Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

The Brilliance of Tracie Harris

27 posts in this topic

Scudbuster

Concise, to the point, very analytical in her thinking, always keeps her cool, and educates (whenever she can) extremely well. 

• Like 4

Podo

I have never heard of this woman before, but that first Christian caller, who tried to justify a child rapist's actions because a child might deserve it? Wow. Just...wow. There are plenty of abrahamic theists who aren't monsters, but that guy sure was.

Edit:
Lol at the guy who doesn't understand "big words."

Edited by Podo
  • Like 5

Scudbuster
26 minutes ago, Podo said:

I have never heard of this woman before, but that first Christian caller, who tried to justify a child rapist's actions because a child might deserve it? Wow. Just...wow. There are plenty of abrahamic theists who aren't monsters, but that guy sure was.

Edit:
Lol at the guy who doesn't understand "big words."

Yea, many of the callers into this show...their "logic" or total lack there of....you just shake your head.

The one guy wouldn't answer the question about letting a "god" burn his child forever.....these reactions,  when confronted with logical questioning from someone like Tracie, at times it's simply incomprehensible to me.

• Like 3

Clockwork_Spirit

A christian fundamentalist who turned into a hardcore atheist.

Seems like going from one extreme to the other.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

Scudbuster
35 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, she certainly chose the right direction. :D:D

• Like 5

Clockwork_Spirit
3 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, she certainly chose the right direction. :D:D

The overwhelming majority of anti-theists have had a traumatic experience with one or several religions. In most cases they were raised as fundamentalists. It seems to be a pattern. I guess I'm lucky to have been raised in a religiously liberal environment.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

Hello Davros Kitty

I love Tracie.

18f0539fbd2467ffc9f95d0e66cdee0c--atheis

• Like 5

Hello Davros Kitty
3 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

The overwhelming majority of anti-theists have had a traumatic experience with one or several religions. In most cases they were raised as fundamentalists. It seems to be a pattern. I guess I'm lucky to have been raised in a religiously liberal environment.

I don't find that true at all.

I'm anti-theist, and I was not raised in fundamentalism. 

I'm anti-theist because I'm against bad ideas especially when it's pushed around so much, and worn like a badge of honor.

It's a bad idea because it slows people's thinking. Every thought has to filter through myths.

• Like 5

Rlyeh
3 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I was raised as liberal Christian, all it took me was creationism and the Old Testament to reject Christianity.

• Like 3

eight bits

davros

I love Tracie.

It's just dopamine; get over it :) .

In the OP examples, the chosen callers are more stupid than Tracie is smart. Are there examples where she gets more of a chance to strut her stuff?

What I have in mind, of course, is something more like the street epistemology vids (Anthony Magnabosco's and others') where at least occasionally, the "other side" is represented by somebody with their wits about them.

• Like 4

Scudbuster
15 hours ago, eight bits said:

davros

In the OP examples, the chosen callers are more stupid than Tracie is smart. Are there examples where she gets more of a chance to strut her stuff?

What I have in mind, of course, is something more like the street epistemology vids (Anthony Magnabosco's and others') where at least occasionally, the "other side" is represented by somebody with their wits about them.

Oh, there are plenty of old episodes of the Atheist Experience on YouTube featuring Tracie, Matt Dillahunty, etc.  Now, you can always call in yourself live and ask any questions you might have, I'll be happy to post the video of your call on here for everyone to see/hear. :D

Edited by Scudbuster
  • Like 5

Podo
18 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Oh, there are plenty of reordered episodes of the Atheist Experience on YouTube featuring Tracie, Matt Dillahunty, etc.  Now, you can always call in yourself live and ask any questions you might have, I'll be happy to post the video of your call on here for everyone to see/hear. :D

I'd watch that.

• Like 3

eight bits

Lol. I don't have a quarrel with the lady; I was looking for something that allowed her to get her personal viewpoint across plainly, which is a different task from crisply defeating an adversarial moron on a phone-in show.

Here're two things I found:

An essay she wrote about her gradual deconversion, at the Austin Atheists site:

https://atheist-community.org/about/testimonials/307-tracie-harris

A friendly interview of her, and ironically, even though it is about counterapologetics, a lot that is personal to her perspective comes through: It's about half an hour:

• Like 3

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
20 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I am an atheist, but I have never had any traumatic experiences with religion, nor were I raised fundamentalist. Neither do I personally know any atheists that fits your desription. I guess this may have something to do with where I live ?

On topic I have seen several videos with Tracy Harris and she comes across as a very intelligent and patient person.

• Like 4

Michelle
1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I am an atheist, but I have never had any traumatic experiences with religion, nor were I raised fundamentalist. Neither do I personally know any atheists that fits your desription. I guess this may have something to do with where I live ?

I live in the Bible Belt and this has been my experience also. 

• Like 3

Hello Davros Kitty

• Like 3

Jodie.Lynne
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

If you tuned into the show you would learn that the faith she was raised in failed to be consistent with what she saw in the real world. The further she delved into educating herself on her religious beliefs, the more she realized that they were not true was a totally man made construct.. 

• Like 4

ShadowSot
On 2/15/2018 at 10:18 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I often say that if I hadn't been pressed into taking religion seriously as a child I'd still be some form of religious. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ShadowSot
On 2/16/2018 at 6:59 PM, Michelle said:

I live in the Bible Belt and this has been my experience also. 

I live in the Bible belt as well. I've been around people who enthusiastically talk about killing atheists and get a round of cheers to it. 

While excusing various moral deficiencies because hey, they still go to church on Sunday. He may be a drunk and a wife beater, but he still is there every Sunday. 

• Like 3

Kismit
7 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

I live in the Bible belt as well. I've been around people who enthusiastically talk about killing atheists and get a round of cheers to it. 

While excusing various moral deficiencies because hey, they still go to church on Sunday. He may be a drunk and a wife beater, but he still is there every Sunday. 

I live in a mostly Christian society. But we also have many other religious and non-religious people here.

I know many good people, not of any religion or non religion. I can however say that many of the morally worst people I have met, fixed it up by attending Church on Sundays. 

I don't think that is the fault of the Church or the Good people who also attend the Church, it is a thing bad people are drawn to, forgivness for thier bad behavior.

Cleansed weekly or hidden behind a viel of piety.

• Like 4

Hammerclaw
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I live in a mostly Christian society. But we also have many other religious and non-religious people here.

I know many good people, not of any religion or non religion. I can however say that many of the morally worst people I have met, fixed it up by attending Church on Sundays. 

I don't think that is the fault of the Church or the Good people who also attend the Church, it is a thing bad people are drawn to, forgivness for thier bad behavior.

Cleansed weekly or hidden behind a viel of piety.

Everyone attending Church is a sinner--the only difference is in degree. What better place for them?(With a wry wink and voice, dripping with irony.)

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

Kismit
13 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Everyone attending Church is a sinner--the only difference is in degree. What better place for them?(With a wry wink and voice, dripping with irony.)

I have to say this was an angle I thought about posting, only I could not think of how to post it.

In the words of a good Christian I know, "God loves a sinner, the bigger the sin the greater the love." 

They meant that God wants to heal them and forgive them. And the belief that turning to God can fix all evils.

What I heard was, "God loves a sinner, the bigger the sin the greater the love," if you are a bad person and you enter the Church you can recieve the shelter provided by God, unconditionally. In other words, you don't have to be nice, you just have to be religous.

• Like 2

Hammerclaw
6 hours ago, Kismit said:

I have to say this was an angle I thought about posting, only I could not think of how to post it.

In the words of a good Christian I know, "God loves a sinner, the bigger the sin the greater the love." 

They meant that God wants to heal them and forgive them. And the belief that turning to God can fix all evils.

What I heard was, "God loves a sinner, the bigger the sin the greater the love," if you are a bad person and you enter the Church you can recieve the shelter provided by God, unconditionally. In other words, you don't have to be nice, you just have to be religous.

God knows his own, Kismit; he can't be hoodwinked with false piety. There are plenty of people who attend Church "religiously" who deserve to go to the bad place or, at least, that Catholic reform school called Purgatory. There are, also, plenty of so-called "Sinners" who will merit the Kingdom of Heaven. God's Grace is his to bestow on whom he will and no earthly power can intercede or deny. It's all symbology, Kismit and "God" is a symbol for something that existed before our star flamed hot in the infinite void. Everything in this post is couched in symbology, comfortable and simple terminology for concepts and things our primitive brains can hardly grasp.  Go out on a clear night, away from the city lights and look up at the stars, the milky way arching overhead. Look out on the vast expanse of the Universe and ask yourself: Could minds of such tiny finite creatures, as human beings are on the cosmic scale, ever understand something that could have created all of that? If God exists, God is something quite beyond our quaint human theology.

• Like 3

Kismit

^^^^

That is a beautiful post.

• Thanks 1

MysticWolf
16 hours ago, Kismit said:

Sounds like a sanctuary for evil to me.