Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parkland School Shooting Discussion Thread

seeder

On his Instagram account (since deleted) he liked to use " Allahu Akbar " as well as his obsession with firearms and bombs. His social media footprint is concerning to say the least.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

So could the real evil and cause of these unfortunate tragedies in the US be a combination of the unbelievable power of pharmaceutical companies and the NRA ?

I'll tell you what.  Walk with me to work early one morning through the streets of Seattle and witness all of the mentally ill drug addicts on the street before the police shoo them out of sight and tell me how much the NRA has to do with that.  And believe me it did not used to be like this.  The difference between before and now is the amount of drugs both legal and illegal.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

On his Instagram account (since deleted) he liked to use " Allahu Akbar " as well as his obsession with firearms and bombs. His social media footprint is concerning to say the least.

Where did you see that?

1 hour ago, toast said:

Am I right assuming that these 1.5M use their guns for self defense because they get endangered by other people having guns?

all 1.5 mil??? nope, in some cases maybe, those are the case i assume when guns were actually fired, which accounts for  about 2\10 of cases of all self defense gun use. in 8 out of 10 cases guns are not fired, and stopped the threat, so it is pretty logical to assume another person had no gun.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Where did you see that?

Twitter, somebody I follow, I will look for it again.

There was a lot of profanity too, so I will have to obey site rules here.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 1

I understand this shooter raised danger suspicions before. I hope this will finally get congress motivated to make assault weapons as impossible for an average person to come by as possible. But the pro-gun Neanderthals and their supporters are not going to concede an inch STILL. And with Trump in office, we may just have to wait. If Hillary was in, I think the momentum could roll.

Edited by papageorge1

7 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Twitter, somebody I follow, I will look for it again.

There was a lot of profanity too, so I will have to obey site rules here.

You can post a link to a google search or similar, just not directly to said profanity. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I understand this shooter raised danger suspicions before. I hope this will finally get congress motivated to make assault weapons as impossible for an average person to come by as possible. But the pro-gun Neanderthals and their supporters are not going to concede an inch STILL. And with Trump in office, we may just have to wait. If Hillary was in, I think the momentum could roll.

Why would you think that?  Why Hillary and not Obama?  You're wrong. 

Just now, OverSword said:

Why would you think that?  Why Hillary and not Obama?  You're wrong. 

Momentum is growing from this was my point.....and I only said a better possibility with Hillary

Well I'll say it . What is available to kids and adults on tv and the internet that is so violent and the first shooter video games that convince some of these people that it's ok to do these horrible things. And where are this kids parents they have to realize that something is wrong.

1 minute ago, Mudflap said:

Well I'll say it . What is available to kids and adults on tv and the internet that is so violent and the first shooter video games that convince some of these people that it's ok to do these horrible things. And where are this kids parents they have to realize that something is wrong.

Well though, this doesn't happen to 99.9999% of kids. It is not a general problem in the population. I think the need is to find the problem people, but this is so fricking hard. Who knows who will or will not go off one day.

Now with multiple events in recent years the cat is out of the bag that a disturbed mind has this option in his bag of tricks. It is apparently not that hard to do. We need to make assault weapons as impossible to come by as possible, but the political unity for this is not there. We just have to accept there will be more and just try to limit it as best as reasonably possible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aztek said:

more people had access to guns 40 years ago, guns were a lot less regulated, yet school shootings were basically unheard of, so it  is neither laws nor guns.

This single fact should be enough to inform people here and abroad that the real issue isn't the access to firearms.  It is the changing mores and mindset of young people.  I think that it's a combination of many factors but the access to constant information flow and interconnectedness with other young people at a stage of life where simple opinions can seem to be a life and death issue.  They live in a virtual world more readily than the real one, it seems.  I'm beginning to think that all schools should be retrofit with measures that would stop anyone from sneaking a weapon onto campus.  Additionally, I guess armed guards at each entrance might be needed to stop the entrances from being chosen as the weak point for a kill zone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seeder said:

UK VERSION OF EVENTS

Yes, this is an amazing text book suspect then. Had he made threats that can be documented? If so, did the police do due diligence or were they even aware? 

Should he have been in psychiatric custody and not released until approved by a state psychiatrist? Sounds right. But did they have the documentation to show a judge?

My questions and toughts

• Like 1

It seems to be such a common occurrence these days with these school shootings in the States. It's difficult as to know what to really say anymore. Just that it's sad.....it's all just sad.  

• Like 6

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Yes, this is an amazing text book suspect then. Had he made threats that can be documented? If so, did the police do due diligence or were they even aware? 

Should he have been in psychiatric custody and not released until approved by a state psychiatrist? Sounds right. But did they have the documentation to show a judge?

My questions and toughts

In a way...we all 'know' something about the other kids in school dont we?  I mean when WE are at school with them...

Just in my class... I sorta KNEW the other kids despite having little to do with some of them...

there was the nerdy kid... great at every school subject but couldnt play any sports.....the gangly scruffy kid whose pants were always 2 inches too short as his parents didnt work and his clothes were hand-me-downs or charity shop bought and was sadly an outcast because of it...or maybe because his total lack of self esteem shone thru...

the kid who always looked immaculate and smelt of expensive soap, who had new shoes seemingly when he wanted them... the BEST winter coat....brand new briefcase for his books when we all used sports bags for our books...

the kid who was rubbish in schoolwork but a star at playing sports....all of them too...

ME...the cheeky little so and so who always cracked jokes and distracted the other kids....while forever being punished by the teachers because of it...

so yes....if he was deemed a bit weird and a threat....the kids and teachers would have picked up on that pretty damn soon

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, seeder said:

In a way...we all 'know' something about the other kids in school dont we?  I mean when WE are at school with them...

Just in my class... I sorta KNEW the other kids despite having little to do with some of them...

there was the nerdy kid... great at every school subject but couldnt play any sports.....the gangly scruffy kid whose pants were always 2 inches too short as his parents didnt work and his clothes were hand-me-downs or charity shop bought and was sadly an outcast because of it...or maybe because his total lack of self esteem shone thru...

the kid who always looked immaculate and smelt of expensive soap, who had new shoes seemingly when he wanted them... the BEST winter coat....brand new briefcase for his books when we all used sports bags for our books...

the kid who was rubbish in schoolwork but a star at playing sports....all of them too...

ME...the cheeky little so and so who always cracked jokes and distracted the other kids....while forever being punished by the teachers because of it...

so yes....if he was deemed a bit weird and a threat....the kids and teachers would have picked up on that pretty damn soon

Right, and this guy was that bad attitude delinquent one always in trouble that was into guns as they go well with his personality. But we can't lock them up indefinately for that before committing a serious crime, can we? Perhaps if he made documented threats? 

What to do with that type of kid?

Edited by papageorge1

35 minutes ago, Mudflap said:

those are clearly contributing problems, imo

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Right, and this guy was that bad attitude delinquent one always in trouble that was into guns as they go well with his personality. But we can't lock them up indefinitely for that before committing a serious crime, can we? Perhaps if he made documented threats? 

School councilors perhaps should be given the power to order psychiatric evaluations? Could the evaluator determine the kid is a public threat and held indefinitely under psychiatric care?

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Right, and this guy was that bad attitude delinquent one always in trouble that was into guns as they go well with his personality. But we can't lock them up indefinately for that before committing a serious crime, can we? Perhaps if he made documented threats? 

Im in my 50's....I havent a clue what schools do now if they are concerned about a kid....I should think that the teachers can get some agency involved....child welfare for ex.....they must have that equivalent in the US....

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I notice you're from Detroit.  I can certainly understand why a person in that city would favor taking guns away from people but neighbor, I can tell you without any doubt that when the day comes that a U.S. government attempts to forcibly take firearms from citizens en masse, there will be civil war and the blood that will flow will make these sporadic shootings seem like a pinprick in comparison.  That's just a reality.  Your condescension noted, I'm curious about how you envision a legal process where firearms are confiscated from citizens.  Can you elaborate?  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, and then said:

This single fact should be enough to inform people here and abroad that the real issue isn't the access to firearms.  It is the changing mores and mindset of young people.  I think that it's a combination of many factors but the access to constant information flow and interconnectedness with other young people at a stage of life where simple opinions can seem to be a life and death issue.  They live in a virtual world more readily than the real one, it seems.  I'm beginning to think that all schools should be retrofit with measures that would stop anyone from sneaking a weapon onto campus.  Additionally, I guess armed guards at each entrance might be needed to stop the entrances from being chosen as the weak point for a kill zone.

Young people aren't the sole problem 'and then', how old was the Vegas shooter?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Young people aren't the sole problem 'and then', how old was the Vegas shooter?

The horrible church slaying in Texas jumps to mind as well. If memory serves right, he was into his mid/late 20's I think.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, and then said:

You can keep reassuring yourselves but your the only country with that sort of gun culture, and the only country where this could be considered a regular occurrence. Its just going to keep happening and its obvious to everyone but gun nuts. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, and then said:

I notice you're from Detroit.  I can certainly understand why a person in that city would favor taking guns away from people but neighbor, I can tell you without any doubt that when the day comes that a U.S. government attempts to forcibly take firearms from citizens en masse, there will be civil war and the blood that will flow will make these sporadic shootings seem like a pinprick in comparison.  That's just a reality.  Your condescension noted, I'm curious about how you envision a legal process where firearms are confiscated from citizens.  Can you elaborate?  

I only mentioned assault (automatic) weapons in this thread.

• The title was changed to Parkland School Shooting Discussion Thread