Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Texas sinkhole reveals 200-foot long cave

9 posts in this topic

Still Waters

A large sinkhole that opened up in a Texas neighborhood has revealed a massive 200-foot underground cave.

Last Thursday, a 20-foot sinkhole emerged on Cambria Drive around 3am. Residents said they heard what they believed was thunder amid the collapse before they even learned of the sinkhole. 

Williamson County officials worked over the weekend with environmental consultants to explore the caves, which led to the discovery of three chambers. 

By Sunday, officials announced that a fourth chamber in the cave had been discovered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5387675/Sinkhole-Texas-reveals-massive-underground-cave.html

https://patch.com/texas/round-rock/williamson-county-give-more-details-cambria-drive-sinkhole

https://patch.com/texas/round-rock/4th-chamber-found-williamson-county-cave

• Like 8

DebDandelion

Look I am all for discovery, but I can't help to wonder the impact we are going to have on that habitat that was hidden from us in that cave...

joc
1 hour ago, DebDandelion said:

Look I am all for discovery, but I can't help to wonder the impact we are going to have on that habitat that was hidden from us in that cave...

Pretty much the same old death and destruction that we all live to read and hear about on the TV News Channels....I reckon....

• Like 2

DebDandelion
1 hour ago, joc said:

Pretty much the same old death and destruction that we all live to read and hear about on the TV News Channels....I reckon....

One can hope for better...

Hammerclaw

Karst formations are riddled with such cavities and if you live atop one, as we do here, in East Tennessee, there could be a cave under your very feet. 

• Like 3

Michelle
19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Karst formations are riddled with such cavities and if you live atop one, as we do here, in East Tennessee, there could be a cave under your very feet. 

All we would have to do is dig into the mountain on our property. An entrance to a huge cave is a few houses down from us. The Boy Scouts tried to map it out and didn't find an end after seven hours. Very few people know it's there because the entrance is literally a small hole in the ground behind a boulder in a neighbor's back yard. It is rumored, during the Civil War, Confederate soldiers kept Yankee prisoners there. Among the boulders in our watershed you can feel cold air coming out of the groundhog holes. :P

With enough light I maybe could get up the nerve to explore it a little ways in. Not too far though. I hate claustrophobia with such a treasure so close.

• Like 2

Piney
3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The karsts here are just basins. They are filled with water and covered by "quaking" bogs. If you fall through the sphagnum moss your in 8 to 10ft. of water.

• Like 1

Hammerclaw
1 hour ago, Piney said:

The karsts here are just basins. They are filled with water and covered by "quaking" bogs. If you fall through the sphagnum moss your in 8 to 10ft. of water.

Karst topography is a landscape formed from the dissolution of soluble rocks such as limestone, dolomite, and gypsum. It is characterized by underground drainage systems with sinkholes and caves.

joc
9 hours ago, DebDandelion said:

One can hope for better...

Prediction:

An alligator farm will appear.   Signs that say Visit the Ancient Caves of 'Where Eversville' will appear on the nearest Highway....Tickets to go inside the cave.

Typically an Entrepreneur will take over the entire cave action.

• Like 1