Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Going Back to Windows 7

Keel M.

I still got my W7 OS running on my system, still using an old blackberry as a phone, and still pin inserting my card. Aint about to change any of that, as long as I can. As a (relatively young) IT guy, I am ridiculed / admonished because of that on a daily basis, for years now. Funny thing is, now people are starting to do likewise in increasing numbers.

The road to hell, Ive come to find, is paved by 'free' (ie. W10, FaceBook etc) and / or 'handy' (ie. Iphone, touchless payments etc) soft- and hardware, products. 

• Like 5

From what I've read Win7 and 8 will not be updated to support newer processors. So one might think about that before trying to install these OS's on newer computers.

Our office will not upgrade to 10 period. We still run XP and 7. Older machines are being switched to linux. 

Unfortunately we have Fire Alarm panel software that will only run on Windows and we are a Alarm company installer of residential and commercial fire and burg, so our laptops will have to remain windows. I haven't gotten around to seeing if the software will communicate with the panels from a virtualbox installation of windows in linux.

I'd be fine with learning Linux, but where I'm at now, nothing will replace Windows 10. It's like Windows 10 or you don't have a computer.

11 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

From what I've read Win7 and 8 will not be updated to support newer processors. So one might think about that before trying to install these OS's on newer computers.

It's for the manifacturers of those processors to provide drivers for Windows 7. I think most will, given that the OS is still popular.

35 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

From Buzz's link:

"Your ability to use Windows 7 and 8.1 on your existing machine depends on what kind of processor you’ve got. If your computer isn’t cutting edge, you’re probably fine. But if you’re using Intel’s latest-and-greatest Skylake processors, Microsoft is determined to strong-arm you into upgrading."

Sounds like a good reason to buy AMD...

Inevitably, there'll come a point where older versions of Windows aren't viable due to software or hardware, but I for one won't be bullied by Microsoft.

There'll always be another option.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 3

I feel like I'm somehow being forced to keep Win10 since I can't get the boot order to change.

• Like 1

Okay FINALLY found the step I was missing last night. What I thought wasn't saving actually did save, I just had to then make another change before the computer would read the USB stick and find the right info. Then I ran into a new problem. It started looking for a CD/DVD drive, which I don't have. I don't know if I did something wrong when I created that bootable USB or what. 

I bet someone else around here has a better answer for you but I would guess that you missed a step in creating the USB...thingy. It's been a while since I've done it but did you use image writer software? You have to download the OS then write that image to the USB, otherwise the PC sees the USB as just another storage device.

EDIT: What OS are you trying to install? If Win 7 I would be curious how you got that on a USB drive. 

Edited by internetperson

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

It's actually a cloud-based device. The HP Stream wasn't meant for people who need plenty of physical storage. It's Microsoft's response to the Chromebooks. It's designed to boot fast (hence the SSD) and browse the web. Every other tasks was intended to be done ''online''.

It looks like they offer 1 terabyte of cloud storage, but you have to pay for subscription to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I solved the problem last night by switching to Linux.

• Like 1