Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Spirit of Truth

Will Due

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

No, that's a human construct. It can't be answered any more than it can answer why one might have blue as a favourite colour.

I like green and beige. Green is soothing and neutral, beige is warm and not too agressive. I can give answers why i like that colors, at least to some degree.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Material is just a buzz word. 

Physicalism (also known as Materialistic Monism - see the sections on Materialism and Monism) is the philosophical position that everything which exists is no more extensive than its physical properties, and that the only existing substance is physical. Therefore, it argues, the mind is a purely physical construct, and will eventually be explained entirely by physical theory, as it continues to evolve. With the huge strides in science in the 20th Century (especially in atomic theory, evolution, neuroscience and computer technology), Physicalism of various types (see below) has become the dominant doctrine in the Mind/Body argument (see the section on Philosophy of Mind).

The Basics of Philosophy

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

I like green and beige. Green is soothing and neutral, beige is warm and not too agressive. I can give answers why i like that colors, at least to some degree.

Exactly, and you are an individual and the sum of your experiences. 

I like green and blue but yellow white or black on cars. Dunno why, I just do. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Physicalism (also known as Materialistic Monism - see the sections on Materialism and Monism) is the philosophical position that everything which exists is no more extensive than its physical properties, and that the only existing substance is physical. Therefore, it argues, the mind is a purely physical construct, and will eventually be explained entirely by physical theory, as it continues to evolve. With the huge strides in science in the 20th Century (especially in atomic theory, evolution, neuroscience and computer technology), Physicalism of various types (see below) has become the dominant doctrine in the Mind/Body argument (see the section on Philosophy of Mind).

The Basics of Philosophy

Did you follow the link to materialism in your own post? It says this. 

Materalism holds that the only thing that can be truly proven to exist is matter. Thus, according to Materialism, all things are composed of material and all phenomena are the result of material interactions, with no accounting of spirit or consciousness. 

Your mantra yes? 

Buzz word. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Exactly, and you are an individual and the sum of your experiences. 

I like green and blue but yellow white or black on cars. Dunno why, I just do. 

For example i also like golden on black. There is a theory that yellow and black make the strongest contrast though that sounds odd because yellow can be of various shades. Logical is that white and black is strongest contrast.. but nvm.. this is not a thread about colors :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

For example i also like golden on black. There is a theory that yellow and black make the strongest contrast though that sounds odd because yellow can be of various shades. Logical is that white and black is strongest contrast.. but nvm.. this is not a thread about colors :)

It does explore the why in practical sense though, do you get it now? 

A choice is as individual as the individual who makes it. 

Facts are not. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Facts are not. 

Facts are subject of interpretation.. that can be tricky... :)

Edited by Illyrius
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Material is just a buzz word. 

There are two words that are used as 'sly insults' around here. 

Materialism

Scientism

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There are two words that are used as 'sly insults' around here. 

Materialism

Scientism

I know of others:

Ignorance

Yodaspeak

Doggerel

etc..

I prefer "Doggerel" - it has a cute sound to it.

Edited by Illyrius
  • Like 4

Good ol' George didn't invent 'Yodaspeak' ... spoken Yodaism was mostly plagiarized in one form or another from very very old and ancient sources ...

~

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Dawkins, the Angel of Reason

Amitiel, the Angel of Truth

When Amitiel starts showing her work on how she arrived at her conclusions like Dawkins does, I might start giving her more credit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Will Due said:

Michael, the archangel who defeats the dragon.

170px-Michael4.jpg

Which one is Michael and which one is Satan?

2 Corinthians 11:14

But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

Which one is Michael and which one is Satan?

Here's the answer:

Spoiler

Ask the Spirit of Truth. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Here's the answer:

Hide contents

Ask the Spirit of Truth. 

Owww... i thought i would just pop in out of interest to  see your answer. And as usual, you do not have anything.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Owww... i thought i would just pop in out of interest to  see your answer. And as usual, you do not have anything.

:rolleyes:

Did you wonder why you peeked in at just the right moment?

Spoiler

The Spirit of Truth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

When Amitiel starts showing her work on how she arrived at her conclusions like Dawkins does, I might start giving her more credit.

Conclusions based on speculation versus a speculation based on conclusions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Did you wonder why you peeked in at just the right moment?

Hide contents

The Spirit of Truth.

Oh ffs. :lol:

You do make me chuckle, but thats not the spirit of truth, its just you. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Conclusions based on speculation versus a speculation based on conclusions?

Not sure which side of the versus goes with which.  Did Amitiel indicate what she based her 'truths' on?  Seems like most angels are big on declaration and light on explanation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Not sure which side of the versus goes with which.  Did Amitiel indicate what she based her 'truths' on?  Seems like most angels are big on declaration and light on explanation.

Human beings, using rationalistic arguments, can convince themselves and others of pretty much anything, be it Constantine's Bible or Hitler's Mein Kampf.  "Truth" such as it is, is derived from such rationalizations.

• Like 1

With believers, the understanding of truth is not a matter of it being rational.

It's a matter of the Spirit of Truth indicating what's really true beyond it being rational, to the higher awareness of it being a conviction of what's true, beyond the understanding of the material world alone.

This is why when the Spirit of Truth is encountered, one way or the other, you end up being convicted.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Will Due said:

With believers, the understanding of truth is not a matter of it being rational.

It's a matter of the Spirit of Truth indicating what's really true beyond it being rational, to the higher awareness of it being a conviction of what's true, beyond the understanding of the material world alone.

This is why when the Spirit of Truth is encountered, one way or the other, you end up being convicted.

Which believers? The believers in your Spirit of Truth or the believers in God/a god? They’re not necessarily the same thing. In other words you’re promoting a matter of opinion, thanks for clarifying that.

cormac

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Which believers?

ALL believers. 

All believers in God.

Spoiler

Did you ask which God?

Spoiler

There is only ONE Gods.

Spoiler

Did you ask how do I know this?

Spoiler

Because of the spirit of conviction.

Spoiler

The Spirit of Truth. 

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Will Due said:

ALL believers. 

All believers in God.

Reveal hidden contents

Did you ask which God?

Hide contents

There is only ONE Gods.

Hide contents

Did you ask how do I know this?

Hide contents

Because of the spirit of conviction.

Hide contents

The Spirit of Truth. 

Uh no, I don’t believe in your mythology nor does it or you speak for me, nor many others I know. Keep your myths to yourself.

cormac

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Uh no, I don’t believe in your mythology nor does it or you speak for me, nor many others I know. Keep your myths to yourself.

cormac

methinks the wee devil is trying to sell us a Father for Heaven delivered in a plastic bag ...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Illyrius said:

Facts are subject of interpretation.. that can be tricky... :)

Predictability and repeatability upon demand are as convincing as one could ask for. 

• Like 2