Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Northern Lights origin observed for 1st time

Still Waters

As far as natural light shows go, few come more spectacular than the legendary Northern Lights. Folks have been peering up at these awe-inspiring auroras for thousands of years, but until now the inner workings of these sub-atomic showers have been subject to some (very) educated guesswork. For the first time, scientists in Japan have now directly observed the mechanics of the Northern Lights, confirming once and for all a long-held hypothesis and furthering our understanding of one of the world's great natural wonders.

https://newatlas.com/northern-lights-chorus-waves-first/53438/

• Like 4

I've seen them twice here in Washington state. the first time I thought the horizon was on fire when I first saw them  the second time I was sitting in the yard on a lawn chair here in Seattle and was seeing red and pink and orange flashes in the night sky and it took a moment for me to switch from a fantasy frame of mind to scientific frame of mind and realize what I was seeing  Really pretty both times.