Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mantra, Affirmations and Auto-Suggestion.

Crazy Horse

I am a great believer in affirmations, mantras and auto-suggestion. Why, because I have tried them and I have noticed the difference.

These little phrases, repeated, can have a huge affect upon the mind and therefore the body too.

Some of my latest mantras are, "everyday in everyway, I am getting better." Very simple and yet very powerful. Another one I use, because of my spiritual inclinations is, "I see and hear and experience God everyday." And then the natural one that follows is, "I express my Godlinesss."

Every morning I have a meditation programme that goes through a whole host of different mantras and affirmations, but at the same time I also try to feel that "thing" and visualise it too.

Peace is a great one - say, feel and visualise peace - and notice the difference around you!

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who practices this type of thing.

There are some more, metaphysical mantras too.

• Like 6

I use them myself. I find that it takes affirmation, action, and attitude to get the most of it. Affirmations can be a kind of glue to the other two. 

• Like 5

Lead us from un-reality into greater reality.

I AM You and You Are Me.

I AM One with All and All is One in Me.

(What about mudras?)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I use them myself. I find that it takes affirmation, action, and attitude to get the most of it. Affirmations can be a kind of glue to the other two. 

Could you explain a little?

Like which affirmations, what actions and what kind of attitude too?

For me, just saying "everyday in every way, I am getting better", just repeating this maybe 20/30 times a day, at least, affects my whole self. Its pretty amazing. And the "I see and hear and experience God each and every day" also has a profound affect.

And what kind of results do you see?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. Sister Elle Sade Ai Ni said:

Lead us from un-reality into greater reality.

I AM You and You Are Me.

I AM One with All and All is One in Me.

(What about mudras?)

Please tell us about mudras, this is something I know little about.

Ive seen Tibetan monks do this when they are receiving a blessing or something, but I never got into it myself.

And then there is symbolism in general, after all, letters, words and mantras are basically symbols!

I like, "Om Mani Padme Hum".

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Could you explain a little?

Like which affirmations, what actions and what kind of attitude too?

For me, just saying "everyday in every way, I am getting better", just repeating this maybe 20/30 times a day, at least, affects my whole self. Its pretty amazing. And the "I see and hear and experience God each and every day" also has a profound affect.

And what kind of results do you see?

I'll give you the full details later. I'm at work so I do not have the time to lay it all out. But I will do so this evening.

• Like 3

Seems like everyone has their own way of saying their "Hail Marys".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Seems like everyone has their own way of saying their "Hail Marys".

A Hail Mary is more a prayer to a spiritual being, asking for help and showing gratitude.

An affirmation, such as, "I am awake", will have a noticeable affect upon the individual.

This is powerful stuff!!!

• Like 3

I do auto-suggestion. Mostly a meditation thing rather than anything else. Simple rituals, placebo witchery.

I do a relaxation trick for sleep- start at one point of the body and slowly, with repetition for each body part (I like three times), relax each body part. Repeat, telling each body part to sleep. Sometimes the trick of telling yourself of wake up at a certain time- I'm good at that one. I used to be ok at telling myself lucid dreaming instructions, but I haven't bothered with it in a while.

I do a couple other relaxation/calming tricks that aren't really mantras or affirmations themselves, but I use repeat phrasing of auto-suggestion to lull the meditation along. Not sure if they count or not, but I'll throw them in here.

The candle trick. While relaxed I clear my mind of all but a candle. Then I "become the candle", calmly burning away whatever it is that needs to be released. Usually stress or pain related with physical stuff. The mantra here is "I am the candle. I have no flesh, I have no bones- only wick and wax that melts away". This one is best in the bathtub while it's hot and relaxed and the mind is more willing to slip the body into.. well, a puddle of relaxed wax.

Let it go bridge. This one I use to "drop my world away". I visualize standing on a bridge over a creek, a basket of stones next to me. I clear my mind and "look into" the creek, letting it flow my thoughts away. When the thorns of whatever thought pops up, I take a stone and cast the thought away. The mantra here is "I cast this stone away from me, and take with it the thorn that's plaguing me". Sometimes the stones in my basket are large or small, and sometimes I get to toss the same stone several times before casting it away.

Because I practice the candle and bridge tricks as deeper meditation.. I have also conditioned myself to use the auto-suggestion on the fly with quickness. I can apply the candle mantra to a good stretch or to "chill myself out" or as a background mantra to keep moving on after I hurt myself a good one and can't really take time to chill. Or the bridge mantra in a quick session when I feel like a thorn makes me want to be overly thorny back and that's not helpful.

I am also a fan of the Dune litany. Though from a fictional source, it has an excellent rhythm.

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

I use this mantra with many variations. I use it for fear. And also regular variations of anger, sorrow, ignorance, regret.. Since it has such good flow, I sometimes make up my own words to it... silly things.
I must plant seeds- seeds are the plant growers, seeds are the little life that brings total harvest. I will plant my seeds. I will tend them and grow them to harvest. And when the season is past they will feed us through winter into spring. Where the seeds have gone and grown to fruition, I will plant again.

I will be patient. Haste is the project killer. Haste is the little smear of glue that brings total obliteration. I will not touch glue. I will permit it to dry fully before touching project. And when I think the glue is dry I will not touch the project to check the path of dryness.. Once it has sat overnight, there will be nothing left to dry.. only don't touch it till at least noon.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rashore said:

I do a relaxation trick for sleep- start at one point of the body and slowly, with repetition for each body part (I like three times), relax each body part. Repeat, telling each body part to sleep.

My mother taught me this same technique.

I myself practice mindfulness, everyday. 

At anytime through the day I like to take a big breath in and out and look around at the things around me, appreciate them for what they are, a  vegetable garden, a flower, a humanbeing, a kitchen table, a working engine.

All miracles in thier own right and they keep me humble and grateful.

• Like 4

Okay. To clarify what I was saying earlier it depends on how you're using the affirmation. For myself, I use this "Today will be a good day no matter what happens." This statement basically means that I'll make the most of whatever happens. Something I've started using once again. It changes my mindset and in turn my actions. However, if someone is using an affirmation to such as "I'll be ready for the beach this year." Because they want a beach ready body, they must do something to reinforce that affirmation. Diet, exercise, etc. I am a firm believer in Intention+Action, It's a solid combo. It 'solidifies' the statement of intent. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Okay. To clarify what I was saying earlier it depends on how you're using the affirmation. For myself, I use this "Today will be a good day no matter what happens." This statement basically means that I'll make the most of whatever happens. Something I've started using once again. It changes my mindset and in turn my actions. However, if someone is using an affirmation to such as "I'll be ready for the beach this year." Because they want a beach ready body, they must do something to reinforce that affirmation. Diet, exercise, etc. I am a firm believer in Intention+Action, It's a solid combo. It 'solidifies' the statement of intent. 

Like the little engine that could?

35 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

When you say "Intention+Action", I tend to say, "God helps those who help themselves". 

Same idea, same kind of result I would imagine, but from different angles.

And your "Today will be a good day no matter what happens", the first thing I say to myself upon waking is, "Today I will fulfil the highest purpose of my soul". 

Again pretty similar..

Im not saying one way is better than the other, in fact I have seen some comparable evidence that suggests how your belief in such things, what you feel will work for you best, is very important to the success, or lack of.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

When you say "Intention+Action", I tend to say, "God helps those who help themselves". 

Same idea, same kind of result I would imagine, but from different angles.

And your "Today will be a good day no matter what happens", the first thing I say to myself upon waking is, "Today I will fulfil the highest purpose of my soul". 

Again pretty similar..

Im not saying one way is better than the other, in fact I have seen some comparable evidence that suggests how your belief in such things, what you feel will work for you best, is very important to the success, or lack of.

Pretty much. Same cereal, different box.:lol:

48 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Like the little engine that could?

Sure, if you want to get that simplistic about it. Sometimes the simplest mantras of "I think I can" can really have a positive impact. It is a much better representation of the spirit of the topic of self-mantras, affirmation, and auto- suggestion of the OP than your previous "Hail Mary" comparison.

• Like 1

@rashore

The best way I can send myself to sleep is to say a little prayer of gratitude, for everything, good or bad. This gives me a deep sense of well being and a kind of security, or something.. Anyway, after around five minutes I'm off to the land of Nod lol.

I also use an affirmation to deal with fear - a deep in-breath, thinking, "I am not afraid", letting out all the tension with the long exhalation. It works, and something else I noticed was that my fear threshold was raised, ie, some things that used to bother me before, no longer do. So there seems to be an accumulative affect too!

But I've never tried the candle visualisation. My lower back is hurting a bit at the moment, it's only the muscles, nothing serious, so I will try your meditation and see how it goes!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rashore said:

Sure, if you want to get that simplistic about it. Sometimes the simplest mantras of "I think I can" can really have a positive impact. It is a much better representation of the spirit of the topic of self-mantras, affirmation, and auto- suggestion of the OP than your previous "Hail Mary" comparison.

Just saying "I know" can help.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Pretty much. Same cereal, different box.:lol:

Consciousness is an amazing, powerful thing..

Who knows what might be possible in the near future?

Perhaps if I ask myself, I will give myself the answers lol..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

Consciousness is an amazing, powerful thing..

Who knows what might be possible in the near future?

Perhaps if I ask myself, I will give myself the answers lol..

Very true. I tend to think people sell themselves short. Having focus or a specific attitude can go a long way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

@rashore

But I've never tried the candle visualisation. My lower back is hurting a bit at the moment, it's only the muscles, nothing serious, so I will try your meditation and see how it goes!

Sorry to snip your comment but not... yes, please do, and let us know if it works for you. And anyone else that would like to try for that matter. It's a trick that stuck with me thanks to a teacher in speech class ages ago and not something I see often on UM.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rashore said:

Different strokes for different folks. Not being Catholic I've only second hand knowledge but from ones who are, I've understood it to be a a positive affirmation of Faith and physical and mental well-being. Goal oriented positive thinking takes many forms and wears the trappings of disparate cultures, philosophies and religions. Repetitious ritual and chanting are soothing balms in many cultures.

6 hours ago, Kismit said:

My mother taught me this same technique.

I myself practice mindfulness, everyday. 

At anytime through the day I like to take a big breath in and out and look around at the things around me, appreciate them for what they are, a  vegetable garden, a flower, a humanbeing, a kitchen table, a working engine.

All miracles in thier own right and they keep me humble and grateful.

Oh my! I don't think anyone actually taught me that...but that's how I live everyday! A bird, the grass, that bag of garbage on the freeway...a fly buzzing in the bathroom.  Everything.  We get so busy in our everyday lives that we miss a lot.  Especially if we are worrying about something.  Life sometimes just goes past us without our even noticing it.  Sometimes I  will get involved in a thought process...while driving...and I'll get to my destination and  barely even remember driving.  Sometimes we miss a whole lot.  But when we take the time to notice...life itself.  The smile of that little kid in the grocery store.  The person holding a sign on the street corner.  The dog...all alone on the city street. The cows grazing.   It is humbling.  And I too am very grateful.  

• Like 3

I use VNV Nation songs. The lyrics are great mantras.

There's Fearless...

I'm not alone
I'm not afraid
I'm not unhappy

Everything

Don't tell me
It's the end of everything
It always seems the darkest before the light

Perpetual

Let there be
Let there always be
Neverending Light

Resolution

Raise your head up high
Raise your head up high
So the heavens hear you cry
Light the brightest fire
From the highest mountain
So the whole world knows 
That your spirit can't be broken

Nova

Shine, shine your light on me
Illuminate me
Make me complete
Lay me down
And wash this world from me
Open the skies
And burn it all away
Cause I've been waiting
All my life just waiting
For you to shine
Shine your light on me

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I am a great believer in affirmations, mantras and auto-suggestion. Why, because I have tried them and I have noticed the difference.

These little phrases, repeated, can have a huge affect upon the mind and therefore the body too.

Some of my latest mantras are, "everyday in everyway, I am getting better." Very simple and yet very powerful. Another one I use, because of my spiritual inclinations is, "I see and hear and experience God everyday." And then the natural one that follows is, "I express my Godlinesss."

Every morning I have a meditation programme that goes through a whole host of different mantras and affirmations, but at the same time I also try to feel that "thing" and visualise it too.

Peace is a great one - say, feel and visualise peace - and notice the difference around you!

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who practices this type of thing.

There are some more, metaphysical mantras too.

I have done mantras for money and it worked for me.:tu:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I have done mantras for money and it worked for me.:tu:

Would you care to share? The mantra, or the money...either or...lol.

I am practicing a form of 'The Law of Attraction' and it is working quite nicely.

You act and feel wealthy no matter how much or how little money you actually have. Like giving to charity boxes, buskers, big issue sellers. And at the same time feeling rich, feeling wealthy. 

The way it works is like this. You make the intention, or affirmation, "I am wealthy", then you act and feel wealthy, then the universe shows you what being wealthy is not, then, if you press-on, acting and feeling rich, then the universe gets behind you so to speak.

Just the other day I picked up a couple of books at a jumble sale, I know, the glamour, but the thing is, I paid two quid, and they are worth a £125.00 on ebay. And I wasnt even looking for books to sell, I was genuinly interested in them.

I think there are many so called "life hacks" that really work.

One that I picked up from Rudolph Steiner, I think, is how to get to say the right thing at the right time. Basically, you have to think of something, say a car, then spend 5/6 minutes going through each individual component. The wheels, the brakes, the door handles, the windscreen wipers etc... And the next time someone says something, from out of the left field, you will be able to reply without hesitation. Hopefully!

• Like 1