Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A visit from beyond the grave?

curiousbeliever20

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. 2 days ago I sadly and suddenly lost my maternal grandmother who helped to raise me as a child. Her death was sudden and we were very close, so I am quite heartbroken at losing her. I have always believed in the power of the supernatural, and my grandma herself believed she was in touch with the spiritual - she would claim to see a black dog in her garden before a death in the family, and would always predict this right. She also attended seances and tarot readings often. I'm only 20 years old and my family all live in a different part of the country to me as I'm away studying, so I have been going through this with my boyfriend and contacting my family all day as we are all very close. 

I have been too afraid to tell my mom this as I don't want to upset her as she is completely devastated at losing her mother, but I think she has visited me. I was alone yesterday for the first time since the news, and I live in a small one bedroom apartment. I was in my bedroom and I could hear the living room door softly opening and closing (it's the middle of winter here so I had no windows or doors open, and I'm on the third floor so the downstairs door is a long way down). There was no breeze but I did not feel scared, I felt as if it was my grandma softly saying "I'm with you". Later on the same day, I was in my sitting room watching a TV show, with my laptop connected to the TV by HDMI. It was about 40 minutes into the show when I went to get up to go to the kitchen, and as I did, the TV started to switch between black and static. The stream on my laptop was fine and so was the HDMI cable, but every time I walked away it would do the same thing, yet when I came back to the sofa the TV would go back to normal. It was like something was asking me to stay close to the sofa, and not walk away. When I was trying to sleep last night, I heard a bang in the kitchen, and a loaf of bread had been pushed all the way off the top of the fridge onto the floor, even though it was not near the edge. Usually, something like this would scare me, but I felt as if it was just my grandma letting me know she would be here to look after me whilst I slept. 

I feel like she is here with me just because I am away from my family, and she doesn't want me to go through grief alone (I've never lost a family member so close, so this is a very new experience and set of emotions for me). I don't know if its just me looking too deep into this, or processing my grief this way, but I've never had a strange paranormal experience before so I'm curious as to how this is happening so close to losing her. If anyone has any advice or similar experiences then please let me know, as I'd really love to find out if my grandma is just checking up on me and saying goodbye (I was away from home when she passed). 

Thank you, everyone!

• Like 4

Welcome to UM curious :st Please, take time to check out some threads, read the site rules, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I'm not sure what all you got going on, it is interesting.

Hello, let me start by saying im very sorry for your loss.  I am pretty new to alot of this but in my opinion i definitely think it was indeed your grandmother.  Ive had some of my own little things happen an have looked into this situation myself some an in my opinion its just your grandmother letting you know shes ok an shes watching over you.

• Like 3

@curiousbeliever20

I think it is likely something paranormal is going on. My mom had something interesting happen after my father's death. I think these things are not at all that unusual. Psychics I respect understand this. Take it all as a good sign.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hummingbird 69 said:

Hello, let me start by saying im very sorry for your loss.  I am pretty new to alot of this but in my opinion i definitely think it was indeed your grandmother.  Ive had some of my own little things happen an have looked into this situation myself some an in my opinion its just your grandmother letting you know shes ok an shes watching over you.

Thank you for your kind words, the experiences have stopped the past few days so I'm taking it as she came to say goodbye and now she's passed over and will be watching from the other side, thank you again. 

• Like 2

Did you have any very memorable or distinct dreams during the time this was happening? Like, that she was in? My opa (grandpa) passed away a while ago and the t.v. he had given us turned on and off on its own, while unplugged. And my oma (grandma, his wife) had some weird kitchen appliances go off also. Plus a candle tipped over before his funeral,service at the church and left a scorch mark on the wooden wall panel then went out on its own....during this time, more than one of us had distinct dreams about him....ive read that very distinct ones that you remember what happened clearly are visits from a loved one who' passed.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, Ittakesmagic139 said:

Did you have any very memorable or distinct dreams during the time this was happening? Like, that she was in? My opa (grandpa) passed away a while ago and the t.v. he had given us turned on and off on its own, while unplugged. And my oma (grandma, his wife) had some weird kitchen appliances go off also. Plus a candle tipped over before his funeral,service at the church and left a scorch mark on the wooden wall panel then went out on its own....during this time, more than one of us had distinct dreams about him....ive read that very distinct ones that you remember what happened clearly are visits from a loved one who' passed.

I'm sorry for your loss, I feel like your experiences might have been your opa contacting you, especially with the TV! I haven't had any dreams which is strange because I'm a frequent and vivid dreamer - I dream most nights and always remember them. I haven't had a dream I can remember since my grandma died 2 weeks ago which is very strange for me. However, my mother told me the other night that she woke up at 2:55am and heard a voice saying "she's okay now, she's with Wynn and Kit" which were family members who were close to my grandma and had passed before her death. We think that as she hadn't had any other experiences that this was just my grandmother coming to her in a dream saying she was okay, and not to worry for her. 

• Like 1