Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Sir Conan Doyle really away with the fae?

rashore

When this survey of British fairydom arrived I turned to the chapter on Dorset to read about the little people of my county. After a survey of place names referring to the ‘puca’, which may or not connect with Shakespeare’s Puck, I received the disheartening news that Dorset wasn’t very good for fairies, and that there was even ‘something surprising about the absence of elves’. So I did what I was supposed to have done first, and read the introduction.

Magical Folk is a collection of folklore essays, topographically arranged, and its editors welcome ‘the digitisation of millions of pages of British and Irish newspapers,’ which has allowed researchers to Google fairies from ‘200-year-old pages of ephemera’. They refer to ‘The Fairy Census, the first scholarly survey of contemporary fairy sightings’, and discuss the baleful effect on fairy scholarship of the Cottingley fairy hoax of the 1920s, which took in Arthur Conan Doyle.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/was-sir-arthur-conan-doyle-really-away-with-the-fairies/

• Like 2

Frances Griffiths insisted right up until she died in 1986 that the fairies in the fifth and final photo were real.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:48 AM, Black Monk said:

Frances Griffiths insisted right up until she died in 1986 that the fairies in the fifth and final photo were real.

Elsie Wright insisted it was fake like the rest.

On 13/02/2018 at 9:10 AM, Rlyeh said:

Elsie Wright insisted it was fake like the rest.

Although she insisted right up until she died in 1988 that she and Frances had really seen fairies.