Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant snow crystal formations

Leiael79

I found this place searching google earth. I'm from Norway and have never seen or heard about this strange phenomenon. Beautiful it is for sure <3   Largest formation about 53m in diameter

TUNSBERGDALSVATNET KRYSTALLER.JPG

• Like 1

On Google Earth, enter 61°28'44.69"N , 7°10'34.78"E  as your destination.

They look dendritic to me, not crystalline, as they aren't really showing 6-sided symmetry.

43 minutes ago, Leiael79 said:

I found this place searching google earth. I'm from Norway and have never seen or heard about this strange phenomenon. Beautiful it is for sure <3   Largest formation about 53m in diameter

It's very pretty indeed. But I can't help but wonder if this image is truly genuine. After all, people can use Photoshop and other image-editing software that is capable of image manipulation.     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Astra. said:

It's very pretty indeed. But I can't help but wonder if this image is truly genuine. After all, people can use Photoshop and other image-editing software that is capable of image manipulation.     

Yes, I understand. I am actually a digital artist and make art out of satellite images. I use photoshop a lot. This image was not manipulated by me for sure. unless any of the companies selling these satellite images to Google earth has done something to alter the image.

Edited by Leiael79

Researching images on google earth I stumbled upon these beautiful snow crystal formation on a lake in Norway. The biggest "crystal" is over 53 meters in diameter. I just wonder if anyone could tell me what in nature could create these amazing patterns and why can we only see them on this lake? I cant see anything like it in the area. I even sent this image with the coordinates to the Norwegian Institute of weather and atmosphere, but with no luck. any ideas?  Hopefully people have google earth and can go in and confirm what i see. Search for "TUNSBERGSDALSVATNET" and you cant miss it :)

• Like 1

It looks like warm water rising up. Not really crystals but interesting patterns 

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

It looks like warm water rising up. Not really crystals but interesting patterns 

I am not sure about the warm water. if it is natural gas or something like that, it normally would create another type of pattern ( more circular and solid). It got to be a very "local" thing. I cant find it anywhere else. I am from Norway and have never heard of anything like this :) Art by nature ;) 

• Like 1

Methane maybe?

Nature makes no bad art and I had hundreds of pictures I took while outriding and harvesting evil trees in public forests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leiael79 said:

I am actually a digital artist and make art out of satellite images. I use photoshop a lot.

Really ?.. that sounds interesting. So what exactly does your digital art work entail by using these satellite images ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Astra. said:

Really ?.. that sounds interesting. So what exactly does your digital art work entail by using these satellite images ? 

Like this one from the Atacama desert I made. when technology meets nature you can see pretty awesome things happening. You just got to look for them. i love using google earth in combination with my work :) I work with digital art and as an aparell designer for international brands.

atacama-desert-painted.png

• Like 2