Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
whutupribs

"Ghost", poltergeist, or something else?

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

whutupribs

I'm here looking for some help, or at least some advice on how I should proceed...

Let me start by saying that my family, on my mother's side, has had a long history of being "sensitive" to the paranormal. It doesn't go so far as mediumship, exactly... I'm still on the fence as to whether what we think of as communicative mediumship has much merit at all. Rather, as far back as I can trace, the family has always seemed to attract or amplify paranormal activity, as well as getting emotional or visual "impressions". I could spend hours recounting all the experiences I've had throughout the years. These things aren't generally talked about, as we all have more or less accepted them as normal.

All that being said, I still consider myself a skeptic. Obviously I don't deny the fact that the paranormal exists, but I do tend towards the attitude that the vast majority of what people see as paranormal has some sort of rational explanation and that all avenues of explanation should be ruled out before assuming that something is paranormal in nature. Keep that in mind as I share my story...

As far as I can recall, my current situation began around two years ago. My girlfriend (who is an outright disbeliever in the paranormal) and I were laying in bed and watching a movie. Suddenly, she screamed and jumped out of the bed, which obviously startled me. According to her, it felt like someone grabbed her by the ankle. She says she could feel the pressure from each individual finger, and it bothered her quite a bit. She didn't sleep that night. Fast forward a few weeks, and again, we were laying in bed and talking. We both heard, clear as anything, a dog walk up the hard-wood floor of the hallway to my bedroom and lay down outside the bedroom door. Thinking that it was my dog and she needed to go out, I got up and opened the door. Not only was my dog not in the hallway, she was asleep on the couch in the living room, all the way across the house. The very next night, I was sitting at my computer, and it felt just like someone ran a single finger down my calf. This was the end of the activity for the next six months, or thereabouts.

Around a year and a half ago, the same thing began happening every couple of nights: At almost exactly 3:18 AM, I would hear a *knock-knock* on my bedroom door, as though someone was tapping with their index finger. Now, I do live with my parents and a couple other family members, but none of them are awake at that time. It was so clear that I would, half-awake, yell out that whoever was knocking could come in. This is less frequent now, but still occurs. However, things have only gotten stranger...

Every once in a while, I wake up to my bed shaking. It's actual shaking, not a vibration or rumbling. It stops almost as soon as I wake up, and I'm always left with a feeling of heaviness in the room. Then, about two months ago, a bag of dry moss that I keep on the shelf of my computer desk for my pet lizard sort of "jumped" off the shelf and flew across it. It was very stable on it's own, but it was even held in place by a couple of other items. I simply cannot see how it could have even moved on it's own, let alone jump up and fly across the shelf. Then, just last week, a water bottle that I keep on the floor by my lizard's tank jumped up off the floor, bounced off the wall, and hit his tank.

What I find strange(and honestly, most unsettling) is that I get absolutely no "impression" from whatever this is. As I said, I normally get at least some kind of emotional impression or mental image when exposed to the paranormal, even though it's usually very mild. With this, I get absolutely nothing. So my question is, what exactly do you think this could be? And what steps should I take from here on out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
White Unicorn
26 minutes ago, whutupribs said:

I'm here looking for some help, or at least some advice on how I should proceed...

Let me start by saying that my family, on my mother's side, has had a long history of being "sensitive" to the paranormal. It doesn't go so far as mediumship, exactly... I'm still on the fence as to whether what we think of as communicative mediumship has much merit at all. Rather, as far back as I can trace, the family has always seemed to attract or amplify paranormal activity, as well as getting emotional or visual "impressions". I could spend hours recounting all the experiences I've had throughout the years. These things aren't generally talked about, as we all have more or less accepted them as normal.

All that being said, I still consider myself a skeptic. Obviously I don't deny the fact that the paranormal exists, but I do tend towards the attitude that the vast majority of what people see as paranormal has some sort of rational explanation and that all avenues of explanation should be ruled out before assuming that something is paranormal in nature. Keep that in mind as I share my story...

As far as I can recall, my current situation began around two years ago. My girlfriend (who is an outright disbeliever in the paranormal) and I were laying in bed and watching a movie. Suddenly, she screamed and jumped out of the bed, which obviously startled me. According to her, it felt like someone grabbed her by the ankle. She says she could feel the pressure from each individual finger, and it bothered her quite a bit. She didn't sleep that night. Fast forward a few weeks, and again, we were laying in bed and talking. We both heard, clear as anything, a dog walk up the hard-wood floor of the hallway to my bedroom and lay down outside the bedroom door. Thinking that it was my dog and she needed to go out, I got up and opened the door. Not only was my dog not in the hallway, she was asleep on the couch in the living room, all the way across the house. The very next night, I was sitting at my computer, and it felt just like someone ran a single finger down my calf. This was the end of the activity for the next six months, or thereabouts.

Around a year and a half ago, the same thing began happening every couple of nights: At almost exactly 3:18 AM, I would hear a *knock-knock* on my bedroom door, as though someone was tapping with their index finger. Now, I do live with my parents and a couple other family members, but none of them are awake at that time. It was so clear that I would, half-awake, yell out that whoever was knocking could come in. This is less frequent now, but still occurs. However, things have only gotten stranger...

Every once in a while, I wake up to my bed shaking. It's actual shaking, not a vibration or rumbling. It stops almost as soon as I wake up, and I'm always left with a feeling of heaviness in the room. Then, about two months ago, a bag of dry moss that I keep on the shelf of my computer desk for my pet lizard sort of "jumped" off the shelf and flew across it. It was very stable on it's own, but it was even held in place by a couple of other items. I simply cannot see how it could have even moved on it's own, let alone jump up and fly across the shelf. Then, just last week, a water bottle that I keep on the floor by my lizard's tank jumped up off the floor, bounced off the wall, and hit his tank.

What I find strange(and honestly, most unsettling) is that I get absolutely no "impression" from whatever this is. As I said, I normally get at least some kind of emotional impression or mental image when exposed to the paranormal, even though it's usually very mild. With this, I get absolutely nothing. So my question is, what exactly do you think this could be? And what steps should I take from here on out?

Hi welcome to UM :)

It sounds like a poltergiest experience to me since you said about the extra awareness running in the family. 

The choice of what steps to take is yours. Do you want more experiences like this or to reject them? 

A journal always helps to analyze the cause of the effects and to learn more about it. Write all of the details and your state of mind and emotions at the time of the experience and before it. 

Emotions usually trigger poltergiest activities. Learn more about connecting with and how your own subconscious communicates with your normal consciousness while awake and asleep. 

I wish you the best in your discoveries if you take that path. Always be skeptical of your own experiences and perceptions of them to learn the truth about any phenomena. A journal is a good way to start, to use it later to analyze things objectively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whutupribs
9 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

Hi welcome to UM :)

It sounds like a poltergiest experience to me since you said about the extra awareness running in the family. 

The choice of what steps to take is yours. Do you want more experiences like this or to reject them? 

A journal always helps to analyze the cause of the effects and to learn more about it. Write all of the details and your state of mind and emotions at the time of the experience and before it. 

Emotions usually trigger poltergiest activities. Learn more about connecting with and how your own subconscious communicates with your normal consciousness while awake and asleep. 

I wish you the best in your discoveries if you take that path. Always be skeptical of your own experiences and perceptions of them to learn the truth about any phenomena. A journal is a good way to start, to use it later to analyze things objectively. 

Thanks!
To answer your question, I don't necessarily "reject" the experiences, as the activity doesn't seem to display any real violence or maliciousness. However, I've never really dealt with poltergeist activity, so I'm not really sure what to expect if I were to allow it to continue. Are there any dangers involved in allowing or encouraging such a thing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

"Ghost", poltergeist, or something else?

Maybe you shouldn't look at that as an 'or' question. In locations with different types of phenomena going on it is hard to sort things out. As some people and locations seem to become hot beds for the invisible and things cluster.

4 hours ago, whutupribs said:

 

All that being said, I still consider myself a skeptic.

You seem to have a good logical head on you, making your experiences more important to the rest of us trying to understand more anout this universe. Skeptic in this case means you require strong evidence and you have had that when you have saw dried moss and a water bottle go flying and bouncing around the room in a manner consistent with so many other poltergeist stories. Stories like yours get added to my databank of experiences I have heard, so thanks for sharing.

As for last question about advice as to what to do, I am no psychic myself and can't peer into the source. That would probably require an expert on sight. There are generic techniques like sageing and banishing you can find out more about on-line. I have no experience with any of those things myself. Fortunately, nothing appears really negative in all this or a cause for panic.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
15 hours ago, whutupribs said:

Thanks!
To answer your question, I don't necessarily "reject" the experiences, as the activity doesn't seem to display any real violence or maliciousness. However, I've never really dealt with poltergeist activity, so I'm not really sure what to expect if I were to allow it to continue. Are there any dangers involved in allowing or encouraging such a thing?

Man, it is hard to reply to this without sounding other than I intend. Do some research on what poltergeist activity actually is, please, and focus on sources which talk about it originating in someone in the house versus being something spooky or demonic or caused by Something Else (cue scary music track here LOL). If you want to research and let this keep disrupting your life at random and maybe learn about it, this is the route to take and do that log or diary already suggested. I say focus on the sources which do not push the demons or ghost theories because in this case that is the type you are describing (your remark about not sensing anything or personality, etc.).

Dangers? Possibly having it escalate into the sorts which do get pushed along by something else. IMO, The odds are good this will chill out soon and go away and leave you wondering if it all really happened that way :). I have generally seen this sort be short lived or sporadic and then simply gone without notice.

Up to you. I do see the appeal if you are sort of new to visible things happening. World is full of folks who will tell you this is BS and never happens, etc. You can see with your own eyes and possibly document some of it and know it does happen sometimes. To me, poltergeist events are some of the oddest and most curious to get into because you have to wonder what in the world makes this stress or energy over here result in that over there??  It will be nice when we get some more science into it to maybe explain that for us.

Entities throwing things around is a lot less fun and something totally different. 

Have fun :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Unicorn
On 2/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, whutupribs said:

Thanks!
To answer your question, I don't necessarily "reject" the experiences, as the activity doesn't seem to display any real violence or maliciousness. However, I've never really dealt with poltergeist activity, so I'm not really sure what to expect if I were to allow it to continue. Are there any dangers involved in allowing or encouraging such a thing?

The first danger is that the activity can throw knives just as a loaf of bread. 

The second that comes to my mind is that if your a sensitive to poltergiest activity and you visit another place that's considered haunted, the activity is increased by your presence. 

If your emotional state is healthy and you have better knowlege of control over your own subconscious aspects you needn't worry about bad manifestations. 

Meditation of different types can help you become more aware of the symbology that your subconscious uses to communicate with your objective mind. Lucid dreaming is one of the first steps of more awareness and affinity with the powers of your  subconscious influences. 

When you log your experiences try to get the perceptions of other witnesses, be ready to film it, and always sceptically analyze the causes to rule out the ordinary in each event. 

You can look into myths and religious experiences and their beliefs about the causes, but don't fall into any belief system of others, find your own truths about all speculations. I say this because many people start believing others answers and might think of demonic things and bring their own psyche  to experience things to reinforce the belief and lose their sceptical but open minded opinions. 

You are lucky because you have many sources today that I didn't 47 years ago when I started to study this weird phenomena. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSilhouette

Can't speak to the rest of it, but the rapping soft knocks on your door may be a cat, if you have one.  Sometimes my cat if she wants in my room or outdoors will stand and whip her tail against the door.  And it sounds exactly like someone lightly rapping with their knuckle on the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mysticwerewolf

  There are those here who will disagree with me but it sounds like someone or something wants some attention. My suggestion would be the next time something starts at 3 something am tell it something like"Good night Mr. Ghost.".. roll over and go back to sleep.. if it is a family member or friend playing games with you.  You will hear about it at which time you can get mad at(or even with) them. The one thing I have learned is spirits want to be noticed too. if it gets worse then come back and ask again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.