicle on a remote road, especially when people were seen near the vehicle on Friday night, would be enough reason for him to notify the police.

It would be interesting to read the full police report to see if any of those questions were answered.

Edited by simplybill