Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is There a God who loves us?

Guyver

I don't think a loving deity could possibly exist, unless it was simultaneously powerless. There are too many terrible things in the universe. If there is a creator, that creator is really bad at her job.

Edited by Podo

On 2/11/2018 at 11:10 PM, Guyver said:

If you believe that there is a God who loves us, why do you believe so?

Yes. I've 'experienced' "Him" in the afterlife, and resurrection is more than myth to me...but God or Christ is more than religion.

Edited by Ehrman Pagels 1
additional facts
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2018 at 11:16 PM, Guyver said:

The gods the Greeks had were just weird......so anyway.  Yeah, the Greek gods don't really paint a picture of loving God for starters.  

The way a human being "love," or how one defines "love," is quite vague when it comes to the "unconditional-love" POWER or radiance of the Divine. Yes, "unconditional love" is POWER, not some kind of action; otherwise, it would NOT be a unconditional.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 8:05 AM, Guyver said:

Yeah, I do agree with you.....it is hard to imagine a being so capable as God who would need anything - especially from people who often can’t remember what they had for dinner last night.

First of all, you have to do your homework to answer such a profound question. There really is so much to say on this matter, not just a sentence or two. We are dealing with ancient texts, which were written by human creatures, if you catch my drift. In my 'experience,' I automatically fell on my invisible knees with invisible tears of joy falling from my invisible eyes in "His" radiant presence. On the other hand, not everyone will be able to see Christ, according to ancient texts -- VERY long story. So, do we really know how to love, or are our actions to love dictated by manipulated ancient texts' "commands"?

Edited by Ehrman Pagels 1
question mark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ehrman Pagels 1 said:

First of all, you have to do your homework to answer such a profound question. There really is so much to say on this matter, not just a sentence or two. We are dealing with ancient texts, which were written by human creatures, if you catch my drift. In my 'experience,' I automatically fell on my invisible knees with invisible tears of joy falling from my invisible eyes in "His" radiant presence. On the other hand, not everyone will be able to see Christ, according to ancient texts -- VERY long story. So, do we really know how to love, or are our actions to love dictated by manipulated ancient texts' "commands"?

I’d say the answer to that is a resounding NO.  I studied those ancient texts for decades and they didn’t teach me how to love.  Not sure I really know how yet, or even what love really is.  I’d say, if I had to....that love is selfless concern and positive action.

i like what you say in describing God as you understand or have experienced....and say you’re one of the lucky few.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

his teachings 

I don't worship Jesus or anybody else for that matter, but I do agree with most of his words!

However, I think this kind of behavior has to come naturally in order for it to be real and true.

And I guess that's why most Christians aren't like Jesus at all, in fact, they are often the opposite of what he stood for.

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 3

On 12. 02. 2018. at 8:10 AM, Guyver said:

If you believe that there is a God who loves us, why do you believe so?

Makes me feel better. That's why I am not a Catholic.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

his teachings 

I personally don't care if Jesus was real or not because I focus on the message.

And the message sounds true to me.

• Like 1