Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intelligent Design: Evolution 2.0

Only_

16 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

I was here through his equating atheists (non-believers) with child molesters debacle. While I greatly respect you I don’t see him as gracious, kind, humble or tolerant. More a wolf in sheeps clothing. 

cormac

Cormac,

I apologized for saying that. I shouldn't have said it. I meant something entirely different. I was too quick to push the button.

I don't think that atheists molest children. But from my experiences with my atheist dad, today looking back on my childhood, I feel very much that I experienced the molestation of my mind.

Me and one of my brothers often talk about this. But don't hold it against our dad because we know he experienced something tough too.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

Actually it’s done and over and probably should be benched. Point was, you missed a lot dear lady.

cormac

I did miss a lot apparently. 

Wow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Oh no, he really did say that? 

Yep, like cormac said. It should be benched. Quite a few of us got a tad peeved about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Yes I do, but I'm not sharing unless you read my newsletter and sign up for additional newsletters for the humble price of $6.66 per month. :lol:

Ok, but only if there’s cherry or blackberry. 

cormac

• Like 3

I wonder if the real problem here, is that some are talking to and others are talking at people. 

I've always felt that both religion and spirituality are a personal thing. That anyone trying to give scientific validity to such beliefs are in fact doubting their own apparent faith. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What's up with you allegedly equating atheists with child molesters.

ouch! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I wonder if the real problem here, is that some are talking to and others are talking at people. 

I've always felt that both religion and spirituality are a personal thing. That anyone trying to give scientific validity to such beliefs are in fact doubting their own apparent faith. 

Just my 2 cents.

I see my belief as a personal thing and there “may” be some scientific basis for it but it doesn’t come with all the organized religious baggage that such entails. 

cormac

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Some people hallucinate when they are dying. 

Really, what seems more likely here? 

I think it's not likely that scientists have tested for spirit, know where to look or even have the capability to measure something that is non-physical in nature.  If the spirit exists then it is separate from the body, and therefore body chemistry/energy.  Some people may hallucinate while the are dying.  And some, may experience the afterlife.  Unlike you, I don't claim to have all the answers, and I am open to all possibilities.  

• Like 1

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

I see my belief as a personal thing and there “may” be some scientific basis for it but it doesn’t come with all the organized religious baggage that such entails. 

cormac

The thing is; are you trying to forcibly validate it? Such as claiming its quantum mysticism or whatever new age buzzword that'll make a belief look valid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The thing is; are you trying to forcibly validate it? Such as claiming its quantum mysticism or whatever new age buzzword that'll make a belief look valid. 

Nope, I see it as a possible explanation. One that makes the most sense to me and one without all the unnecessary religious “feel-good” trappings.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

I know you and I have been at odds. So I want to get it in a better place, if that's possible. 

I think that you think that what I believe is based on something religiously organized. But I don't. 

What and how I believe falls in the same exact category as you just said above. It's personal to me and I'm not obligated to no other person, no other person's doctrine, nor anything written in any book, except everything I can muster myself about God and how he's real in life.

From my standpoint, we have a lot of common ground. Just not enough time spent to get to know each other. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Cormac,

I apologized for saying that. I shouldn't have said it. I meant something entirely different. I was to quick to push the button.

I don't think that atheists molest children. But from my experiences with my atheist dad, today looking back on my childhood, I feel very much that I experienced the molestation of my mind.

Me and one of my brothers often talk about this. But don't hold it against our dad because we know he experienced something too.

I can understand, my mother presented religion/god)   in a way that was abusive and harmful.

Unlike you I felt immense resentment towards her, yet at the same time conflicted, feeling a burden  to excuse her,, justify her behavior, because of "love" for her. 

The interesting thing is I came to the conclusion that how she went about raising us was harmful, no amount of justification or excusing her changed the harm, or the effort I had to put into correcting it. I allow her to carry the responsibility and weight of her own choice which culminated in not having a close relationship with me for the duration of her life with the exception of the last four years of her life, she asked to be apart of my life and I was open to trying as long  as she did her part which was outlined by me and agreed upon, I will say she really gave her best, unfortunately we ran out of time as she died. I do appreciate her efforts though. 

For me, love doesn't equate making  light of harm even when it is our parents. 

I also carry no resentment, I have let that go, by letting go of the idea that I was supposed to carry the weight of her choices to  harm by giving her a free pass is on her not me, she was an adult and I deserved better, she made choices and in doing so was responsible for them. 

There were things that were lovable about my mom too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Nope, I see it as a possible explanation. One that makes the most sense to me and one without all the unnecessary religious “feel-good” trappings.

cormac

Does there really need to be more to it than this. I feel that a lot of people want to overcomplicate something that should be simple. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I know you and I have been at odds. So I want to get it in a better place, if that's possible. 

I think that you think that what I believe is based on something religiously organized. But I don't. 

What and how I believe falls in the same exact category as you just said above. It's personal to me and I'm not obligated to no other person, no other person's doctrine, nor anything written in any book, except everything I can muster myself about God and how he's real in life.

From my standpoint, we have a lot of common ground. Just not enough time spent to get to know each other. 

When you attempt to bring in various aspects of organized religion as if they apply to everyone, and you have, and they don’t, you’ve effectively invalidated your own argument IMO. 

cormac

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Does there really need to be more to it than this. I feel that a lot of people want to overcomplicate something that should be simple. 

I think my belief sums it up quite nicely. Nothing more is necessary IMO. 

cormac

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I can understand, my mother presented religion/god)   in a way that was abusive and harmful.

Unlike you I felt immense resentment towards her, yet at the same time conflicted, feeling a burden  to excuse her,, justify her behavior, because of "love" for her. 

The interesting thing is I came to the conclusion that how she went about raising us was harmful, no amount of justification or excusing her changed the harm, or the effort I had to put into correcting it. I allow her to carry the responsibility and weight of her own choice which culminated in not having a close relationship with me for the duration of her life with the exception of the last four years of her life, she asked to be apart of my life and I was open to trying as long  as she did her part which was outlined by me and agreed upon, I will say she really gave her best, unfortunately we ran out of time as she died. I do appreciate her efforts though. 

For me, love doesn't equate making  light of harm even when it is our parents. 

I also carry no resentment, I have let that go, by letting go of the idea that I was supposed to carry the weight of her choices to  harm by giving her a free pass is on her not me, she was an adult and I deserved better, she made choices and in doing so was responsible for them. 

There were things that were lovable about my mom too. 

I can ditto all of that Sheri.

But let me make it very clear, I do have a lot of resentment towards my dad, especially for what has happened to my sibs. The seemingly irreversible things.

I've gotten by it though and don't hold a grudge. I never did. But sometimes, and this is where I made a regrettable mistake the other day when I spouted off without thinking it through long enough, I find it hard not to project what happened to me on someone who from my perspective, isn't totally aware of what it means to some kids to hear their dad repeatedly insist that it's all a lie, that God doesn't exist.

And I'm very sorry about that.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

When you attempt to bring in various aspects of organized religion as if they apply to everyone, and you have, and they don’t, you’ve effectively invalidated your own argument IMO. 

cormac

Alright. I'll keep what you're telling me in mind. I agree that I have done that. But that was not my intent. I ain't perfect. 

But let me emphasize again. What I believe religiously is unique to me and me alone.

If I've come across in a way that's made others think that it's my way or the highway regarding religious belief, then I need to make an adjustment, and I will keep it in mind.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Alright. I'll keep what you're telling me in mind. I agree that I have done that. But that was not my intent. I ain't perfect. 

But let me emphasize again. What I believe religiously is unique to me and me alone.

If I've come across in a way that's made others think that it's my way or the highway regarding religious belief, then I need to make an adjustment, and I will keep it in mind.

That’s the most sensible thing you’ve said in the whole time you’ve been here. Now let’s see if your actions can back it up. Time will tell.

cormac

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Alright xen ..

I'm gonna be all vulnerable and ask you ...

Honestly ...and I know you are, or else I wouldn't bother..

What is my problem with how I come across ..??

Straight up .. I'm asking.. ??

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

That’s the most sensible thing you’ve said in the whole time you’ve been here. Now let’s see if your actions can back it up. Time will tell.

cormac

Thank you.

It won't be hard though. I remember very well how a boot feels where it's real soft.

If I may continue a bit. I especially don't believe that everyone is supposed to believe the same things in a religious way. To me, that's an absurd idea. I get very excited in sharing my beliefs though, and obviously it's coming across all wrong, that I think others should believe the same things that I do, but I don't. This is what I think about group belief.

Unity, but not necessarily uniformity.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Atamarie Sir ..

Is faith, knowing..?

Mo..xx

It's thinking you do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Thank you.

It won't be hard though. I remember very well how a boot feels where it's real soft.

If I may continue a bit. I especially don't believe that everyone is supposed to believe the same things in a religious way. To me, that's an absurd idea. I get very excited in sharing my beliefs though, and obviously it's coming across sll wrong, that I think others should believe the same things that I do, but I don't. This is what I think about group belief.

Unity, but not necessarily uniformity.

I wear steel-toes. :D

Whatever works, for you.

cormac

• Like 2

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked