Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magical Folk, British and Irish Fairies

rashore

Dr Simon Young and Dr Ceri Houlbrook are the contributing editors of Magical Folk: British and Irish Fairies, 500 AD to the Present, published by Gibson Square Books in January 2018. Dr Houlbrook is Early Career Researcher of History and Folklore at the University of Hertfordshire, and previously co-edited The Materiality of Magic: An artefactual investigation into ritual practices and popular beliefs, published by Oxbow. Dr Young’s name may be familiar to many as the author of the regular Fairies, Folklore and Forteana column in Fortean Times. He also runs www.fairyist.com – online hub of The Fairy Investigation Society (est. 1927) via which he collected and collated the data for The Fairy Census 2014-2017 (which is free to read online). The census and Magical Folk were knocked into shape simultaneously during the Autumn of 2017; these two exhaustive and impressive works are closely intertwined, with many encounters documented in the survey also being included in the book.

https://www.dailygrail.com/2018/02/review-magical-folk-british-and-irish-fairies-500-ad-to-the-present/

• Like 5

This sounds like a good read.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, rashore said:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/34704/34704-h/34704-h.htm

This? Though it may break my heart to ask why you say "had".. why do you say "had"?

Because when I was in prison my uncle died and his family appointed a caretaker for me who was a grifter who used my trust fund to travel and buy a antique shop and fill it up with 7 generations of my family's stuff. That's why my farmhouse sits trashed and empty and I live in my camper.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Because when I was in prison my uncle died and his family appointed a caretaker for me who was a grifter who used my trust fund to travel and buy a antique shop and fill it up with 7 generations of my family's stuff. That's why my farmhouse sits trashed and empty and I live in my camper.

I think I need to throw up. I'm a bit of my families curator so to speak and that's painful. So the book might still exist at least, but.... yeah, figured it would break my heart.

Ok, gosh, sorry to get a bit derail with that.. Let's keep it to the wee folk here :)

• Like 2

Just now, rashore said:

I think I need to throw up. I'm a bit of my families curator so to speak and that's painful.

I was too. I was also the historian and librarian for the Quaker Meeting we founded so all those history files were lost.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was too. I was also the historian and librarian for the Quaker Meeting we founded so all those history files were lost.

Well then. A rant I shall snip myself here about this. But these are the kinds of records and lore losses that make me appreciate all the more the book of the OP.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, rashore said:

Well then. A rant I shall snip myself here about this. But these are the kinds of records and lore losses that make me appreciate all the more the book of the OP.

My mother's family was all about they're English mythology and folklore. She was named for Elen of the Hosts and use to read me all the legends before dope ate her brain. My chromosomal disorder is actually tied with the changling legend with the overly friendliness, pointed ears, crooked little fingers and eyes that change color she told me I would of been killed or shunned. A kid I watched with full blown Williams syndrome could actually be a elf  and they were mistaken for changlings too. 

• Like 3