Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parkland School Shooting Discussion Thread

seeder

Just now, aztek said:

on the island full of cars it is pointless to theorize what would happen if there was no cars.

And it is unrealistic to argue they should have no cars ....

• Like 1

Sad to hear that this is happening. Unsurprising that it is happening again, but sad nonetheless.

• Like 5

Just now, Essan said:

And it is unrealistic to argue they should have no cars ....

pretty much, it is next to impossible to convince people that giving up THEIR guns will make a safer living, because it is not gonna happen. just as convincing you giving up your car will make it safer to cross roads.

actually there is a loophole that allows anyone, absolutely anyone to buy a untraceable gun absolutely legally. without any background check, or even a name, it can be done over the internet.   but i see very few know about it, and let's keep it that way, i wont go into details. 

• Like 1

Just a pre-emptive reminder here to please avoid posting or linking to graphic images or videos.

If you are posting a news link or video, please make sure it does not contain any material of this nature.

Thank you.

• Like 5

Just now, Timonthy said:

Laws most definitely play a role when they allow a population to be flooded with firearms.

more people had access to guns 40 years ago, guns were a lot less regulated, yet school shootings were basically unheard of, so it  is neither laws nor guns.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

more people had access to guns 40 years ago, guns were a lot less regulated, yet school shootings were basically unheard of, so it  is neither laws nor guns.

Yes, the gun issue diverts attention from the real issues here. 

• Like 4

Just now, aztek said:

The culture today is not as it was 40 years ago. School shootings are a more modern issue, and can you elaborate on the ‘neither laws nor guns’?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Essan said:

Yes, the gun issue diverts attention from the real issues here. 

Why would people not want to subtract something which facilitates death if they are aware of the real issue?

• Like 4

This is what happens in a society where it is no longer permitted (or "correct") to spank ones own children.

They grow-up with a spoiled sense of self.

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Lack of respect for how deadly guns are. 

i think they know exactly how deadly they are, that is why they use them,  at that age even small problems seem like huge issues. even for mentally stable kids,  add other factors into it, like all negative sides of social media, online shaming, bulling,  liberal school policies,  and ssri meds prescribed like candy  and you get what we see today

• Like 1

Just now, Timonthy said:

Why would people not want to subtract something which facilitates death if they are aware of the real issue?

because you need to go after the reason not means,  and what exactly do you propose? nationwide confiscation from law abiding citizens, cuz you sure as hell wont get guns off gangs and criminals,. 

even Clinton antigun campaign found that guns used in self de3fence about 1.5 million times a year, and that is the lowest estimate by antigun group. so guns save 1.5 mil people a year from being assaulted, raped, killed, robed....etc, keep in mind in vast majority of cases guns are not even discharged. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

SSRI's will mess you up. I know.

SNRI's are much better.

Just now, pallidin said:

SSRI's will mess you up. I know.

SNRI's are much better.

i'll take your word for it,  also pharmaceutical companies distributors (aka ;legal drug dealers)  make doctors interested in prescribing pills they make. so if a doc gets bigger kickback from those who make ssri, he will prescribe it over snri if both do same thing

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

How long will the pro-gunners accept such tragic bills for their "freedom"?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, toast said:

Forever.  Contrary to what it feels like, due to the fact that we are exposed to every piece of news instantly, according to FBI statistics mass shootings are are on a downward trend in the USA as are every other crime except property crime which is theft from homes and autos.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

i'll take your word for it,  also pharmaceutical companies distributors (aka ;legal drug dealers)  make doctors interested in prescribing pills they make. so if a doc gets bigger kickback from those who make ssri, he will prescribe it over snri if both do same thing

Over the years for my anxiety/depression I was prescribed various SSRI's, and it was the worst mental experience in my life.

I complained, and tried SNRI's, and since then have had zero side effects.

But that's for "me", of course.

• Like 2

Just now, toast said:

that is not bill for my freedom, it is a bill for liberalism, and "you are special, you deserve everything you want" mentality.

• Like 3

Sorry went off-topic, but I feel its relevant nonetheless.

Very sad about the school shooting.

• Like 2

Guns. No guns. Guns. No guns. Guns. No guns. Guns. No guns. Guns. No guns. Guns. No guns. Guns. No guns. 

Maybe I’ll check back in two days and just jump to page 26 of this thread for the continuation of that. 

What an ahole though. Condolences to the affected. One thing that stands out about this is that the shooter didn’t kill himself. The only upside to that is that we may actually get answers. Twisted as they may be we rarely get to know the what’s and why’s.

• Like 9

This really isn't about guns or access to them.

Its about the mental state of the person with the gun.

• Like 2

Bring back early-age spanking when appropriate, I say.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

because you need to go after the reason not means,  and what exactly do you propose? nationwide confiscation from law abiding citizens, cuz you sure as hell wont get guns off gangs and criminals,. 

well criminals and gangs tend to shoot each other... not such a bad thing in my view..

Dont get me wrong, the UK does have illegal guns, thats how all the classic bank heists were done in the past....criminals now have guns, its not unusual to hear, in the bigger cities, of at least one shooting every few weeks...

I even KNOW....I can get a blackmarket gun for about £300....BUT HAVE NEVER EVER WANTED ONE.....tho I do know a few gangster types

Mind you the problem with our youth is the knife crimes....again mostly limited to gangs and gang fights....

But we do read reports of the odd kid every now and again who was found to have taken a knife to school.... allegedly for.....protection.....and in my bouncer days, it was the most common weapon Id confiscate and put in the sharps barrel the cops supplied....

I actually have been stabbed 3 times...2 times in the same brawl....one a sneaky stab in my back...

the world has changed....as a kid...if I were bullied... Id either fight or keep out of the way... that was my ONLY choice really....

the problem with guns is....it changes the balance of power, doesnt it?

One of my mates from about 25 years ago....was a little skinny fella, mild mannered, not a bad bone in his body....nor any talk or thoughts of violence...he was named wayne...and he had been bullied a lot

Now me and wayne went to our other mates home one night....who proudly showed us his new replica blank firing handgun....I looked at it, it had a button to drop the magazine out....mag was empty of course... I cocked it....fired it but it just clicked of course....and then I was over with it....neither impressed or left wanting one...

Curious thing happened. Wayne, my little skinny soft spoken mate.... did what I did...dropped the mag out, slammed it back, cocked it....then.....SURPRISED EVERYONE.....by standing in front of me, deadly serious look on his face....and trying to sound tough....said... "Come on then seeder, think your a hard tough bouncer do you....what the F you gonna do now"....

well I just giggled....the gun was totally empty.....and told him if he didnt behave Id put him over my knee and smack his legs, my usual cocky self...

then he walked to the mirror and aimed at the mirror....so he could see what he looked like with this gun.... we could tell the cogs were turning in his head...

then he said.....what must be THE THING that all physically weak/timid/bullied people realise....

he said.... "You know what, Im getting one of these...now I can tell ANYONE to F-off.....guns ARE the ultimate F-Off"

well....we all looked at each other....my mate took the gun off him and went to put it in another room....

And we HAD ALL SEEN.....the softest most gentle mate we had....suddenly get the look of crazy power in his eyes.....

And it was a huge surprise and quite unsettling....

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Parkland School Shooting Discussion Thread