Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robot Dog learns to open doors

seeder

Boston Dynamics unveils robodog that can open doors

A leading robotics company has revealed footage of a canine-inspired robot that can open doors that is certain to draw parallels to man's worst nightmare, rather than his best friend.

Boston Dynamics on Monday revealed footage of its SpotMini robot, which has four legs, a trunk and long reaching claw for a head.

In the clip the yellow robot can be seen walking up to a lab door, turning the door handle with its front-facing claw and allowing a fellow robot to leave the room.

The US-based robotics company, formerly owned by Google and now Japan's Softbank, posted the clip on YouTube but gave little else away.

However, it was quickly picked up on social media, with thousands sharing the "terrifying" clip overnight. It is a progression from the first version of SpotMini, which was seen in a clip on YouTube assisting with basic household chores and climbing stairs in 2017.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/02/13/boston-dynamics-unveils-robodog-can-open-doors/

• Like 2

Meh... technology may be more efficient, but it lacks the style of this furry fella...

• Like 2

Well...we should keep any eye out for any John Connor's born in the next few years. That name will mean something very soon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Meh... technology may be more efficient, but it lacks the style of this furry fella...

Give it a bit more time....then they may dress it in fur and give it a head/mouth...

1 minute ago, seeder said:

Give it a bit more time....then they may dress it in fur and give it a head/mouth...

If they can develop one that looks at me so meaningfully that I feel guilty eating my bacon butty without sharing... then I'll be concerned! :lol:

• Like 2

this clip shows a bit of the robo dog....but do watch what comes after...a robot can jump onto a buildings roof...and jump off too

• Like 2

Can it open a regular door knob like the dog or only the new "handicapped" version?  Just asking.  If not, the dog is still ahead.

• Like 1

Surely it hasn't learned to open the door but has been programmed to do so?

• Like 1

If the "dog" is ever given an A-I I guess we'll eventually find out programmed or learned.  The real dog is still ahead.  I wouldn't want one of those bots on my lap wanted to cuddle and be rubbed. My daughter's Husky thinks he's a lap dog and he's heavy enough.

4 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Can it open a regular door knob like the dog or only the new "handicapped" version?  Just asking.  If not, the dog is still ahead.

In time it will do more than any dog I expect.... this thing isnt being developed as a toy

Damn Synths.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LV-426 said:

took a while to open that door eh?  The robot did it first go

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Surely it hasn't learned to open the door but has been programmed to do so?

These robots aren't really thinking robots as in they don't contemplate the meaning of why they do something and learn from it. They do learn, in that when they find a method they will repeat it. Most of the actions like recovering on ice are using input from sensors in the legs and body of the beast to tell it which legs are slipping and tip sensors which record inertia in a direction. It also has gyros to help it balance and a host of microprocessors to interpret the data and make corrections. It doesn't have to think omg I am going to fall because it doesn't fear falling like we would, but rather knows that falling is undesirable for efficiency.

So it is programmed to respond, but in many ways so are we. Robots and humans just follow a different priority list. Ours is self preservation and the robot only wants to complete its task. It doesn't get sad if it cant complete it but its protocol is to complete the task following the best path it can find and so it desires to do that and will continue trying until it does, or its called off, or it runs out of juice.

The package moving bots would read rfid chips on the boxes and immediately know from the stored data exactly where the package needs to be taken. It doesn't care about the package so much as it cares about completing the task. It doesn't have to remember where that shelf is because there is an rfid chip there too.

It wasn't so very long ago that walking across a flat level floor was a hard task for robots and stairs were almost impossible. These bots are amazing and useful. They can carry supplies across rugged hazardous terrain and harsh climates while needing no rest or sustenance. They will save lives. Finding disaster victims by heat signature. Carrying supplies for fire crews or to quarantined people. Surveying remote or hazardous locations. Evacuating casualties from remote locations. Perhaps someday building structures on the moon or Mars for humans to use before they arrive. Lots of non lethal positive uses.

These aren't dogs any more than humanoid robots are human. But I bet they will make quite a sled team soon. :)  

• Like 3

@ BorizBadinov: Thank you for that ^ ^ , it was very interesting and informative. :tsu:

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not sure what the angle is with this telegraph article. It uses pretty bizarre language, such as "certain to draw parallels to man's worst nightmare" and "thousands sharing the "terrifying" clip."

It's just technology with a mutitude of beneficial applications at this stage. Sure, AI is something that may require moral and ethical scrutiny if it ever gets anywhere close to actual intelligence, but in its current form it's simply an advanced tool.

Take the technology we already have, such as the Mars Rover - I'm sure there's a dog-related pun in there somewhere :lol: - and add this kind of robotic agility, and the potential is incredible. It's not something to be feared.

I'm pretty sure dogs aren't in danger of being replaced yet either. As any dog-lover will tell you, they're value isn't in their utility. Even working dogs are generally much-loved members of the family.

• Like 2

Terminator meets Jurassic Park. It's slightly terrifying.

Nice but it is too big hence it's easy :D My dog did it when he was 8 or 9 months old... He even had to jump for it hehe