Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2018 elections

rashore

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I, myself, don't believe that the minimum wage should be a living wage.

Then you are essentially advocating for wage slavery.

If you work full time and aren't paid proportional to the bare basic cost of living, then what other choice do you have other than gain government assistance in some areas or become homeless and unemployed? I understand your argument about them being starter jobs that launch you into better jobs down the road, but there are numerous instances where going to school costs a lot of time and money and necessarily requires that you work full time to pay for all that. Yet if you aren't paid enough for basic necessities, then what good is it to work there at all?

If they have no marketable experience, or talent, or education, that should be their own fault.

Okay, let's say that it is their own fault for the sake of argument. What you're suggesting is that they should not get paid enough to survive, receive no government assistance to fill the gaps left by their low paying job, and risk becoming homeless or a criminal so as to fill the gaps that we refuse to fill. The fact is, when you lack basic necessities is when you have an uptick in crime and homelessness. That's just a fact.

Would you rather insure that these people's basic necessities are met rather than increase the amount of crime and homelessness? Or do you simply enjoy pointing a finger at the poor and disadvantaged without offering any solutions?

Regardless, you fail to even consider the possibility that various life circumstances that are out of these people's control could lead to such life problems. Your lack of empathy here is telling.

I do understand that some people are disadvantaged, either by physical circumstances, or mental circumstances, or life choices, and need help. But they shouldn't have to be held up and coddled for 30 or 40 years. That is just them taking advantage of the system, and staying at an easy job. Easy here being relative. But, I don't know a single high paying job that isn't hard/stressful in some way.

Again, we're taking about basic necessities here. No one is talking about giving these people enough money to live lavish lifestyles, so this idea that people would want to lay back on a living wage job and go no further in life is just flatly untrue.

Most countries in Europe provide a living wage, so does Australia. They have for several decades. You don't hear of their economies crashing or the majority of their people choosing a minimum wage job over higher paying ones. No, giving people a living wage simply offers them the chance to have their basic needs met while they advance in life. Nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet you still can’t address the main problem with the term living wage. Your living wage is different than mine. I did some rough math and I can make no less than $19/hr after taxes at full time to meet my basics. Your living wage is likely different. Jobs pay what they’re worth and not what you need.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Then you are essentially advocating for wage slavery.

If you work full time and aren't paid proportional to the bare basic cost of living, then what other choice do you have other than gain government assistance in some areas or become homeless and unemployed? I understand your argument about them being starter jobs that launch you into better jobs down the road, but there are numerous instances where going to school costs a lot of time and money and necessarily requires that you work full time to pay for all that. Yet if you aren't paid enough for basic necessities, then what good is it to work there at all?

Uhhhh... Get a second job. Go to school to get educated to get a better job. Interview constantly for a better job? Take in a room mate? 

I'm not against government assistance (I think I stated that), but it shouldn't be a way of life.

Where did I say not to help the homeless?

I do agree that education costs are way out of control, especially in the larger university systems. Tuition increases of 10% per year seems the norm. That is out of control, if you ask me.

Okay, let's say that it is their own fault for the sake of argument. What you're suggesting is that they should not get paid enough to survive, receive no government assistance to fill the gaps left by their low paying job, and risk becoming homeless or a criminal so as to fill the gaps that we refuse to fill. The fact is, when you lack basic necessities is when you have an uptick in crime and homelessness. That's just a fact.

Would you rather insure that these people's basic necessities are met rather than increase the amount of crime and homelessness? Or do you simply enjoy pointing a finger at the poor and disadvantaged without offering any solutions?

Regardless, you fail to even consider the possibility that various life circumstances that are out of these people's control could lead to such life problems. Your lack of empathy here is telling.

Is that a fact? Care to point out some statistics that prove that?

Homelessness affects roughly one in a thousand and that includes all those who are staying with friends, or otherwise still living in comfortable conditions. The fact is that homelessness is sad, but it is not the major issue. And, like I said, those who are having physical/mental/societal issues should be helped, just not on a permanent basis, or at least as short a time as is required to meet a minimum standard (Which will not be an actual living wage).

I did not fail to consider, you failed to read my post effectively. Does "I do understand that some people are disadvantaged, either by physical circumstances, or mental circumstances, or life choices, and need help. " ring a bell?

Again, we're taking about basic necessities here. No one is talking about giving these people enough money to live lavish lifestyles, so this idea that people would want to lay back on a living wage job and go no further in life is just flatly untrue.

Most countries in Europe provide a living wage, so does Australia. They have for several decades. You don't hear of their economies crashing or the majority of their people choosing a minimum wage job over higher paying ones. No, giving people a living wage simply offers them the chance to have their basic needs met while they advance in life. Nothing more.

But you are. You are saying support them at a Living Wage, which depending on the definition means being able to afford a home, car, insurance, healthcare, education, etc.... Which requires a moderate middle class income. You are not arguing for a minimum coverage if you are demanding a living wage. 

Uhhhhh... The nations of the Southern part of Europe are, or already have, crashed. Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal.... All have crashed due to social programs. It is only the brokering of the UE government and help of loans from Germany that have kept those nations afloat. And notice that those failing nations were put into Austerity by the other nations of Europe. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, F3SS said:

Yet you still can’t address the main problem with the term living wage. Your living wage is different than mine. I did some rough math and I can make no less than $19/hr after taxes at full time to meet my basics. Your living wage is likely different. Jobs pay what they’re worth and not what you need.

And varies by location. A person living in Rural Montana does not have the same costs as one living in Manhattan. 

• Like 3

This week was a fairly quiet elections week- a few states had their registration and ballot deadlines, and Wisconsin had the first primaries, for judges.

Next week has a bit more serious stuff along with a bunch of ballot and filing deadlines. A handful of House and Senate elections are happening too.

On the 27th Arizona is holding it's special election for the 8th district House seat, Alabama's Senate 26th seat is having a Primary Democratic run-off, House 4th seat is having a Republican run-off, Connecticut House 120 general elections, Kentucky House 89 general elections, New Hampshire House belknap 3 special general elections, Rhode Island Senate 8 primary, and South Carolina House 69 primary.

• 2 months later...
On 23/02/2018 at 4:58 AM, F3SS said:

And I’m pretty sure Europe has had its share of economic issues. Greece is notorious for it.

Greece is where sound economic policies go to die.

• Like 2

In a county that Trump won by 20 points, the Republicans had to spend $1m and it was still far closer than it had any right to be. 

The GOP must be quite worried by now.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2018 at 7:31 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

In a county that Trump won by 20 points, the Republicans had to spend $1m and it was still far closer than it had any right to be. 

The GOP must be quite worried by now.

True. But if this goes like 2016, where the DNC was begging money off of Clinton, with zero in the bank, and the GOP rolling in money.... Then this could be indicative of where things are going to go.

It is looking like there will be a good chunk of Dem gains, but I think it is still going to be hard to tell until the actual voting is going down. :D

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

True. But if this goes like 2016, where the DNC was begging money off of Clinton, with zero in the bank, and the GOP rolling in money.... Then this could be indicative of where things are going to go.

It is looking like there will be a good chunk of Dem gains, but I think it is still going to be hard to tell until the actual voting is going down. :D

By all reports, Dem candidates have had superb funding and it's like Bernie's funding in that vast majority comes from lots and lots of small and personal donations.

The Senate race should be mentioned in particular. The Dems have 152 candidates to the Republicans' 238, but have raised over $100m more so far, with the majority coming from personal donations. 

Data from the Center for Responsive Politics

This is a clear indication of Trump backfiring with the electorate. 

• Like 1

I don’t think you can judge much of this till the actual midterm. These few special elections many people might not even be aware of. 

Also so much can change from now till then. What happens if Korea actually ends up in a peace deal? Which it looks like that might very well happen. Or any number of things that could either hurt or help either party. 

New York electing a Dem means literally nothing. Most of NY has no say with any election. NYC decides everything for us. We have a sea of generational welfare recipients that speak for us all. 

18 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

By all reports, Dem candidates have had superb funding and it's like Bernie's funding in that vast majority comes from lots and lots of small and personal donations.

The Senate race should be mentioned in particular. The Dems have 152 candidates to the Republicans' 238, but have raised over $100m more so far, with the majority coming from personal donations. 

Data from the Center for Responsive Politics

This is a clear indication of Trump backfiring with the electorate. 

That's all true. But, the season is just starting, and from what I've just read GOP donors usually wait till Summer to start throwing money. So we'll have to see what is happening in August and September, before we can actually make good predictions.

From what I've read, Trump's approval with his base voters is still strong. And I very much doubt that the bigger GOP donors who are profiting off the good economy, are going to turn against Trump or the GOP. There's going to be plenty of money.

It will be lucky if the Dems don't LOOSE seats in the Senate this year. Since there are only like 3 GOP seats up for serious contest, but 7 or 8 Democrat seats that are in states that GOP did well in in 2016.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 6:55 AM, DieChecker said:

That's all true. But, the season is just starting, and from what I've just read GOP donors usually wait till Summer to start throwing money. So we'll have to see what is happening in August and September, before we can actually make good predictions.

From what I've read, Trump's approval with his base voters is still strong. And I very much doubt that the bigger GOP donors who are profiting off the good economy, are going to turn against Trump or the GOP. There's going to be plenty of money.

It will be lucky if the Dems don't LOOSE seats in the Senate this year. Since there are only like 3 GOP seats up for serious contest, but 7 or 8 Democrat seats that are in states that GOP did well in in 2016.

This is a better link for the latest fund raising numbers for the parties DNC numbers are not good, in fact they are a disaster.    https://www.opensecrets.org/parties/

Trump-backed republican advances in CA governor race.

Republican John Cox, a business executive backed by President Trump, beat out former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, a Democrat, for the second slot in the state's jungle primary system, which sends the top-two vote winners to the general election, regardless of their party.

source

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Fascism is LITERALLY the opposite of Communism.

the only difference is the name, the rest is identical. just ask stalin

10 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Trump-backed republican advances in CA governor race.

source

I saw Feinstein punched her ticket for another run...i keep hearing about the "NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY"...Why does it always look like the old one huh :wacko:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I saw Feinstein punched her ticket for another run...i keep hearing about the "NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY"...Why does it always look like the old one huh :wacko:

The "Blue Wave" < lol has turned into a blue drip.

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2018 at 1:57 PM, F3SS said:

Correct.   Defining a "living wage" is not easy.  

Should it include:

Cell phone and data plan

A house to yourself

A vehicle

Internet

TV service

Ciggs

New clothes and shoes

Dining out

I know several households that have all of those and do not NEED most or any of them.   Phone may be the one that people do need.   A simple land line is less expensive than most cell phones and plans.  Having a roommate or sharing the living space is a huge savings potential.   Vehicles can be a luxury if you live in town and close to work and school.   Internet is free at most public places.   Over the air TV reception is free.   Ciggs are a crazy expense ($150+ per month).  I think I got my first new clothes or shoes when I was 15.   Garage sales, thrift stores and such did the trick.  The amount of groceries that can be had with the cost of a cheap   $20 (family of 4) fast food supper is huge.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

the only difference is the name, the rest is identical. just ask stalin

I tried to ask Stalin, but he told me to b***** off, he was trying to have a kip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw a report this morning that the new $15 an hour min. wage has already changed the fast food industry. Now you can order at a kiosk so the restaurants need less human employees. They are also finding that when using a kiosk, people tend to take their time and order more....win/win for McDonald's, etc. Thanks to protests, people are losing jobs and the corporations are making more money. Funny, I remember some of us saying this would happen.

• Like 3

I think the minimum wage does need raised quite a bit.    Not at once though, and not to the level many think.    I would like to see it raised $1 immediately and $.25 a year for 10 years.   Something like that.   $15 is just ridiculous.    That only hurts the people who have worked hard to get to a wage around $15.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skliss said:

Saw a report this morning that the new $15 an hour min. wage has already changed the fast food industry. Now you can order at a kiosk so the restaurants need less human employees. They are also finding that when using a kiosk, people tend to take their time and order more....win/win for McDonald's, etc. Thanks to protests, people are losing jobs and the corporations are making more money. Funny, I remember some of us saying this would happen.

You have to think that it will all implode sooner or later. If robots do take over a lot of the minimum wage jobs not many people will have any money to buy anything. I have heard of talk where each person will get so much money per month but then you wonder where is that money going to come from? Unless some of the corporations put some of their excess money in a pot for people that can't work which I don't see happening. Am I missing something her?

• Like 1