Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Earth photographed from 62 million km away

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

 
White Unicorn
1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

NASA's OSIRIS-REx probe has captured a stunning new image of the Earth against the blackness of space.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/315726/earth-photographed-from-62-million-km-away

I would like to see more photos of earth like this, but closer. Close enough to see the space station, satellites, and orbiting space junk. 

This shot reminds me of the Dr Suisse TV program of the world on a piece of dust. LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waspie_Dwarf
1 hour ago, White Unicorn said:

I would like to see more photos of earth like this, but closer. Close enough to see the space station, satellites, and orbiting space junk. 

That's simply not possible. The Earth is over 12,000 km in diameter. The largest artificial object in orbit is the ISS, and it's only the size of a football field. Any image that shows the whole Earth, from whatever distance it is taken, would simply not have the resolution, and would be too small, to show satellies and space junk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Unicorn
On 2/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

That's simply not possible. The Earth is over 12,000 km in diameter. The largest artificial object in orbit is the ISS, and it's only the size of a football field. Any image that shows the whole Earth, from whatever distance it is taken, would simply not have the resolution, and would be too small, to show satellies and space junk.

I'd be happy just to see an image of our satellites and space junk, not necessarily a view showing the whole image of the earth with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waspie_Dwarf
17 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

I'd be happy just to see an image of our satellites and space junk, not necessarily a view showing the whole image of the earth with it. 

The most obvious question is why?

There are plenty around of photographs of satellites around. There are images of the ISS taken by amateur astronomers detailed enough to show spacewalking astronauts. However most space junk is small, taking detailed images of objects only a few feet across from several hundred miles away is not an easy task. Most photographs of satellites show nothing more than a streak of light as the satellite moves across the sky or a point source of light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Unicorn
10 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The most obvious question is why?

There are plenty around of photographs of satellites around. There are images of the ISS taken by amateur astronomers detailed enough to show spacewalking astronauts. However most space junk is small, taking detailed images of objects only a few feet across from several hundred miles away is not an easy task. Most photographs of satellites show nothing more than a streak of light as the satellite moves across the sky or a point source of light.

I wondered how much bigger  junk is still up there in orbit? It would be interesting to view some satellites in orbit from space together not just a close up of one at a time. Has that been done Waspie? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.