Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

Beware of the Beastly Bunyip

3 posts in this topic

rashore

A creature believed by many to have supernatural origins, the Bunyip is a monster that lurks within the creeks and swamps of Australia, and which has been known to the Aboriginal people for centuries. Maybe even longer. As for its appearance, in 1845 the Geelong Advertiser told its readers: “The Bunyip, then, is represented as uniting the characteristics of a bird and of an alligator. It has a head resembling an emu, with a long bill, at the extremity of which is a transverse projection on each side, with serrated edges like the bone of the stingray. Its body and legs partake of the nature of the alligator. The hind legs are remarkably thick and strong, and the fore legs are much longer, but still of great strength. The extremities are furnished with long claws, but the blacks say its usual method of killing its prey is by hugging it to death. When in the water it swims like a frog, and when on shore it walks on its hind legs with its head erect, in which position it measures twelve or thirteen feet in height.”

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/02/beware-of-the-beastly-bunyip/

• Like 2

Keel M.

THAT is a very bizarre looking creature.

• Like 1

Podo

I remember reading about Dot and the Kangaroo when I was a kid, as well as the animated movie of the book, and they had a bunyip character. It was the first I heard of it, and really fell in love with it. As such, the bunyip played a significant role in my fascination with cryptozoology when I was a child. Thanks, Australia!