Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God from the Investigation of Existence

oslove

32 minutes ago, oslove said:

I challenge you to produce a rational explanation of why and how you become atheist.

The similarities between "God" and malignant narcissism are too striking for one.  The bible says the earth is flat is another.

1 hour ago, oslove said:

Okay, at the risk of extremely antagonizing you all out and out atheists, I challenge you to produce a rational explanation of why and how you become atheist.

Lack of results. Confirmation bias and magical thinking can only go so far, before reason (hopefully) kicks in. Mostly it was due to pushy believers who had that hellfire and brimstone mindset, plus the sheer hypocrisy that is present in most (if not all) churches. Also god has never given me a reason to believe in it, but people sure do want to. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Lack of results. Confirmation bias and magical thinking can only go so far, before reason (hopefully) kicks in. Mostly it was due to pushy believers who had that hellfire and brimstone mindset, plus the sheer hypocrisy that is present in most (if not all) churches. Also god has never given me a reason to believe in it, but people sure do want to. 

What reason?

Give any reasonable explanation as to why they isn't a God?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Give any reasonable explanation as to why they isn't a God?

Can you show me God? The exact being of most spiritual discussion. Can you provide any factual evidence that isn't confirmation bias. Outside of your own imagination. If you can not, then there is no reason be believe in such childish things.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Can you show me God? The exact being of most spiritual discussion. Can you provide any factual evidence that isn't confirmation bias. Outside of your own imagination. If you can not, then there is no reason be believe in such childish things.

Well I have been trying but it seems like nothing I say is enough, which is fine, but now I would like you to try and give any evidence to the idea that God doesn't exsist? 

Whats good for the goose, is good for the Fish...lolzz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well I have been trying but it seems like nothing I say is enough, which is fine, but now I would like you to try and give any evidence to the idea that God doesn't exsist? 

Whats good for the goose, is good for the Fish...lolzz

Wow.  Talk about shooting oneself in the foot and then backing it up with an analogy...

Geese and fish are rather different species, so if you put a goose underwater, it generally won't thrive... and vice versa.  I know this as I used to manage a marine science research centre, btw...  :D

Anyway, did you know why us sciency folk say that you cannot prove a negative?  Here let me offer a hint, while you are thinking about the underwater goose.

I now make the claim that rainbow-horned unicorns created the Universe.

Now, how would YOU prove that's not true?  Well, then, clearly my claim is validated!!!

In other words, it is up to the person offering a claim about something they think exists - ie in your case God, or in mine, those rainbow-endowed unicorns, to back that up with direct evidence. If that can't, then everyone is fully entitled to say "Sorry, until you got evidence, you got NUTHIN."

It doesn't work the other way around...

If you can't follow that... well, then I guess we know where you are coming from...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

"Sorry, until you got evidence, you got NUTHIN."

Yes, it's true.

YOU got NUTHIN.

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Yes, it's true.

YOU got NUTHIN.

Why Will? 

We all know that Chrlz can easily support his claims with evidence. We all know you have none and rely on faith. Your the one with nothing to share here other than your opinion, and frankly, you have a horrid way of forcing it on others. You are a terrible ambassador for faith and I know this for sure as there are some excellent ambassadors here like Diechecker and Hammerclaw. Your only reason for posting here seems to be to bait anyone with a rational outlook and to force your views down everyone's throats and then stuff that idiotic UB down as well to finish your mess. Your an embarrassment to your belief and one of the best reasons to dismiss a religious outlook. Talking like a fortune cookie does not make you sound wise, it makes you sound like an uniformed zealot. If you really do care for your faith as you claim to, you should follow the people mentioned above and learn how to do better because with your current agenda and approach, you do nothing but damage to that which you proclaim to love lessening your credibility and readibility again. Seriously, you need a long hard look in the mirror to come to terms with what your trying to achieve because your making religion more unpleasant and sound more ridiculous than it ever seemed. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, oslove said:

Okay, at the risk of extremely antagonizing you all out and out atheists, I challenge you to produce a rational explanation of why and how you become atheist.

Everybody is born atheistic. It's indoctrination (mostly) from an early age that changes that unfortunately. (The younger you are, the more gullible and easily influenced.)

Honestly, you've spouted nothing but pure and utter garbage up to now, and for what? To preach. You have no intention of listening to anything of value and keep waffling on about 'gobbledegook'. Jeez, talk about irony. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

Everybody is born atheistic.

Do you have kids?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

Everybody is born atheistic..

Exactly and as long as noone introduce religion the person wont be religious..
I grew up in a home where we never even talked about religion because my parents are not religious.

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you have kids?

I have two and will never talk about religion with them until they come and ask questions themselfs.
I wont judge them if they become religious when they get older but I will try to teach them to think for themselfs.
To critize and question what is real and what is not.
My brother in law baptized their kid last weekend.
Me and my kids didnt go because I wont drag my kids to church to watch someone be baptized against their will.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you have kids?

Is it relevant?

13 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Exactly and as long as noone introduce religion the person wont be religious..
I grew up in a home where we never even talked about religion because my parents are not religious.

I have two and will never talk about religion with them until they come and ask questions themselfs.
I wont judge them if they become religious when they get older but I will try to teach them to think for themselfs.
To critize and question what is real and what is not.
My brother in law baptized their kid last weekend.
Me and my kids didnt go because I wont drag my kids to church to watch someone be baptized against their will.

Do you think you're 100% sure that you are not influencing your kids to be an atheist?

46 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you think you're 100% sure that you are not influencing your kids to be an atheist?

No of course I cant be 100% of that but I let them find out for themselfs.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

No of course I cant be 100% of that but I let them find out for themselfs.

We all influence our kids don't we? But I will honestly say, that my kids have influenced me much more than I'll ever influence them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herr Falukorv said:

I let mine decide. Easier and honestly smarter that way. If god really existed, no one would have to teach us about it.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 5

I think the real reason I dislike the religious (not all of them) is being told how wrong I am for not believing. As if they can authentically back their belief up. A lot of them tend to have this arrogant attitude because they are 'saved'. Saved from what exactly. Even in their own religious frame work there are two choices, willful slavery to an angry and jealous god or hell. That right there does not make a bit of sense to me. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Saved from what exactly.

Saved from what the same god will do to them if they don't believe in him, of course! But that god is also one of compassion, naturally :mellow:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Podo said:

Saved from what the same god will do to them if they don't believe in him, of course! But that god is also one of compassion, naturally :mellow:

That's what you call a contradiction.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Podo said:

This God character sounds like a pretty bad guy.

• Like 2

On 21 February 2018 at 9:43 PM, XenoFish said:

I can show you life, life that MUST have been engendered from Other life. 

But please, show us the evidence that God doesn't exsist, 

All this energy that underlies and moves the universe, that was behind the Big Bang, that is within every atom and star - where does this come from Fish? 

On 2/17/2018 at 5:07 AM, oslove said:

Dear colleagues here, there is a lot of talk among mankind on all kinds of things, but they usually shun from talking about existence itself, because they fear to think about it, it being so common that it is almost beyond their capability to think about it as to grasp it, and verbalize their grasp in language. *snip*

Dear atheist colleagues here, do you have beliefs at all?

I like very much to know what are your beliefs.

From Oslove

Dear colleagues here, there is a lot of talk among mankind on all kinds of things, but they usually shun from talking about existence itself, because they fear to think about it, it being so common that it is almost beyond their capability to think about it as to grasp it, and verbalize their grasp in language. *snip*

From Kismit

Edited Tuesday at 06:44 PM by Kismit
Disrespecting the belifs of others

• The topic was locked