Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The ‘real’ St.Valentine was no patron of love

Still Waters

On Feb. 14, sweethearts of all ages will exchange cards, flowers, candy, and more lavish gifts in the name of St. Valentine. But as a historian of Christianity, I can tell you that at the root of our modern holiday is a beautiful fiction. St. Valentine was no lover or patron of love.

Valentine’s Day, in fact, originated as a liturgical feast to celebrate the decapitation of a third-century Christian martyr, or perhaps two. So, how did we get from beheading to betrothing on Valentine’s Day?

https://theconversation.com/the-real-st-valentine-was-no-patron-of-love-90518?xid=PS_smithsonian

• Like 1

Just gave my other half a card and a bunch of red and white roses. We've been together nearly 35 years.

According to the Vatican, the Pope and the historical record most of St Valentine's remains lie in the Carmelite Church in Whitefriars Street in Dublin.

http://www.carmelites.ie/stvalentine.html 

• Like 2

the retail sector say's he was the saint of lovers and thats all that matters. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

the retail sector say's he was the saint of lovers and thats all that matters. 

and I get to play floral designer for 2 weeks and make the same amount of money that I make risking my life and busting my ass.

Christianized Lupercalia.

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Christianized Lupercalia.

Yup, and I really think they wacked him because he didn't preform the miracle. Not because he did. You know what "fun and games" I have with missionaries. Ain't one that has managed to out "woo" me yet.

• Like 1