Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth photographed from 62 million km away

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

NASA's OSIRIS-REx probe has captured a stunning new image of the Earth against the blackness of space.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/315726/earth-photographed-from-62-million-km-away

I would like to see more photos of earth like this, but closer. Close enough to see the space station, satellites, and orbiting space junk. 

This shot reminds me of the Dr Suisse TV program of the world on a piece of dust. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Unicorn said:

I would like to see more photos of earth like this, but closer. Close enough to see the space station, satellites, and orbiting space junk. 

That's simply not possible. The Earth is over 12,000 km in diameter. The largest artificial object in orbit is the ISS, and it's only the size of a football field. Any image that shows the whole Earth, from whatever distance it is taken, would simply not have the resolution, and would be too small, to show satellies and space junk.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

That's simply not possible. The Earth is over 12,000 km in diameter. The largest artificial object in orbit is the ISS, and it's only the size of a football field. Any image that shows the whole Earth, from whatever distance it is taken, would simply not have the resolution, and would be too small, to show satellies and space junk.

I'd be happy just to see an image of our satellites and space junk, not necessarily a view showing the whole image of the earth with it. 

17 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

I'd be happy just to see an image of our satellites and space junk, not necessarily a view showing the whole image of the earth with it. 

The most obvious question is why?

There are plenty around of photographs of satellites around. There are images of the ISS taken by amateur astronomers detailed enough to show spacewalking astronauts. However most space junk is small, taking detailed images of objects only a few feet across from several hundred miles away is not an easy task. Most photographs of satellites show nothing more than a streak of light as the satellite moves across the sky or a point source of light.

10 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The most obvious question is why?

There are plenty around of photographs of satellites around. There are images of the ISS taken by amateur astronomers detailed enough to show spacewalking astronauts. However most space junk is small, taking detailed images of objects only a few feet across from several hundred miles away is not an easy task. Most photographs of satellites show nothing more than a streak of light as the satellite moves across the sky or a point source of light.

I wondered how much bigger  junk is still up there in orbit? It would be interesting to view some satellites in orbit from space together not just a close up of one at a time. Has that been done Waspie?