Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NFL 2018

BrooklynGuy

The NFL needs to allow challenges and replays on pass interference, late hit and helmet to helmet hits.  

• Like 5

Angry New Orleans Saints fans file lawsuits, put up billboards in Atlanta :huh:

New Orleans Saints fans are having their say. After a stunning missed call by officials helped to keep the Saints out of the Super Bowl, angry fans have been reacting in various ways -- from lawsuits and petitions to billboards in Atlanta and boycotts throughout the New Orleans area. At least two lawsuits have been filed by local attorneys on behalf of Saints fans who want to compel NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to use his power under the NFL rulebook to replay the final 1:49 of regulation of New Orleans' overtime loss to the Los Angeles Rams in Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

Read more: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25824920/angry-new-orleans-saints-fans-file-lawsuits-put-billboards

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Myles said:

The NFL needs to allow challenges and replays on pass interference, late hit and helmet to helmet hits.  

I'm all for this if it's to confirm a penalty when a flag is thrown. Allowing this to happen because a coach thinks a flag should have been thrown would be a terrible move imo.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I'm all for this if it's to confirm a penalty when a flag is thrown. Allowing this to happen because a coach thinks a flag should have been thrown would be a terrible move imo.

I disagree as long as it counts as one of his challenges.   That would keep them to a minimum.  

2 Saints plays would have qualified.   Obviously the no call PI and helmet to helmet hit.     But the other that the refs claimed no PI because the ball was tipped, when clearly it was not tipped.  

• Like 5

This is a real shame, and I do NOT support some rematch nor do I want to see them do something inane like send the Saints to the SB now. What is done is done and while I am not convinced there is some conspiracy by the NFL to decide who goes to the SB for the biggest ratings, I also have to say the refs left themselves wide open to every bit of criticism coming their way. Two were right there, they HEARD the helmets smacking, they had Payton yelling about it and the guilty player admitting it and waiting for a flag. They. Did. Nothing. 

I do hope we get options in the next season, perhaps like challenges now, perhaps one each side, maybe one each half, to challenge calls, made or missed. We have the tech now to film the whole game. Refs can be human and miss seeing something. But, when they see and do not act you have the right to doubt they are unbiassed. 

Suspicion is normal. But, crapping on the Rams now is unfair. Blame the refs. Even blame the NFL. But, I don't blame the Rams.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

This is a real shame, and I do NOT support some rematch nor do I want to see them do something inane like send the Saints to the SB now. What is done is done and while I am not convinced there is some conspiracy by the NFL to decide who goes to the SB for the biggest ratings, I also have to say the refs left themselves wide open to every bit of criticism coming their way. Two were right there, they HEARD the helmets smacking, they had Payton yelling about it and the guilty player admitting it and waiting for a flag. They. Did. Nothing. 

I do hope we get options in the next season, perhaps like challenges now, perhaps one each side, maybe one each half, to challenge calls, made or missed. We have the tech now to film the whole game. Refs can be human and miss seeing something. But, when they see and do not act you have the right to doubt they are unbiassed. 

Suspicion is normal. But, crapping on the Rams now is unfair. Blame the refs. Even blame the NFL. But, I don't blame the Rams.

Well said. 

I wish the refs would come out and say they want replay on calls.     It sure would save them from having to be held accountable for very bad missed calls. 

• Like 4

On 1/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, Not A Rockstar said:

Challenges on penalties that weren't called would slow the game down too much. Even if they're limited to the same number of challenges they have now cause now you're asking coaches and booth personnel to make a decision on whether a rule is being followed correctly. Also, if challenges are allowed you're going to have more flags come out on close calls with the idea being that if it's close it can be challenged and overturned upon replay. And what do you do within 2 minutes of the half? With the amount of potential penalties that take place on every play are we really going to want them to take a look at EVERY play after the 2 minute warning to make sure no penalties were missed? Or for them to confirm that they actually did happen? It will lead to more controversy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

Challenges on penalties that weren't called would slow the game down too much. Even if they're limited to the same number of challenges they have now cause now you're asking coaches and booth personnel to make a decision on whether a rule is being followed correctly. Also, if challenges are allowed you're going to have more flags come out on close calls with the idea being that if it's close it can be challenged and overturned upon replay. And what do you do within 2 minutes of the half? With the amount of potential penalties that take place on every play are we really going to want them to take a look at EVERY play after the 2 minute warning to make sure no penalties were missed? Or for them to confirm that they actually did happen? It will lead to more controversy.

One extra challenge flag exclusively per half JUST for penalties won't change the game that much...when shots at a SB or Natty's are on the line,fans don't/won't mind another 5-10 minutes added per game...i promise ya!

Even casual fans get sickened by calls like the missed PI in the Saints vs Rams games,or the phantom PI call that robbed '02 Miami from a Natty!

That's a whole year of players hard work and fan loyalty and MONEY down the drain for another 5-10 minutes a game...yeah win or lose i'll accept what ACTUALLY happened... ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

IDK I think it would be easy enough to limit any potential challenges to plays that directly affected the ball carrier or the intended receiver.

Honestly the league would be better off if they went back to not throwing a flag unless it directly affected the play's ability to succeed anyways.

• Like 3

Saw a rumor that the Browns and Cardinals will be one of the Monday Night openers........and guess who's gonna be there  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate that the league releases the opponents for the next season in December but doesnt release the actual schedule until April.

• Like 5

Well we are 5 days away from the big game. I'll be rooting for the Rams but you can never count out B and B. I think for the Rams to win they have to run the ball effectively and early. Should be a good game. 

• Like 4

On 1/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, Farmer77 said:

Saw a rumor that the Browns and Cardinals will be one of the Monday Night openers........and guess who's gonna be there  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't say...the Browns will get embarrassed like few teams in history that day!!!...

You will throw a fit,and declare and mean it that you won't watch another damn game next season...then the Browns will go on a historic run to the playoffs,you'll turn on the game,and they'll lose again lol

Been there before :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Eagles works though I had faint hopes the Dolphins would look at him.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Eagles works though I had faint hopes the Dolphins would look at him.

I don't think they'll keep him. This will just change the options. I still hope the Dolphins take him.

• Like 2

Congratulations Saquon! I'm not at all surprised by this though!

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/Saquon-Barkley-wins-AP-2018-Rookie-of-the-Year-at-NFL-honors-128603610/?fbclid=IwAR3LVJ1pY_Vbi8YUvkwxLrFtOPSHnU-C2ViVrRt4A7OgBIwT0CYZuevTOXc

And congratulations to Chris Long!

Image may contain: one or more people and beard

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

oo Mayfield got overlooked again. Wonder if he realizes yet that there is more to life than a good arm and big mouth. 

We have a lot of interesting players to enjoy watching in coming years, including him.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2019 at 1:30 AM, Not A Rockstar said:

oo Mayfield got overlooked again. Wonder if he realizes yet that there is more to life than a good arm and big mouth. 

We have a lot of interesting players to enjoy watching in coming years, including him.

As a Browns fan this was best case scenario. Just keep piling those chips on his shoulder!

• Like 2