Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Art Bell: Fake Callers

BruiserBrody

Quoting Anonymous:

"So this is pretty interesting and its buzzing around some of the Art Bell/C2C forums. I heard about it in one of my top secret Art show trading groups. But, recently, Art, and some of his HAM radio buddy's admitted that some of the more famous callers on the show, such as JC Webster, The Area 51 caller, Mel Waters, pretty much all the strange recurring callers you can name, were Arts ham radio friends and they would plan out the calls and characters before hand. Some people seem up in arms about it, but it does not bother me much, as I always thought a lot of those callers were kind of staged anyways."

Found this on one of the Fans of Art Bell Facebook pages. 

11 minutes ago, BruiserBrody said:

Found this on one of the Fans of Art Bell Facebook pages. 

And is it at all a surprise for you?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

And is it at all a surprise for you?

Wackos calling in, no. Art being behind it, yes - to a degree. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BruiserBrody said:

Wackos calling in, no. Art being behind it, yes - to a degree. 

Well the feeling I’ve gotten any time his name has come up is that he is either completely ignorant or a fraud. 

• Like 2

Art has always been a bit of a mystery. He's had some very terrible and very sad events in his life and he's also done some strange things in response to those events. It isn't too far from what he is like to find out he might have staged calls. Ironically as a host (not just because of those calls but they helped) C2C was much better when he was hosting. Now it's basically new age book hawkers and it's nothing like it used to be. 

Edited by darkmoonlady

It's a radio show.

key word, show.

Though don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater... as with all things, be discerning and present and you'll likely sort it out for yourself.  Not that tough.

• Like 1

I have to say, I tried to use the show as some sort of resource to find out about the shadow person phenomena...and everything I heard on it was complete crap. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Use to listen a lot to the Art Bell show back in the late 90's on the night shift. The guests he had on then were much more credible, not so much now.

Used to listen to the show a lot in the 90’s and early 2000’s, not so much any more. Sad if true yet it was an entertaining show at one time.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:08 AM, Timonthy said:

Well the feeling I’ve gotten any time his name has come up is that he is either completely ignorant or a fraud. 

No, really, the most common view of him was that he would intentionally force an open mind for the entertainment value of the show, setting aside whatever potential personal views he had. It's kind of shocking instead to see him behind creating fake bits. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The fact is, all shows, no matter how pure their intent may be, have to keep their ratings up and provide and entertaining show. It seems unfortunate that a show like this should have any difficulty finding genuine guests or callers to talk about the unknown. There are countless numbers of people out there who are well versed in the subject. The fact that the producers of the show don't make the time or effort to find them indicates a lack of professionalism and a certain laziness unbecoming a radio show of such reputation. Granted, not everyone has a great radio voice or personality, but there are plenty that would fit the bill, so again, it's a matter of overcoming laziness and doing the job right by finding the right people rather than using 'planted' guests and callers.