Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Netanyahu in deep waters

Only_

Israel Police Recommend Charging Prime Minister Netanyahu With Bribery in Two Cases

The Israeli police announced on Tuesday that there was sufficient evidence indicating Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took bribes in two separate cases and acted "against public interests."

The two cases are the so-called Case 1000 – in which Netanyahu is suspected of accepting lavish gifts from wealthy benefactors in return for advancing their interests – and Case 2000, which alleges that Netanyahu tried to strike a deal that would have provided him with positive coverage in Israel's second largest newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth, in exchange for hurting its free rival, Israel Hayom.''

Source - Haaretz

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

What an amazing story !!

One thing puzzles me.... Haaretz makes continuous reference to "The Police".... the Police said this... the Police said that... etcetera. Indeed, it was the Police who - seemingly - held some sort of press conference, and announced their opinion that Benjy should be indicted.

Firstly, is this normal behavior for "The Police" ? To discuss a case with the media, rather than simply forwarding it to the Attorney General ?

Secondly, who - exactly - are "The Police" in this article ? Normally newspaper articles will state where and when the comment was made, and who the Police Press Spokesman was. They would also normally say WHICH police ? (e.g., constable Schloemo at the Hebron station, Lahav 433, the Chief Commissionaire,  etcetera).

Regardless of the merits of the case, there is something distinctly odd about the Haaretz report.

• Like 1

Think, WaPo or NYT reporting on Trump.  Haaretz is the Left's go to in Israel.  I seem to recall that the police officials can only recommend charges.  I don't know if the guy's is dirty or not but I wish our legal system was more adversarial against government officials and even former presidents as their's seems to be.  NO ONE should be above the law.

Edited by and then
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, and then said:

Think, WaPo or NYT reporting on Trump.  Haaretz is the Left's go to in Israel.  I seem to recall that the police officials can only recommend charges.  I don't know if the guy's is dirty or not but I wish our legal system was more adversarial against government officials and even former presidents as their's seems to be.  NO ONE should be above the law.

I agree entirely And Then. But, by the same token, are "The Police" supposed to "recommend charges" to the Press ? I thought they used... like... courts and judges n' things ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

For those who complaint of Haaretz

Here are other varied sources reporting on the exact same story:

BBC

Jerusalem Post

TIME

Toronto Star

My characterization of Haaretz was accurate but I did not question the validity of the facts they cited.  While I wish for more accountability in U.S. governance, I think Israel takes it a bit too far in this regard.  The opposition, through their media connections, can whip up an investigation, often on scant evidence, and drag a PM or other official through months or years of litigation or threats of same while they are trying to do the work they were elected to do.  Netanyahu has been investigated like this multiple times and the charges were always dropped.  IF there is proof that he broke the law then he needs to go and I suspect that will happen once proof is presented.

18 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

For those who complaint of Haaretz

Here are other varied sources reporting on the exact same story:

BBC

Jerusalem Post

TIME

Toronto Star

They are all parroting the same line: "The police said.....", without any explanation of WHICH police, or WHEN/HOW they said it ! (although the Jerusalem Post suggests it was on a TV news channel).

Sloppy journalism !! Go Directly To Jail, and Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Talk To The Israeli Prime Minister Whilst In Jail :P

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 3:55 AM, RoofGardener said:

What an amazing story !!

One thing puzzles me.... Haaretz makes continuous reference to "The Police".... the Police said this... the Police said that... etcetera. Indeed, it was the Police who - seemingly - held some sort of press conference, and announced their opinion that Benjy should be indicted.

Firstly, is this normal behavior for "The Police" ? To discuss a case with the media, rather than simply forwarding it to the Attorney General ?

Secondly, who - exactly - are "The Police" in this article ? Normally newspaper articles will state where and when the comment was made, and who the Police Press Spokesman was. They would also normally say WHICH police ? (e.g., constable Schloemo at the Hebron station, Lahav 433, the Chief Commissionaire,  etcetera).

Regardless of the merits of the case, there is something distinctly odd about the Haaretz report.

This police:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Police

They don't have local or municipal divisions like we do in the US or UK.  

It becoming public is similar to what would happen if Mueller indicts Trump.

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

It becoming public is similar to what would happen if Mueller indicts Trump.

Technically, Mueller CAN'T indict Trump until he is out of the office of President but I see your point.  The thing is, Bibi's polling is quite high, despite the drumbeat of this scandal that has gone on for many months now.  That said, Israel has been known for going after former PMs and nailing them so time will tell.

Netanyahu in deeper peril as more Israeli officials are arrested on corruption charges

''Less than one week after Israeli police recommended that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu be indicted on several corruption charges, a new legal minefield has opened up beneath his feet.

Seven Israelis were arrested on Sunday in what the police call "Case 4000," a new investigation in which members of Netanyahu's innermost circle are suspected of intervening with regulators to help the Bezeq group, an Israeli communications giant then run by a close friend of the prime minister, in exchange for favorable coverage of Netanyahu and his wife, Sara, on a news portal owned by the company.''

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-israel-corruption-arrests-20180218-story.html

This is becoming very serious. Should Netanyahu resign as PM?

On 2/19/2018 at 2:51 AM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

This is becoming very serious. Should Netanyahu resign as PM?

Only if he's a chump ;)   The situation around Trump has been characterized as much worse than "serious" for more than a year and his favorables just hit 50% - an all-time high.

Focussing back on Netenyahu.... his popularity has slumped to an incredible low. 

In a recent Pew poll, 97% of respondents had a very negative view of him, and ZERO percent had a favourable view of him. 

Mind you.. that WAS a poll of Lebanon :D 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/poll-netanyahu-beats-assad-as-least-popular-middle-east-leader/

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

Just like Trump, his popularity is actually going up.  People seem to be tired of the smoke generators that keep promising fire but never show any...

21 hours ago, and then said:

Only if he's a chump ;)   The situation around Trump has been characterized as much worse than "serious" for more than a year and his favorables just hit 50% - an all-time high.

It smells like corrupution. The allegations pile up all around Netanyahu. Some of the Israeli people might still support him, until the **** really hits the fan. Then you'll see his support drop considerably unless he choose to resign first.

3 hours ago, and then said:

Just like Trump, his popularity is actually going up.  People seem to be tired of the smoke generators that keep promising fire but never show any...

''The noose is tightening around Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a series of alleged corruption scandals. After recommending Netanyahu's indictment in two earlier cases, the Israeli Police expanded its probe to two other cases of corruption, which led to the arrest of seven close associates of Netanyahu on charges of obstruction of justice, fraud and breach of trust.''

https://in.news.yahoo.com/benjamin-netanyahu-corruption-charges-israeli-103313475.html

That seems like fire enough to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

''The noose is tightening around Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a series of alleged corruption scandals. After recommending Netanyahu's indictment in two earlier cases, the Israeli Police expanded its probe to two other cases of corruption, which led to the arrest of seven close associates of Netanyahu on charges of obstruction of justice, fraud and breach of trust.''

https://in.news.yahoo.com/benjamin-netanyahu-corruption-charges-israeli-103313475.html

Its become pretty clear that a certain percentage of our society believes they're playing a holy game and nothing matters beyond that. Not the behavior of their leaders, not the ramifications of their actions and certainly not those pesky fact thingies. 

Reading about event from one night club where Bibi's son was recorded openly speaking about 'some payments'... LINK to article. Bibi might be described as good leader by some but seeing what his boy does... He can't even make order in his own household.

Considering how much worth there is in resources ( for example Dead Sea is disappearing rapidly ) i find it ridiculous to be charged for corruption in Israel, Mileikowsky's appetite is so large that it come to this.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

YET... there he sits.  Kind of makes you wonder why, huh?  Maybe it's just like the crap we're seeing with Trump?  No THERE, there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 9:55 AM, RoofGardener said:

What an amazing story !!

I suspect they likely would have followed the normal procedure, but with Netanyahu being the most powerful man in the country - and with Israel known for being fairly corrupt, generally - my guess is that they leaked it to the media as a last resort. Judges and prosecutors can't ignore it now. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1