Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alberta-B.C. pipeline fight

glorybebe

2 hours ago, aztek said:

i have little doubt it is a political decision, not lack of research

The rich doing favors for the rich. Looking forward to higher gas prices and more dependence on Saudi oil, not to mention the missed job opportunities on a +$7 billion project.

In its initial study of the project, the NEB found that the pipeline would not cause significant adverse environmental impacts.

But the court has determined that conclusion is bogus because it did not assess the impacts of marine shipping — increased tanker traffic that would result from the expanded pipeline — on the environment and southern resident killer whales in the waters around the line's shipping terminal.

So the pipeline itself is environmentally sound but the whole proposal is rejected because the pipeline will increase tanker traffic?? Am I reading this right? Was the court looking for any reason to stop the pipeline?:huh:

• Like 2

Now, the Liberal government is the owner of a proposed pipeline project that could be subject to years of further review.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau said the federal government is carefully reviewing the decision but is determined to proceed with the project, that he said, is in the best national interest and "critically important" for the economy.

"We are absolutely committed to moving ahead with this project," he said at a news conference in Toronto. "What the decision today asked us to do is to respond promptly; gave us some direction on how we can do that in a way that is going to be efficient from a time standpoint. So we will be considering our next steps in light of that." 

that sounds like pretty good reason, but we know it is b.s, it is all politics.

just a small delay, nothing is dead

Edited by aztek

2 minutes ago, Podo said:

Sorry, but I support the pipeline. It's important for our economy and the time is right for it. The NEB isn't worried about pipeline ruptures and the project will be a net benefit for the country across the board.

Why Kinder Morgan sold it to the Gov is beyond me. @aztek is right - it reeks of shady politics.

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Sorry, but I support the pipeline. It's important for our economy and the time is right for it. The NEB isn't worried about pipeline ruptures and the project will be a net benefit for the country across the board.

Why Kinder Morgan sold it to the Gov is beyond me. @aztek is right - it reeks of shady politics.

I don't care if you're sorry or what you support. I'm happy that my province and home isn't going to be at increased environmental strain anymore. I truly do not care about the reasons. The important thing is that it is over, at least for now. There's a lot of work to do to clean up the coasts and waters, but not having more tankers and pipelines is a great first step.

• Like 1