Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pet shop puppy sale ban considered

Still Waters

A ban on puppy sales by pet shops and other third-party dealers in England is being considered by the government.

Under the proposals, people buying or adopting a dog would deal directly with a breeder or rehousing centre.

Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the plan would be examined as part of a new package of measures aimed at driving up welfare standards.

Enhanced licensing conditions for breeders are already due to come into force this year.

Under the new rules, breeders or sellers of dogs must be licensed and will not be able to sell puppies and kittens under eight weeks old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42985488

• Like 9

It's a good move. I'm all for anything that provides better animal welfare, but I'd imagine it'll prove difficult to police.

• Like 7

I haven't seen puppies or kittens for sale in a pet shop for years. I'd had thought the internet would've taken that trade away from the shops, no?

• Like 5

16 hours ago, stevewinn said:

I haven't seen puppies or kittens for sale in a pet shop for years. I'd had thought the internet would've taken that trade away from the shops, no?

The last time I was in a pet shop was to buy goldfish food and that was donkey's years ago. I don't know what pets they sell nowadays but I think the rescue and rehoming centers are more popular anyway.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Yep, there is now preloved. 

We were looking on there a few years back and my husband emailed a couple of people on there who were giving their dogs away for free, no papers. he told them it was a ve ry dangerous move for the dogs  as they could be used for dog fighting. 

Pets should be properly registered, chipped and in good health before being sold and not given away for free to anyone who answers an ad. 

• Like 3

On 09/02/2018 at 0:12 PM, freetoroam said:

Yep, there is now preloved. 

We were looking on there a few years back and my husband emailed a couple of people on there who were giving their dogs away for free, no papers. he told them it was a ve ry dangerous move for the dogs  as they could be used for dog fighting. 

Pets should be properly registered, chipped and in good health before being sold and not given away for free to anyone who answers an ad. 

There's not much chance of dog fighters wanting a free dog, i see what you're saying but people willing to pay a lot of money will abuse dogs and there's many occasion when giving a dog to someone is the right thing to do say an old dog given to an old aged pensioner to keep each other company but you are right it is a minefield.

• Like 1

similar law was considered here, but did not pass, i do see puppies and kittens in pet stores, stores get their puppies from puppy mills, where dogs are abused, i've seen video from busts of these puppy mills,  horrible conditions, dogs are bread till they can't no more then killed,. they are kept in filthy cages, and in some case stay in those cages their entire life,  a reputable breeder will never sell their dogs to a pet store, so buying pets in stores is supporting those mills.  shelters adoption, is not nearly as easy as media make it sound, you need more paperwork filled out, and more documents provide than when you apply for a home loan, it's like they do everything in their power to discourage you from getting a pet there,  also you have no idea, who were parents of the dog you adopt, could be some very aggressive genes in a dog that wont manifest until later, majority of those dogs are either strays, or product of backyard breeding.  i've seen people adopt very "nice and friendly dogs" who attacked them latter.