Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syrians shoot down Israeli F-16

Gromdor

So the Syrians shot down an Israeli F-16 targeting Iranians:  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43014081

The Kurds shot down a Turkish helicopter (same link)

And the US bombs and kills 100 pro-government forces (possibly including Russian mercenaries):  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42986089

Been a busy week.  I'm noticing a distinct lack of ISIS in all these events.  Would it be safe to say that we left the pretense of fighting terrorism and are in fact fighting a proxy war at this point?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gromdor said:

So the Syrians shot down an Israeli F-16 targeting Iranians:  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43014081

The Kurds shot down a Turkish helicopter (same link)

And the US bombs and kills 100 pro-government forces (possibly including Russian mercenaries):  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42986089

Been a busy week.  I'm noticing a distinct lack of ISIS in all these events.  Would it be safe to say that we left the pretense of fighting terrorism and are in fact fighting a proxy war at this point?

From what I've been able to glean, this Israeli attack was against a chemical weapons manufacturing site.  The Syrians say they intercepted most of the incoming missiles, the Israelis say the strikes were successful.  It started when an Iranian drone was intercepted and shot down over Israel.  And it wasn't the Syrians that shot down the F-16.  It was Russians at the Hmeimim airbase.  This is a dangerous escalation and verifies that Putin has decided to help Iran's goals in Syria versus Israel.  But hey, the Iranians haven't attacked anyone for a couple hundred years, right?  It should be okay.

ETA - According to CNN it wasn't the Russian AA batteries but Syrian, FWIW.  So I stand to be corrected.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/middleeast/israel-military-jet-crash/index.html

Edited by and then
update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

From what I've been able to glean, this Israeli attack was against a chemical weapons manufacturing site.  The Syrians say they intercepted most of the incoming missiles, the Israelis say the strikes were successful.  It started when an Iranian drone was intercepted and shot down over Israel.  And it wasn't the Syrians that shot down the F-16.  It was Russians at the Hmeimim airbase.  This is a dangerous escalation and verifies that Putin has decided to help Iran's goals in Syria versus Israel.  But hey, the Iranians haven't attacked anyone for a couple hundred years, right?  It should be okay.

ETA - According to CNN it wasn't the Russian AA batteries but Syrian, FWIW.  So I stand to be corrected.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/middleeast/israel-military-jet-crash/index.html

Of course it was, just like there were no Russian pilots flying jets for North Koreans and the NVAF.

• Like 1

Syria is a complete mess, many factions fighting others about "Who's better than who". I think some of us on here thought it would be over few years ago, but there won' be a solution for many years to come

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Syria is a complete mess, many factions fighting others about "Who's better than who". I think some of us on here thought it would be over few years ago, but there won' be a solution for many years to come

I think its probably more accurately said  "all the foreign actors in Syria have made it a complete mess" . Had we and others not shown up I think Syria would most likely be just fine right now - relatively speaking of course. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I think its probably more accurately said  "all the foreign actors in Syria have made it a complete mess" . Had we and others not shown up I think Syria would most likely be just fine right now - relatively speaking of course. 

too many chef's in the kitchen. at some point Gordon Ramsey (America) is gonna blow his top. 

2 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

i agree. i just can't see why Assad had to go in the first place and why Syria is so important. must be an ego thing. 

Israel had free reign over Syrian airspace, striking whenever and wherever they want. Now that Syrian forces are better equipped to defend themselves (thanks to Russian and Iranian S-300 technology), the IDF needs to be a lot more careful.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Israel had free reign over Syrian airspace, striking whenever and wherever they want. Now that Syrian forces are better equipped to defend themselves (thanks to Russian and Iranian S-300 technology), the IDF needs to be a lot more careful.

The Russians placed S-400's at Hmeimim, near the port of Latakia, in the north of Syria after the Turkish shootdown of one of their aircraft.  Those aren't Syrian AA.  They also aren't manned by Syrian techs, most likely.  The F-16 was over Israeli territory when the crew punched out. If they had been taken captive or if they'd been killed, we would be seeing an unpredictable escalation at this point.  Israel has shown restraint in this conflict on their borders but cannot allow Iran to have free reign to build up their forces and the situation is becoming more dangerous.  The future of this conflict will be determined more by the Russian response to Iran's choices.  Israel will do what they must to defend themselves.  All hell could break loose in that region if Russia or Iran decide to play hard ball.

5 hours ago, and then said:

The Russians placed S-400's at Hmeimim, near the port of Latakia, in the north of Syria after the Turkish shootdown of one of their aircraft.  Those aren't Syrian AA.  They also aren't manned by Syrian techs, most likely.

According to a RT article:

Russia’s Defense Ministry said they have numerous S-300, S-400 Defenses up and running in Syria.

He also noted that Syria itself has S-200 as well as BUK systems, and their technical capabilities have been updated over the past year.

Israel hasn't shown any restraint in flying over Syrian airspace over the past few years

[LINK] Israel Keeps Bombing Syria and Nobody Is Doing Anything About It

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

I think syria won't shoot down any more, they haven't shot down any Turkish, American or an others because they know these nations of nuclear weapons. The Syrian government is scared of this becoming a reality

23 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

I think syria won't shoot down any more, they haven't shot down any Turkish, American or an others because they know these nations of nuclear weapons. The Syrian government is scared of this becoming a reality

Or because they were not directly attacking the Syrian Army.

Have done in the past but no anti air fire or deployment of Thier own aircraft, they won' get drawn into another war where reasources are limited and lose.