Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Skeletons.

Midyin

10 hours ago, Midyin said:

100% honest, I had no clue what your gender was. It was only meant as a joke, and if it offended you or made you feel as though I would value you or your opinion any less because you’re a woman, then I am sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. 

I think that's decent of you to say.

IRL, because I'm not immediately recognizable as being in a minority, some people feel like they can share various anti-gay, anti-women, and anti-other-minority bigotry like it's okay, and I just get tired of it, even if the occasional mortified face when I point out I'm not anti- any of those things is gratifying.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Midyin said:

100% honest, I had no clue what your gender was. It was only meant as a joke, and if it offended you or made you feel as though I would value you or your opinion any less because you’re a woman, then I am sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. 

Thank you... that's sweet of you.

One thing that's most charming about this board is that members tend to be aware of social issues and as a rule are kind in their responses.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2018 at 4:16 AM, Midyin said:

They would be on the planet as it is today as things are very different now than what they were when Dinosaurs walked the earth. 

Gravity has not changed in the last 500 million years.  Biology and evolution have to follow the rules of the physical universe.  Biomechanics follows the same  limitations  as any other design project.  Larger bipeds would have different feet and legs than we do for one thing, more like elephants, perhaps to support larger weight.  Volume and surface area do not increase at the same rate.  Larger size requires different heat transfer mechanisms, blood flow, gas exchange etcetra.  All sorts of physical properties  limit the human design to a range of size and weight that works well for our design.  Piney knows what he is talking about.

For a fun exercise, consider a human 2x as big as yourself; maybe 12 feet tall.  His brain would be 2x2x2=8 times the size of yours if proportions held.  It would require a massive circulatory and cooling system and a lot of calories to keep it going if it was like our own.  Imagine how smart that sucker would be.  I'm not sure we could compete.  Maybe they already built their space ships and took off leaving the earth to their stunted children.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Thank you... that's sweet of you.

One thing that's most charming about this board is that members tend to be aware of social issues and as a rule are kind in their responses.

It was decent of him. But in Midyin's defense, nothing in your avatar stresses gender and there is no "Female" selected. I might suggest photoshopping a pink collar on your kitty. ^_^

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 4:53 AM, Midyin said:

I'm talking about the stories of Celtic giants. a huge people with fair skin and ginger red and/or blond hair. that were for all intents and purposes strong healthy people that just happened to like eating smaller people. These could have been neanderthals or maybe even a lost tribe of vikings that found their way to America(Though, I'm not sure if Cannibalism was a common Viking trait). But they were not considered to be Wendigo. they were something different. 

I'll tell you what.  If a guy many times as strong and many times as smart wants to eat you, your name is lunch.  Cannibalism was not a Viking trait btw.  Also, there were no lost tribes of Vikings.  They are called cheeseheads in our time, and they are not lost.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 4:32 PM, XenoFish said:

I'm 6'2" with red hair and a good bit of native american and celtic dna. Do I count?

Kinda short for a giant cannibal aren't you?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Kinda short for a giant cannibal aren't you?

Xeno isn't a full-on cannibal. He dines only on souls. And pies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

It was decent of him. But in Midyin's defense, nothing in your avatar stresses gender and there is no "Female" selected. I might suggest photoshopping a pink collar on your kitty. ^_^

Oh... didn't you notice?  My toenails are pink!  Really!  Just look!  I go to the salon every week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

For a fun exercise, consider a human 2x as big as yourself; maybe 12 feet tall.  His brain would be 2x2x2=8 times the size of yours if proportions held.  It would require a massive circulatory and cooling system and a lot of calories to keep it going if it was like our own.  Imagine how smart that sucker would be.  I'm not sure we could compete.  Maybe they already built their space ships and took off leaving the earth to their stunted children.

An interesting thing about brains is that "larger is not necessarily better."  We achieve "large" by all the folds and wrinkles - but neuron density has a lot to do with it.  Birds have relatively tiny brains but compensate by having a much higher neuron density than we do.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Oh... didn't you notice?  My toenails are pink!  Really!  Just look!  I go to the salon every week!

Well, silly me. I really ought to pay more attention.

I would've loved to see the manicurist work on that kitty!

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Well, silly me. I really ought to pay more attention.

I would've loved to see the manicurist work on that kitty!

Lots of tranquilizers.

(note:  I didn't say who they were for...)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kenemet said:

An interesting thing about brains is that "larger is not necessarily better."  We achieve "large" by all the folds and wrinkles - but neuron density has a lot to do with it.  Birds have relatively tiny brains but compensate by having a much higher neuron density than we do.

Yeah, I was thinking about giant "humans"  built along our design criteria and the problems involved.  Would their brains shrink , or would they become less dense?  Either way they would no longer exactly be giant humans.  I was mostly thinking about blood supply, cooling, and the limited speed of transfer along synapses if our brains were expanded along with that giant body.  A large brain might be slower in reflex responses.  Which might have led me into your field.  Large spinal ganglia in dinosaurs, for quicker response to overcome transmission lag over distance?  Distributive  processing?  Did the sauropods develop cloud computing 150 million years before humans thought of it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Yeah, I was thinking about giant "humans"  built along our design criteria and the problems involved.  Would their brains shrink , or would they become less dense?  Either way they would no longer exactly be giant humans.  I was mostly thinking about blood supply, cooling, and the limited speed of transfer along synapses if our brains were expanded along with that giant body.  A large brain might be slower in reflex responses.  Which might have led me into your field.  Large spinal ganglia in dinosaurs, for quicker response to overcome transmission lag over distance?  Distributive  processing?  Did the sauropods develop cloud computing 150 million years before humans thought of it?

They had lots of fascinating adaptations along with "distributed computing" for certain functions.  For instance, an adaptation that helped them overcome the problem of oxygenation and made them somewhat lighter (and helped with temperature regulation) was large air sacs, particularly along the spine (and you can see these in fossils.)  But that requires a heck of a lot of modification.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

They had lots of fascinating adaptations along with "distributed computing" for certain functions.  For instance, an adaptation that helped them overcome the problem of oxygenation and made them somewhat lighter (and helped with temperature regulation) was large air sacs, particularly along the spine (and you can see these in fossils.)  But that requires a heck of a lot of modification.

That's quite a coincidence. I've always been considered a Mod who's a big air sack.

• Like 5

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 0:24 AM, Kenemet said:

Besides that, every giant I've ever seen on TV was so stupid as to border on idiocy (in the clinical sense.)

Maybe they had pea-sized brains - so the "brain problem" would thereby be solved.

Harte

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Harte said:

Besides that, every giant I've ever seen on TV was so stupid as to border on idiocy (in the clinical sense.)

Maybe they had pea-sized brains - so the "brain problem" would thereby be solved.

Harte

That's some hard **** to lay on Lurch, man.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

Special case - that guy was undead.

Harte

• Like 3

On 2/13/2018 at 6:34 AM, Midyin said:

are you an actual biologists, or is this all conjecture? 

I'm an actual biologist, and it's not possible because of physiology. Spartan is right, look up the Square-Cube Law for a start.

• Like 6

Also, I suggest watching The Princess Bride and watch how difficult it was for Andre the Giant to get around. The larger humans get, the more stress is placed on our bones, ligaments, etc. We were designed by evolution to function as we are- compare us to truly large animals like elephants, giraffes, and the extinct pachyderms, and think about why they look like they do.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2018 at 9:52 AM, DirtyDocMartens said:

Also, I suggest watching The Princess Bride and watch how difficult it was for Andre the Giant to get around. The larger humans get, the more stress is placed on our bones, ligaments, etc. We were designed by evolution to function as we are- compare us to truly large animals like elephants, giraffes, and the extinct pachyderms, and think about why they look like they do.

And the numerous surgeries and eventual death. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

You're talking the Wendigo legends of tall scrawny cannibals. these were once people that were possessed by an evil spirit and turned from a person into an undead-ish monster. Yeah, something like Rabies or Madcow disease is a good fit for that. 

Edited by Still Waters
Promotional link removed

On 5/23/2018 at 1:25 PM, Josip191 said:

You're talking the Wendigo legends of tall scrawny cannibals. these were once people that were possessed by an evil spirit and turned from a person into an undead-ish monster. Yeah, something like Rabies or Madcow disease is a good fit for that. 

Prions. It's our legend to explain prions, which is related to mad cow. Algonquians would kill themselves rather than resort to cannibalism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a museum where they had prehistoric momies of deceased. They were 5.4 tall. I am 6.7 . If I'll show up to a tribe like that small I bet I will be foretold as a giant in a story. That behind said I am different and have a rather strange bone structure that perplexes everyone (slavic origins)

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

While I have never personally seen or examined the remains of alleged giants, there are far too many stories and legends from antiquity for me to dismiss the possibility of their existence off hand. The ancient Hebrews, Mesopotamians,  Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, American Indians and many other cultures from antiquity have what would appear to have been eye witness accounts.

Who is to say that in the ancient past a race of giant humans now extinct could not have existed? It is a well known fact that during prehistoric times animal species, including dragon flies grew much larger. I see no reason to believe why the same could not have been true for humans.

However, I highly doubt there is a sinister conspiracy led by archaeologists to cover up the truth of giants. If any giant remains have been uncovered, and it seems during the 19th century they may have been, they are probably forgotten in the storage area of museum collections. The remains were neglected due to incompetence, not conspiracy. 

• Like 1

We would have found bones by now. 

Whenever people claim to have them, it turns out to be a hoax. 

Science has shown us that just because something is in the bible, it doesn't mean it actually turns out to be true.