Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you understand these technologies?

whoa182

Are you aware of the promise and dangers of  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of the promise and dangers of

• Yes
    • No

Do you Understand biotechnology and Nanotechnology and their potentials and dangers?

I feel that there has been a really big lack of information given to the general public on these technology, they are fast approaching and will radicly change our world and change could happen within weeks of advanced nanotechnology

Also do you understand the threats of biotechnology, It promises to cure disease and stop aging. But it could also mean the end of humanity or millions of deaths throughgeneticly engineered viruses that we have no weapon to fight against.

Please VOTE and if you wish to ask any questions or need sources to back up my claims i'll provide more info and sources.

Full-blown molecular manufacturing is right around the corner. Sometime between 2005 and 2020, new manufacturing technologies will be created with practical effects exceeding those of ten Industrial Revolutions. Products manufactured by molecular machinery, from the atoms up, each piece put into its precise place.

Some minor points about nanotechnology:

- Going from a basic assembler to a nanofactory of practically arbitrary size is easy.

- Nanotech products will be diamond. A single desktop nanofactory can create enough diamond to crash the gem market within hours.

- Every present-day industry will be displaced by nanotechnological equivalents. This will happen over years or months, not decades.

- Non-nanotech companies will not be able to compete economically with nanotech companies.

- Non-nanotech powers will not be able to compete militarily with nanotech powers.

- Nanotech products will cost as much as their raw materials.

- Design of new products will be CAD-aided and easy for anyone.

- Massive life extension will quickly become feasible.

- Many huge developments could literally happen overnight.

if you want to study this go to http://www.crnano.org/studies.htm

Edited by whoa182

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• htrn3000

• Adramaleck

• et's daddy

Gray goo is a real threat. It is when the nanobots go overboard in replicating themselves and in the process convert all available matter to copies of themselves. Good for the bots, but less when your the one being converted. Grey goo is the stage where this is done to such a level, when the whole planet is converted.

But then again ..... 2YK was also sure to be a crippling disaster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4181197.stm

New development today!!!

'Living' robots powered by muscle

The robot is a dramatic example of the marriage of biotechnology with nanotechnology

The work is a dramatic example of the marriage of biotechnology with the tiny world of nanotechnology.

Under a microscope, you can see the tiny, two-footed "bio-bots" crawl around

They're absolutely alive," Professor Montemagno told BBC News. "I mean the cells actually grow, multiply and assemble - they form the structure themselves. So the device is alive."

The notion is likely to disturb many who already have concerns about nanotechnology.

You can read all of it from that link

Also nanotech will make life a bit easier, You will never have to clean you're windows ever again.... oops there goes the window cleaners job.

Self cleaning carpets... again putting more people out of work.

No need to iron clothes anymore with the use of nanotechnology.

Also you're clothes wont be able to get stained or water spilt on them. it will just roll off.

There are some near term simple things lol.

mabey you can give us some ideas on what other uses there are for nanotech and how it will affect businesses mabey//?

Edited by whoa182

I'll be honest and say I don't know anything about either really. It isn't something I have researched so your research and input is appreciated. thumbsup.gif

I hope nanobots will remain under strictly control environment and not to be available for civilians use for many years. It is as bad as a deadly virus in the wrong hands.

The military is gonna have alot of fun with nano over the next few years...all sorts of Military Assault bots , drones,major weapon enhancements

Nano tech is said to be 1000 times stronger then steel.....Lets just hope that we dont do anything stupid and start arming these bots with weapons and AI that will lead to self awareness....nobody wants to be killed by a rogue machine...especially if you see 100 AWOL military bots coming down the streets off loading there rounds

of cause thats just if they mass produced bots with ai...and who knows..theyd probably have fail safes on them to prevent that sort of thing from happening

Well the future will be full of many amazing things and sadly many deadly thing. These technologies can be used for great good but also unspeakbale bad and I guess that teher will be people out there willing to do the latter!

Yea its all very interesting stuff for sure, thanks for posting whoa182..

I find the 'x100 'O' blood' very interesting indeed... and maybe it could put scooba diving business out of work? tongue.gif

Great stuff though... the living nanobots are a reality, which really shows how easy it may have been for a civilization that are advanced by thousands of years to have simply created us... just a thought

Small science to be big in 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4187813.stm

"Nanotechnology" will be a much more familiar word to everyone in 2005, not just scientists, say analysts.

Nanotechnologies involve the manipulation of structures at the molecular scale and can change the behaviour of materials.

It has been slowly moving into sun creams, drug delivery and computer disk drives to improve storage.

But it will soon be the cornerstone of every manufacturing industry says a Deloitte research trends report.

The Deloitte research Predictions 2005 report points to key developments to keep an eye on in the coming year.

"We find that nanotechnology is extremely poorly understood in general," David Tansley, Deloitte telcoms and technology partner, told the BBC News website.

"As soon as you mention it, people conjure up images of small robots carrying out surgery or things that are not desirable.

These are just a few examples

user posted image

1 - Organic Light Emitting Diodes (OLEDs) for displays

2 - Photovoltaic film that converts light into electricity

3 - Scratch-proof coated windows that clean themselves with UV

4 - Fabrics coated to resist stains and control temperature

5 - Intelligent clothing measures pulse and respiration

6 - Bucky-tubeframe is light but very strong

7 - Hip-joint made from biocompatible materials

8 - Nano-particle paint to prevent corrosion

9 - Thermo-chromic glass to regulate light

10 - Magnetic layers for compact data memory

11 - Carbon nanotube fuel cells to power electronics and vehicles

12 - Nano-engineered cochlear implant

You can read the FULL article here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4187813.stm

Edited by whoa182

MY friends brother developed a way to construct Nano Bots using MAgnets. His research and development are noe being funded by Queens University (at least i think its Queens).

~Thanato

http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/2005/01/...e_eve_of_t.html

On the Eve of the Nano Era

Information technology, cognitive science, biotechnology, environmental science, aerospace technology -- all will have significant impacts on society over the next two decades. Each will provide bridges to progress, and some will raise concerns about safety.

But the most difficult challenges likely will result from exponential general-purpose molecular manufacturing, made possible by advanced nanotechnology. This could have far-ranging environmental, economic, military, ethical, legal, and social implications.

Nanotechnology is expected to have great impacts on many fields, including mining, refining, manufacturing, transportation, storage, and wholesale and retail distribution. It could mean millions of jobs lost, or shifted. It could represent a radical transformation of traditional power structures, which may not come about easily, or peacefully. It could also mean opportunities like we’ve never had before to relieve poverty, prevent illness, and offer education to millions of people in developing nations.

In what areas will nanotechnology have the greatest impact? What nations or corporations are working to develop it? How soon should all these impacts be expected? What policy choices can be made today that may change the anticipated outcomes?

Unfortunately, we do not have conclusive answers to all these questions. Much more research is needed. Over the next few days, we’ll provide a current overview of the issues, the facts, and our future prospects as we approach the era of nanotechnology.

Heres 1 of the early applications of nanotechnology

http://www.foresight.org/Nanomedicine/Gall...spirocytes.html

The respirocyte is a bloodborne 1-micron-diameter spherical nanomedical device designed by Robert A. Freitas Jr.. The device acts as an artificial mechanical red blood cell It is designed as a diamondoid 1000-atmosphere pressure vessel with active pumping powered by endogenous serum glucose, and can deliver 236 times more oxygen to the tissues per unit volume than natural red cells while simultaneously managing carbonic acidity.

An individual respirocyte consists of 18 billion precisely arranged structural atoms plus 9 billion temporarily resident molecules when fully loaded. An onboard nanocomputer and numerous chemical and pressure sensors allow the device to exhibit behaviors of modest complexity, remotely reprogrammable by the physician via externally applied acoustic signals

if you were to replace 10% of you're blood with these, You would be able to hold you're breath for around 4 hours

Edited by whoa182

Ahh... no more soldiers saying "We're running out of ammo!"

I think with every great technology, there are benefits as well as some risks. in this case, I think the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. People have been afraid of new technologies in the past, but overall people are much better off materially and are likely to live longer. Technology is the only thing that may also save humanity from its inevitable demise. Sooner or later something will kill us off naturally, whether it be a supervolcano, asteroid, disease, etc. These technologies have the potential to be able to control these things to such a degree that these things will no longer imperil us. There is a small chance that technology will kill us eventually, but there is 100% that nature will kill us eventually in the absence of advanced technology.

Found a good PDF thing here

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?...es/art0588.html

its only 4mb

The Ray Kurzweil Reader

by Ray Kurzweil

The Ray Kurzweil Reader is a collection of essays by Ray Kurzweil on virtual reality, artificial intelligence, radical life extension, conscious machines, the promise and peril of technology, and other aspects of our future world. These essays, all published on KurzweilAI.net from 2001 to 2003, are now available as a PDF document for convenient downloading and offline reading. The 30 essays, organized in seven memes (such as "How to Build a Brain"), cover subjects ranging from a review of Matrix Reloaded to "The Coming Merging of Mind and Machine" and "Human Body Version 2.0."

Edited by whoa182

But when biological cells become attached to silicon - are they alive?

"They're absolutely alive," Professor Montemagno told BBC News. "I mean the cells actually grow, multiply and assemble - they form the structure themselves. So the device is alive."

The notion is likely to disturb many who already have concerns about nanotechnology.

Does this imply that at some point in time, the Androids of Sci-Fi fame could actually become reality? Is that a possiblility? I think it is. Can you imagine then the world with Androids fighting our wars, keeping the peace in the streets, doing the dangerous or mundane work that humans do today? Factory Androids on assembly lines?

Android pets? How about Android leaders? An Android Anti-Christ? hmm.gif

Emerging Technologies Form Futuristic Uniform

Lopez, an infantry Soldier stationed at the Natick Soldier Center in Massachusetts, spent four days in what could be the Army uniform of the future at the 24th Army Science Conference, explaining the technology behind it.

The black fabric of the form-fitting suit would be made through the wonder of nanotechnology, which involves manipulating atoms and molecules to create things at the nanometer scale. That's about 50,000 times smaller than the diameter of a strand of hair. Soldiers wearing the suit would have the ability to blend into any environment, like a chameleon.

The helmet is the main hub of the uniform, where "all of the action happens," Lopez said. A tiny video camera in front provides 360-degree situational awareness. A series of sensors inside give the Soldier three-dimensional audiological hearing and the ability to amplify specific sounds, while lowering the volume of others

Virtual reality technology would also play a part in helping the Soldier navigate an environment by projecting maps on the ground surrounding him or her.

Sensors detect threat, provide treatment

Thermal sensors weaved into the fabric of the uniform control its temperature, based on the Soldier's environment. An on-board respirator, tethered to the Soldier's back, provides a continuous supply of fresh air – eliminating the need for a protective mask. Should the Soldier have the visor up, or the helmet off, and breath in some kind of harmful agent, the uniform sensor will immediately detect it, release tiny embedded capsules to counter it and inject treatment into the Soldier's body.

oh and its completely bullet proof

you can read all on the site,

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1331...tml?ESRC=dod.nl

Edited by whoa182

The Borg seems to come closer than ever now. blink.gif I wouldn't think I'd be interested in Star Trek but the only thing that I liked were the wars between species, the rest was just drama. grin2.gif I feel like a nerd. laugh.gif

Anyway, that is amazing how they constructed these "bio-bots". If scientists work further into this, they can construct "bio-botical" prosthesis'.

Most of the people I know have no idea how their toaster works or why you cant put metal in a micro- wave. And yet I see by the poll that 60% of you know how nanotech works.

OK, but can you change a cars tires. no.gif