Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Mandela Effect’ & how your mind plays tricks

rashore

Have you ever been convinced that something is a particular way only to discover you’ve remembered it all wrong? If so, it sounds like you’ve experienced the phenomenon known as the Mandela Effect.

This form of collective misremembering of common events or details first emerged in 2010, when countless people on the internet falsely remembered Nelson Mandela was dead. It was widely believed he had died in prison during the 1980s. In reality, Mandela was actually freed in 1990 and passed away in 2013 – despite some people’s claims they remember clips of his funeral on TV.

https://theconversation.com/the-mandela-effect-and-how-your-mind-is-playing-tricks-on-you-89544

• Like 5

I don't have time to read the article right now. But I've heard of this interesting phenomenon

"When it comes to memories, we always stack the deck"  The character - "Wireman" from S. King's DUMA KEY.  Excellent read, btw.

• Like 2

What's more interesting is that 'phenomena' gets all the attention while, essentially, the source, or say reason, for such 'phenomena' to occur is pretty evident. 

Nelson Mandela was very much still alive when Dave Chapelle did a skit about him in the 2000s. I guess most people missed that. The Monopoly guy never wore a monocle, and I think most people are confusing him with Mr. Peanut. Darth Vader never said, “Luke, I am your father.” That's been a well-documented misquote for many years (saw it mentioned in a book about misquoted movie lines in the late-1990s once) and if anyone doesn't believe that, I have an old VHS from the '80s somewhere I can plug in to double check. I didn't care enough about the Berenstain Bears as a kid to know it wasn't Berenstein, and I don't think very many people did either. The VW logo always always looked like that. I used to detail cars. I should know

Ugh.

Edited by Skulduggery

1 hour ago, Skulduggery said:

Nelson Mandela was very much still alive when Dave Chapelle did a skit about him in the 2000s. I guess most people missed that. The Monopoly guy never wore a monocle, and I think most people are confusing him with Mr. Peanut. Darth Vader never said, “Luke, I am your father.” That's been a well-documented misquote for many years (saw it mentioned in a book about misquoted movie lines in the late-1990s once) and if anyone doesn't believe that, I have an old VHS from the '80s somewhere I can plug in to double check. I didn't care enough about the Berenstain Bears as a kid to know it wasn't Berenstein, and I don't think very many people did either. The VW logo always always looked like that. I used to detail cars. I should know

Ugh.

So you must actually be from this time line we have all found ourselves in??!!:D

• Like 1

I think a lot of it has to do with mis-remembering and memetics. If you think something was different (like a logo) tell others (sharing the idea) and they re-think it, then you've let loose a memetic thought-virus. More people will mis-remember it as well. Suggestion can be a monster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wes83 said:

So you must actually be from this time line we have all found ourselves in??!!:D

Everyone is drawn into my timeline in some way or another SMDH. Also, Chappelle*, not Chapelle. That was an autocorrect mishap on my part, not the Mandela Effect. :P

• Like 2

Mandala effect is fascinating to me. I fully remember the Berenstein/Berenstain Bears argument of a few years ago, and had to dig out an old book to be sure. It's easy to fall into misremembering things. Just don't deny reality when you are revealed to be wrong.

• Like 2