Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant rodent Nutria invading U.S. wetlands

Still Waters

Two hundred years ago, you probably wouldn't have been able to find them outside of South America.

But since then, nutria, a giant rodent that can grow larger than 20 pounds, has taken hold in the U.S.

California is the latest region to be plagued by the large, buck-toothed, web-footed rodent. Earlier this month, the state's fish and wildlife department issued a warning about the influx of nutria.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/nutria-spreading-california-wetlands-louisiana-swamps-spd/

• Like 3

Layer onion, tomato, potatoes, carrots and Brussels sprouts in crockpot. Season nutria with salt, pepper and garlic, and place nutria over vegetables. Add wine and water, set crockpot on low and let cook until meat is tender (approximately 1-1/2 hours). Garnish with vegetables and demi-glace.

• Like 6

Wanted Dead or Alive:

Nutria

$25 each

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 3

This is old news down in these parts. The sheriff we had for what seemed like eons would go on nutria hunting expeditions. They always had to report it on the news in case people heard the gunfire since we're in a city. They would burrow in to the sides of the canals we have here. I think it was due to them that cement sides were added to most of the canal systems here in the New Orleans area. Nutria is good eatin' according to Cajuns (who eat anything that don't eat them first lol) and their pelts make beautiful coats.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Keel M. said:

This is old news down in these parts. The sheriff we had for what seemed like eons would go on nutria hunting expeditions. They always had to report it on the news in case people heard the gunfire since we're in a city. They would burrow in to the sides of the canals we have here. I think it was due to them that cement sides were added to most of the canal systems here in the New Orleans area. Nutria is good eatin' according to Cajuns (who eat anything that don't eat them first lol) and their pelts make beautiful coats.

They're a problem over in the Mobile River Delta too.  I've never eaten Nutria but I love Squirrel in gravy over rice... one rodent's as good as the next, I guess. ;) 

• Like 3

Rodents of Unusual Size...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, and then said:

They're a problem over in the Mobile River Delta too.  I've never eaten Nutria but I love Squirrel in gravy over rice... one rodent's as good as the next, I guess. ;) 

Well if you decide to try it, I'm guessing it tastes much like squirrel does because they're both rodents but one nutria goes a lot farther than one squirrel. Lol It's lean and protein packed, so it's definitely healthy. You should follow the recipe @Eldorado shared since that's the first one that came up. :P

• Like 2

Don't worry. The plague of feral swine should keep them in check.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Don't worry. The plague of feral swine should keep them in check.

Something tells me that if/when the stuff hits the fan, Rodentia shall certainly be on the menu and much appreciated, at that. :P

• Like 2

Just now, and then said:

Something tells me that if/when the stuff hits the fan, Rodentia shall certainly be on the menu and much appreciated, at that. :P

9 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Layer onion, tomato, potatoes, carrots and Brussels sprouts in crockpot. Season nutria with salt, pepper and garlic, and place nutria over vegetables. Add wine and water, set crockpot on low and let cook until meat is tender (approximately 1-1/2 hours). Garnish with vegetables and demi-glace.

And give it a French name. No one orders "snails" in an expensive restaurant.

• Like 4