Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Oumuamua asteroid hints at violent past

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

The space interloper 'Oumuamua is spinning chaotically and will carry on doing so for more than a billion years.

That is the conclusion of new Belfast research that has examined in detail the light bouncing off the cigar-shaped asteroid from outside our Solar System.

"At some point or another it's been in a collision," says Dr Wes Fraser from Queen's University.

It is yet another intriguing finding about this strange object that has fascinated scientists since its discovery back in October.

'Oumuamua comes from a different star system. Its path across the sky confirms it does not originate in our solar neighbourhood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43018706

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Still Waters

Previous threads:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk

I'm looking forward to watching this month's episode of the BBC's The Sky At Night tonight all about Oumuamua.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
6 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

I'm looking forward to watching this month's episode of the BBC's The Sky At Night tonight all about Oumuamua.

i was just going to post a heads up for tonights Sky At Night. according to the TV guide its the last of the series, for all the years i've watched the Sky At Night i didnt know it stopped for a break. When does the new Series start?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
10 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

i was just going to post a heads up for tonights Sky At Night. according to the TV guide its the last of the series, for all the years i've watched the Sky At Night i didnt know it stopped for a break. When does the new Series start?

 

I don't know why it says that on the TV guide. It doesn't say it on tvguide.co.uk. It must be a mistake. I'm sure it'll be on again next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
34 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

I don't know why it says that on the TV guide. It doesn't say it on tvguide.co.uk. It must be a mistake. I'm sure it'll be on again next month.

You're correct.  Here's the BBC Guide. There's two upcoming episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCC1701

The "tumbling" that they observed is an induced  rotation to create artificial gravity in both ends of the starship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paperdyer

We can have the new Doctor check it out.

Was the asteroid moving that fast that someone couldn't launch something or someone to get a better look at it?  I can't believe we just let it go by with very little investigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waspie_Dwarf
2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Was the asteroid moving that fast that someone couldn't launch something or someone to get a better look at it?

Yes it was. But that is no different to any other newly discovered comet or near Earth asteroid. These things are moving far too fast to simply launch a probe to with a few days notice.

For example ESA's famous Rosetta mission to the comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko required 10 YEARS and a fly-by of Mars to catch its target.

Besides do you really think that space agencies have enough funds to keep a few spare rockets and multi-billion dollar space probes laying around just in case something interesting turns up unexpectedly?

3 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I can't believe we just let it go by with very little investigation.

We didn't, which is how we have learned so much about it in just a few weeks. Just because we can't reach it with a spacecraft doesn't mean it was ignored. It was examined by many of the leading observatories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.