Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Commonwealth in secret succession plans

17 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

The Commonwealth has secretly begun considering who might succeed the Queen as its head, the BBC has learned.

The issue is hugely sensitive because the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

The Commonwealth has set up a "high level group" to look at the way the international organisation is governed.

However, senior sources added that the gathering in London would also consider what happens when the Queen, who turns 92 in April, dies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43040240

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
and then

It will be the passing of an era, that's for sure.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

Even though its not automatic that it will pass to next in line, it would be nice for Prince Charles or King Charles Philip Arthur George VII to hold the title in memory of his mother. I'd rather that than some career politician or a succession of Politicians who could in time undermine the role.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

I had no idea that the succession wasn't determined by the sitting monarch.  I thought it was the Queen's choice.  The article was quite enlightening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk

Elizabeth II is only the symbolic Head of the Commonwealth. Patricia Scotland is the current Commonwealth Secretary-General, having taken over from Kamalesh Sharma in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Red Devil

The Commonwealth?  I highly doubt that Tuvalu or Swaziland are going to have much of an influential say.  Neither will Australia, Canada or India for that matter.  The final decision will be made in London and by the British.  Then again, Mugabe's out of a job if they really want to go outside Windsor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
poohbear

The Commonwealth should go the way of the Dodo....We don't send gunboats anymore...it just supplies well paid jobs and meaningless honours to the cliques in the member countries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
10 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

 The final decision will be made in London and by the British. 

Well the article does say the Commonwealth has set up a group to look into the matter. It has nothing to do solely with the British.

The high level group consists of:

  • Chairman Anote Tong: Former president of Kiribati
  • Lord Howell: Former British energy secretary
  • Louise Frechette: Former United Nations deputy secretary general
  • Robert Hill: Former Australian defence minister
  • Dame Billie Miller: Former deputy prime minister of Barbados
  • Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: Former Nigerian minister of finance
  • George Vella: Former deputy prime minister of Malta

Britain isn't the head nation of the Commonwealth. Unlike in the EU, all Commonwealth nations, regardless of population size, are seen as equal to each other The previous Secretary-General, Kamalesh Sharma, is Indian.

In fact, the current Commonwealth Secretary-General, Patricia Scotland, is the first Briton to hold the role - but even she was born in Dominica.

 

Edited by Black Monk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, stevewinn said:

Even though its not automatic that it will pass to next in line, it would be nice for Prince Charles or King Charles Philip Arthur George VII to hold the title in memory of his mother. I'd rather that than some career politician or a succession of Politicians who could in time undermine the role.

Not so fast, in the UK we have had a Court injunction applied in the past to stop the public finding out about Prince Charles getting up to all kind of gay shenanigans with his male staff. From Egypt to Pakistan to the USA there are many countries out there where it is common knowledge https://www.indiatoday.in/fyi/story/prince-charles-gay-globe-report-queen-elizabeth-boy-toy-11780-2016-06-01

It will present a problem for him getting the yes vote from those Commonwealth countries which are still quite religious and conservative in their values. I predict they will skip him and go for William.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
4 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Not so fast, in the UK we have had a Court injunction applied in the past to stop the public finding out about Prince Charles getting up to all kind of gay shenanigans with his male staff. From Egypt to Pakistan to the USA there are many countries out there where it is common knowledge https://www.indiatoday.in/fyi/story/prince-charles-gay-globe-report-queen-elizabeth-boy-toy-11780-2016-06-01

It will present a problem for him getting the yes vote from those Commonwealth countries which are still quite religious and conservative in their values. I predict they will skip him and go for William.

unsubstantiated, and peddled by the gutter press. you should know better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Red Devil
10 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Well the article does say the Commonwealth has set up a group to look into the matter. It has nothing to do solely with the British.

The high level group consists of:

  • Chairman Anote Tong: Former president of Kiribati
  • Lord Howell: Former British energy secretary
  • Louise Frechette: Former United Nations deputy secretary general
  • Robert Hill: Former Australian defence minister
  • Dame Billie Miller: Former deputy prime minister of Barbados
  • Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: Former Nigerian minister of finance
  • George Vella: Former deputy prime minister of Malta

Britain isn't the head nation of the Commonwealth. Unlike in the EU, all Commonwealth nations, regardless of population size, are seen as equal to each other The previous Secretary-General, Kamalesh Sharma, is Indian.

In fact, the current Commonwealth Secretary-General, Patricia Scotland, is the first Briton to hold the role - but even she was born in Dominica.

 

They're all just pawns in an articulated smokescreen.  My bets on the British Monarch, whoever that will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy

Meh, in the the '90s I worked for a company that contracted multi-media to a Commonwealth organization in Vancouver, so I saw their "message".

They were hardly nefarious, mostly facilitated health and education programs between member nations.

Edit: Though, to be honest, in my opinion they spent way too much on the bureaucratic level. That office space should have been better spent. It was way too nice and posh.

Edited by Likely Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
13 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Not so fast, in the UK we have had a Court injunction applied in the past to stop the public finding out about Prince Charles getting up to all kind of gay shenanigans with his male staff. From Egypt to Pakistan to the USA there are many countries out there where it is common knowledge https://www.indiatoday.in/fyi/story/prince-charles-gay-globe-report-queen-elizabeth-boy-toy-11780-2016-06-01

It will present a problem for him getting the yes vote from those Commonwealth countries which are still quite religious and conservative in their values. I predict they will skip him and go for William.

Fake news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
12 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

They're all just pawns in an articulated smokescreen.  My bets on the British Monarch, whoever that will be.

Could be the Australian monarch, for all we know.

Edited by Black Monk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
10 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Could be the Australian monarch, for all we know.

Queen Kylie the First.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Red Devil
12 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Could be the Australian monarch, for all we know.

They're talking about the head of the Commonwealth, not the British monarchy. I thought the British Monarchy went from bloodline to bloodline.  I suppose an Ozzie could marry into it like Mary of Denmark but it appears all major contenders are taken now that Harry has found his match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk
12 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

They're talking about the head of the Commonwealth, not the British monarchy. I thought the British Monarchy went from bloodline to bloodline.  I suppose an Ozzie could marry into it like Mary of Denmark but it appears all major contenders are taken now that Harry has found his match.

I'm talking about the Australian monarchy, not the British one. At some point in the future they might get the Australian King or Queen to be Head of the Commonwealth, or a New Zealand politician or a Ugandan entrepreneur. We don't know.

Edited by Black Monk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.