Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unilever / Facebook thing

travelnjones

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/media/unilever-advertising-facebook-google-swamp/index.html

They are demanding censorship on a very large scale.  Another article says Trump is a danger to democracy https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/02/11/harvard-professors-donald-trump-democracy-threat-intv-newday.cnn .  But If companies demand and end to individuals free speech ( no matter how foul) I see that as far worse.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/media/unilever-advertising-facebook-google-swamp/index.html

They are demanding censorship on a very large scale.  Another article says Trump is a danger to democracy https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/02/11/harvard-professors-donald-trump-democracy-threat-intv-newday.cnn .  But If companies demand and end to individuals free speech ( no matter how foul) I see that as far worse.

Wow...

• Like 1

I guess it's no secret how much influence big business has in politics.

They have so much power these days though that they don't feel the need to keep their agenda in the shadows any longer.

• Like 4

I keep telling you, it's not the government that we will end up surrendering our freedoms to, but rather to business as a condition of employment.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 2

Yes, how DARE they decide to not advertise with Facebook or Google....  Oh the humanity!!!

And here's what they said:

{there is} a proliferation of objectionable content on social media -- and a lack of protections for children -- is eroding social trust, harming users and undermining democracies.

Huh, as if that's true...

Unilever would no longer advertise on platforms that create divisions in society or fail to protect young people.

Despicable...  They should be locked up for that sort of attitude.......  Divisions in society?  People needing protection?   As if..

(anyone spot the sarcasm?)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I guess it's no secret how much influence big business has in politics.

They have so much power these days though that they don't feel the need to keep their agenda in the shadows any longer.

Or politics is a business? It's all same, same.

Two words: Curtail Lobbyists,

That's the real swamp. :sk  <-----!!!

• Like 6

The point being, Facebook is a platform for individuals to communicate. Since Facebook produces nothing, this is a company trying to censor individuals in my mind.  While there is the argument that those individuals can simply leave and use another application should Facebook change it's policies, the defacto monopoly Facebook holds makes that moot.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, travelnjones said:

Its one in the same. Trump wants to give corporations the rule of the world. Deregulation is great in theory , in practice you're simply giving psychopaths carte blanch to raid the nation at the peril of the citizenry. 

CEO is the profession with the most psychopaths.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 0:21 PM, travelnjones said:

The point being, Facebook is a platform for individuals to communicate. Since Facebook produces nothing, this is a company trying to censor individuals in my mind.  While there is the argument that those individuals can simply leave and use another application should Facebook change it's policies, the defacto monopoly Facebook holds makes that moot.  

But at what point does communication become dangerous?  How many people believe everything they believe on Facebook?  The Pizzagate issue was highly shared on Facebook, and led to someone shooting up an innocent pizza place because they though Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of the back of it.  Facebook absolutely has an obligation to censor the fake BS, as people are either unable, unwilling, or too lazy to do the research to know that what they are reading in a meme is completely fake.

• Like 3

You can bake a fake but ya can't fake a bake ...

or ...

You can break a fake but you can't fake a break ...

~

hmmmmm ....

Edited by third_eye
punundrum

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, ChrLzs said:

Yes, how DARE they decide to not advertise with Facebook or Google....  Oh the humanity!!!

And here's what they said:

Huh, as if that's true...

Despicable...  They should be locked up for that sort of attitude.......  Divisions in society?  People needing protection?   As if..

(anyone spot the sarcasm?)

Yeah accept when you look at who is actually being silenced, these concerns often hold no water. Just being a popular main stream conservative is enough to get people shut down.

7 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah accept when you look at who is actually being silenced, these concerns often hold no water. Just being a popular main stream conservative is enough to get people shut down.

Perhaps a reexamination of what a popular mainstream conservative is is in order then? Do you have a list of who is being silenced? Are we talking about the likes of Milo and Spencer or have folks the caliber of Hannity or Carlson been shut down? 

Edited by Farmer77

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Perhaps a reexamination of what a popular mainstream conservative is is in order then? Do you have a list of who is being silenced? Are we talking about the likes of Milo and Spencer or have folks the caliber of Hannity or Carlson been shut down? 

Yeah blame the victim lol. my goodness Farm, its the same conservative, and libertarian messages its always been my entire life. Hear is a better idea, lets not support this Orwellian nightmare that is slowly descending on us.

The fact that you could put Milo and Spencer in the same sentence is just amazing. You have bought into the hype. Cause this is exactly what they wanted, to make people believe all conservative views are the same exact level. We are all Spencer. Every person I personally listen to is being silenced. I don't hold a single extreme view. Not by what always been considered extreme. ETA well aside from a couple conspiracies

Hannity has been silenced on some issues. The only reason they are not shut out completely is cause they are to big. Would cause way to much back lash. When Jordan Peterson gets both his facebook and youtube suspended, its more then obvious a insidious agenda is taking place. The guy isn't even right wing, he just shows the evils of communism in history. Lucky for him they underestimated his support and they had to reinstate him. But they are taking down all the little guys. Especially black conservatives.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Take this guy for instance. Retired police officer. Got into making youtube video's and putting them on facebook. Got big enough that a company hired him and he was making a good living. He and the company he worked for had to part ways, announced just the other day, because his messages just weren't getting out on facebook any more. I challenge you to find a single extreme view from him. Or profanity for that matter. Or heck anything that could be considered bad for advertisers. Unless of course said advertiser is simply against anything right of CNN.

https://www.youtube.com/user/btcruiser34

Edited by preacherman76

lmao, the same guy who is shtng bricks that his weed dispensary data will get in feds hands, is advocating for more gvmnt control, and sensorship,  maybe session has a point after all.

Edited by aztek

6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

yeah bs answer you are saying some thought is untouchable and therefore should be censored.  The corporations you are talking about are catering to a base that may be uncomfortable in examination.   

9 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

The fact that you could put Milo and Spencer in the same sentence is just amazing. You have bought into the hype. Cause this is exactly what they wanted, to make people believe all conservative views are the same exact level. We are all Spencer. Every person I personally listen to is being silenced. I don't hold a single extreme view. Not by what always been considered extreme. ETA well aside from a couple conspiracies

No you misunderstand. I'm not saying all conservatives are Spencer or Milo , however it is the "conservative" side which has lauded these folks causes as of late. Since I know those two have ran into several censorship issues with different platforms as of late I was simply trying to understand if it were those types you were referring to. 

Man the victim mentality from you guys has got to stop. 

9 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Hannity has been silenced on some issues. The only reason they are not shut out completely is cause they are to big. Would cause way to much back lash. When Jordan Peterson gets both his facebook and youtube suspended, its more then obvious a insidious agenda is taking place. The guy isn't even right wing, he just shows the evils of communism in history. Lucky for him they underestimated his support and they had to reinstate him. But they are taking down all the little guys. Especially black conservatives.

And this is exactly why the victim mentality has to stop. You guys have spun so much BS from the faux "war on Christmas" on that when you have legitimate points they get drowned out in the nonsensical Qanon style BS. 

I wasn't aware of the details of the Jordan Peterson story for instance, so after reading your post I went and dug into it.

Based on his viewpoints I cant imagine it was too difficult for someone to dig through his videos and find a "discriminatory" statement which violated the YT terms of service. That said you are right in that Google should at least own up and explain what made them decide to rescind his account. 

As for Hannity being silenced, well he's no more than a propagandist at this point and I'm pretty sure we both agree that law never should have been repealed in 2013.