Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is There a God who loves us?

Guyver

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You do realize that tell yourself or others this creates self hatred, right? 

It really doesn't. What it does is creating room for improvement for us as a specy. We all need to work on ourselves as individuals. It's also a call to action, remembering that I can be perfected morally and spiritually. One great way one to accomplish that is to follow the teachings of Christ.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:10 AM, Guyver said:

If you believe that there is a God who loves us, why do you believe so?

I don't think it is a single God but an energy that is love and holds love for all. Then again what is love? A caring energy maybe? I really don't know but interesting to think about.

• Like 1

If we really sit down and think about it. Is it love that we are here or just an accident? Is it love that we get to enjoy this Earth in this body? What is this body? I have to assume there is something such as the Universe that creates us to live and experience. I disagree with the religion version of God but I have to assume there is something that created all this and that it isn't just a random coincidence.

1 hour ago, Truthseeker007 said:

If we really sit down and think about it. Is it love that we are here or just an accident? Is it love that we get to enjoy this Earth in this body? What is this body? I have to assume there is something such as the Universe that creates us to live and experience. I disagree with the religion version of God but I have to assume there is something that created all this and that it isn't just a random coincidence.

Hi TS007

This energy that is behind everything, that is in everything, every atom, every chemical, physical, biological and mental process, this energy that creates galaxies, this energy that allows for an exspanding universe. It has to arise from Something.

Modern science tells us that energy cannot simply appear out of nothing. Unless you are talking about the Big Bang? So in fact, this whole scientific model is based on a miracle which is pretty ironic!!

This energy no matter what anybody wishes to call it, it is intelligent and it is alive. How do we know this, because we also have intelligence and life too, we have consciousness and free will.

As above so below..

6 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

It really doesn't. What it does is creating room for improvement for us as a specy. We all need to work on ourselves as individuals. It's also a call to action, remembering that I can be perfected morally and spiritually. One great way one to accomplish that is to follow the teachings of Christ.

You're not everyone. Especially a child who repeatedly gets the message that they are flawed, which in their mind translates to worthless. Then they grow up never feeling good enough. Never striving for anything, because no matter how good or righteous they might,be. It doesn't matter. Because God has already judged them as being worthless. You know, psychological damage.

God is love, right? 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

God is good.

We are imperfect beings. We have experienced a fall. We decided to experience the (often) brutal aspects of a material world. But the effects of sin is removed through faith in Jesus' ransom sacrifice, and the effects of death will be reversed by means of the resurrection.

None other than God demanded this ransom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

follow the teachings of Christ.

Guess I need to go to my local mega church and start beating the absolute hell out of the people. Wreck the gift shop, book store, and coffee shop it has. Awesome, and I'm totally justified.:tu:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Guess I need to go to my local mega church and start beating the absolute hell out of the people. Wreck the gift shop, book store, and coffee shop it has. Awesome, and I'm totally justified.:tu:

Nooo not the coffee shop but I'm all good with the rest.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

One great way one to accomplish that is to follow the teachings of Christ.

Which ones?  Should we pick and choose?  Should we follow the do unto others guideline but not follow the Scribes and Pharisee's because they sit in Moses seat?  it can be confusing because the bible testifies that Jesus was sent to the lost sheep of the House of Israel.  So, he validated the religion of the Jews by claiming that people should follow Moses and keep the law; the very thing the Apostle Paul said couldn't save you and makes you anti-christ if you do.  

• Like 1

He also said to chop off your hand or cut out your eye if it causes you to sin.  Nobody follows that one.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

He also said to chop off your hand or cut out your eye if it causes you to sin.  Nobody follows that one.  

It's easier and hurts less if you do it to someone else.:whistle:

jmccr8 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Jesus losing his temper does support the contention that he was fully human and not 'perfect'. It can happen to everyone if we let ourselves react emotionally. Also, the price for Jesus’ teaching through this act of indignation cost Him His life. That's when the authorities started plotting his arrest which ultimately lead to his crucifixion. So, be ready to pay a price, if you attempt to do that at your local mega church. :tu:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

And how surprising , another true believer who doesn't see the big picture:

I consider myself a free thinker. Not bound to any church or congregation. An alternative christian.

My religion is Universal.

k3nj4k.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

Which ones?  Should we pick and choose?  Should we follow the do unto others guideline but not follow the Scribes and Pharisee's because they sit in Moses seat?  it can be confusing because the bible testifies that Jesus was sent to the lost sheep of the House of Israel.  So, he validated the religion of the Jews by claiming that people should follow Moses and keep the law; the very thing the Apostle Paul said couldn't save you and makes you anti-christ if you do.  

Love, charity, tolerance, justice, non-violence, freedom of choice, human brotherhood

The core of Jesus's teachings as found in the gospels.

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

Metaphorically, of course. The idea is to remove the cause of your sins and that can be achieved by working on yourself.

16 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

An alternative christian.

In other words you took what you liked and discarded the rest. A lot of people do that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

In other words you took what you liked and discarded the rest. A lot of people do that. 

What did I discard? My interpretation may be different, that's one thing. I'm not a Biblical Literalists. But the philosphy of Christ I fully embrace.

• Like 1

Just now, Clockwork_Spirit said:

What did I discard? My interpretation may be different, that's one thing. I'm not a Biblical Literalists. But the philosphy of Christ I fully embrace.

So? You think that makes you 'special'? You're just another cafeteria christian.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So? You think that makes you 'special'? You're just another cafeteria christian.

''The term implies a casual support of the faith, without any genuine identification with its principles.''

I cannot relate to that description, sorry. Since I fully identify with the christian principles.

But I'm no more special than you. That is just the way I choose and try, to lead my life.

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

''The term implies a casual support of the faith, without any genuine identification with its principles.''

I cannot relate to that description, sorry. Since I fully identify with the christian principles.

But I'm no more special than you. That is just the way I choose, and try, to lead my life.

I will never understand people like you. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I will never understand people like you. 

I guess we just have a different conception of what Christ-ianity truly is about. Mine is removed from the dogmatic, power-hungry Catholic Church and other fundamentalist nonsense that disfigured Jesus' message. Yours may not.

• Like 1

I guess we just have a different conception of christ-ianity. Mine is removed from the dogmatic, power-hungry Catholic Church or fundamentalist nonesense. Yours may not.

Mine doesn't exist. I do not idolize a fictional character. I do not understand this need to worship or admire some deity or in Jesus's case a demi-god. I can't understand that at all. What need does it satisfy? Is it all just an exercise in vanity? 

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Mine doesn't exist. I do not idolize a fictional character.

How do you know for a fact he is fictional character and if so, how does it make his teachings irrelevant?

Was Socrates a fictional character too?

I do not understand this need to worship or admire some deity or in Jesus's case a demi-god.

Did Jesus ever claimed he was a demi-god?

How do you know he is fictional character and if so, how does it make his teachings irrelevant?

Did Jesus ever claimed he was a demi-god?

You do realize that Zeus created several demi-gods with mortal women right? And Jesus was fathered by god to a mortal woman, making him a demi-god. And if he did exist, where is his corpse. And don't give me that mystical bs about it vanishing and going to heaven. If he existed he was a fully mortal cult leader.

If you want to adhere to the philosophy of a fictional character that's fine with me. I just don't get this compulsion people have for faith and god. The need to believe the universe revolves around them. I don't get it. 

37 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You do realize that Zeus created several demi-gods with mortal women right? And Jesus was fathered by god to a mortal woman, making him a demi-god. And if he did exist, where is his corpse. And don't give me that mystical bs about it vanishing and going to heaven. If he existed he was a fully mortal cult leader.

In the New Testament, Christ's 'virgin birth' is related only by Luke and Matthew. I personally have my doubts and I'm more a proponent that Jesus Christ was fully human. In no way does that mean that the person of Jesus did not exist or that his impact was any less significant though. As to his corpse , I ask: Where are the remains of Socrates or Buddha? Does that mean you deny their existences too?

Folks, some reminder of the rules here for this section of UM.

'Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs' board guidelines

Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

The Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs board is primarily aimed at discussing general topics pertaining to religion and spirituality, for skeptic vs believer style discussion and debate on the nature of spirituality themed topics please visit the Spirituality vs Skepticism board.

• Like 1