Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we Dream?

Aquila King

Science has yet to give us a definitive answer as to why we dream, but there are multiple theories as to why.

Some say it helps our brain to store the memories created throughout the day, while others say it's our subconscious mind's way of communicating to us about something important. Of course we still don't have a definitive answer as to why we evolved the ability to dream in the first place. Or even if there is a 'why' at all. It could just be that we dream by accident, with no real purpose to it at all really. There are even those within the spiritual community that claim it possesses some sort of spiritual other-worldly purpose to it.

Of course, none of us really know for sure. Just had wacky weird dreams last night, and thought I'd open a new discussion of it. :P

• Like 2

Mostly I go with because we can...

• Like 2

It's just a byproduct of a brain that can think, reason, and imagine. We don't wonder what daydreaming is all about, dreams are just daydreams at night, when you are unconscious and have little control as to where your mind wanders.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moonman said:

It's just a byproduct of a brain that can think, reason, and imagine. We don't wonder what daydreaming is all about, dreams are just daydreams at night, when you are unconscious and have little control as to where your mind wanders.

Good point. Hadn't thought of it that way.

Domestic dogs and cats dream as well I wonder if it could have something to do with being" civilized" 

• Like 3

of course it could be bordom, the mind keeps buzy while the body rests.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mysticwerewolf said:

of course it could be bordom, the mind keeps buzy while the body rests.

thats what it seems like to me.  Many of my dreams involve me watching programes on TV, which I may or not become a part of.  Often sci-fi.  Or having debates with people (rarely anyone I know).  I put it down to my brain getting bored and making up stories whilst it waits for me to wake up.  A few times I have woken with the idea for a good sci-fi story based on my dream.

interestingly, I also often have dreams that involve returning to the same (imaginary) places time and again - and I could even draw a map of the alternative Scottish Highlands that I sometimes visit.   Its perhaps an idealised version of what I wish it was like?  

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 5:01 PM, Essan said:

and I could even draw a map of the alternative Scottish Highlands that I sometimes visit.   Its perhaps an idealised version of what I wish it was like?  

The'yre always taller and steeper. :tu:

• Like 1

I have a theory on why we dream.

Dreams are created by our sleeping mind to assess its own well being.  Our Sleeping Mind creates visual imagery to tell a story of what is going on with our conscious mind.  In a sense, it is our primitive mind...asleep...but nonetheless able to constantly assess the surrounding environment for danger...like the snapping of a twig, or the smell of smoke. It is how our sleeping mind communicates with our conscious mind.  A sort of Mental Self Diagnostics.

The more we know about the Universality of Dream Language the more we are able to decipher the menagerie of visual images that make up our dreams.

For instance:  You drive across a bridge on your way home from work.  Then, that night you dream that your car breaks down on a very high bridge. 

In reality, a car is a vehicle that gets you from one point to another.  But because dreams are all mental...the car in your dream is a 'mental vehicle' that gets you from one thought plane to the next.  The car breaking down might suggest that there is a problem with your thought process.   You might therefore be inclined to heed the warning of your dream and consider where your thinking may be problematic in a certain area of your life.  

Once upon a time many years ago I was actually paid to interpret other peoples dreams.  

• Like 2

"Universal dream language" is a load of crap. Everything means different things to different people, you can't just slap a label on it like "birds mean this" or "apples mean that".

Our brains are not hardwired with the same object definition database that applies equally to everyone. We are not robots.

Edited by moonman

14 hours ago, moonman said:

"Universal dream language" is a load of crap. Everything means different things to different people, you can't just slap a label on it like "birds mean this" or "apples mean that".

Our brains are not hardwired with the same object definition database that applies equally to everyone. We are not robots.

Actually our brains are hardwired in a similar fashion.   You are right that all of us are different.  We all have our own sets of problems.  But we all dream the same things don't we?  Not exactly ver batim dreams...because we are different.  Have you ever had a dream that you were falling?  Or flying? Or drowning? Or being chased?  That dream where you are being chased and you are trying to open the door but you just can't get it open and the thing chasing you is bearing down on you?  We all have similar dreams.  And they are all the result of similar brains creating visual imagery.  These visual images are created by our own unique minds.  We all have our own sets of problems so there are no robotic dream sequences that are exactly alike.

Consider if you will for a moment...The Wolf in the forest.  The wolf sleeps...but not like you or I sleep. They sleep with one eye or both eyes open...and their ears open as well.  They do sleep...but their 'primitive brain' is constantly assessing the environment around them both for dangers and opportunities.  We have lost our instinctual primitive responses...but our brains have taken over that part of assessing the environment and now assesses itself.   Always assessing itself...and it speaks what it finds...in the only language it knows...dreams.

• Like 1

If dreams were just about brain, it would be more effective just to switch it off and relax. But there is a lot of independent activity, sometimes much more superior than in awake state to consider it just a byproduct of brain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deWelldone said:

If dreams were just about brain, it would be more effective just to switch it off and relax. But there is a lot of independent activity, sometimes much more superior than in awake state to consider it just a byproduct of brain.

It isn't about the brain.   It is about the Mental Health of the brain.

On 2/9/2018 at 0:20 AM, joc said:

I have a theory on why we dream.

Dreams are created by our sleeping mind to assess its own well being. 

Well it doesn't work because there are way too many crazy people out there. Even some of the seemingly 'normal' people out there have some mental health issues. 

5 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

Well it doesn't work because there are way too many crazy people out there. Even some of the seemingly 'normal' people out there have some mental health issues. 

It isn't that kind of Mental Health Assessment.  lol

It is more like this:

Suppose in your waking life...you have a problem.  The problem is that you are trying to resolve a matter at work but it is complicated and you just don't know what to really do about it.  So you dream:

You dream you are in a house with ceilings that are only a little above your head.  In dream language a house is actually your mental house.  In our waking life a house is where we live...it is where all of our stuff is.  But in a dream the Mental House is where all your thoughts are.  So, if you dream of a house with a low ceiling...it might be indicative of your inability to gain insight into the problem at work.  If however you dreamed of a house with high ceilings, it might then be indicative of a thought process that has great potential to solve said problem.

Like I said before, the more you understand the language of dreams...the easier it is to gain a real meaning to some of them as it relates to your everyday life.

17 hours ago, deWelldone said:

I dont dream like I used too, no big stories or adventures, just little snippets here and there, normally about stuff that I have been pondering during the day.

Its like I have some kind of issue to figure out, I am given different parts of the puzzle, 3/4 different pieces, then my subconscious mind moves them about, puts them into the right order, bam, bam, bam, bam. And that gets repeated a few times.

My dreams help me to understand stuff.

On 07/02/2018 at 11:48 AM, moonman said:

I would have to disagree with you about this. I seldom dream but when I do I think in my dreams and can alter it during the dream process.

jmccr8 

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I am somewhat surprised that our resident lucid dreamer hasn't chimed in to give his expert opinion.:whistle:

jmccr8 

Oh? And who claims this ability?

14 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I would have to disagree with you about this. I seldom dream but when I do I think in my dreams and can alter it during the dream process.

jmccr8 

Just like you can in a daydream. People altering their dreams is nothing special or unbelievable, they just practice. The great majority of us do not bother.

Edited by moonman