Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Home Office denies medical cannabis...

LV-426

Home Office denies medical cannabis pleas for boy, 6

"Requests for a medical cannabis licence to help a boy whose rare form of epilepsy improved after taking the drug have been denied by the Home Office.

Ms Deacon said Alfie went to the Netherlands to take a cannabis-based medication in September.

She said that while there, the medication, prescribed by a paediatric neurologist, saw his seizures reduce in number, duration and severity.

At one point while in the UK, Alfie had 3,000 seizures and 48 hospital visits in a year, but while abroad he went 24 days without a single attack.

"We never imagined how well it would work. He's just a six-year-old boy, he deserves a happy life. We've found something that makes him happy and now we've got to take that away."

Ms Deacon said his cannabis dose was "very small" and he was taking three drops of the oil."

These kind of stories really wind me up.

If the drug has such a drastic effect on improving this young boys life, who the hell has the right to deny him the treatment?

Other countries around the worlkd are starting to recognize the medicinal use of cannabis. Maybe it's time Britain caught up, or certainly granted exemption for cases such as this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree. It's ridiculous they are withholding treatment that works just because of some weird stigma attached to the medicine.

• Like 4

Cannabis oil is in the news a lot for helping symptoms across a wide range of conditions from cancers to skin conditions. Cannabis oil the CBD version is now available on the highstreet, from the likes of Holland and Barrett. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence around. such as. this case. or this one. me myself if medically i was drinking in the last chance saloon i'd give it ago. 

The partially truth which surrounds cannabis oil is the fact most pharmaceutical companies wont invest in research because there's no money to be made ie: no patent at the end of it, and as such any professional doctor worth their salt especially working for the NHS wont venture into advising or prescribing cannabis oil because there simply isn't the weight of evidence behind it. they don't want to be known as a quack.

If Cannabis oil did work you can buy it for £60 or less for 100ml. which will probably last you a month. when a cancer drug costs anywhere from a thousand pound a month to half a million a month. until there is research and studies done by the top, top pharma institutions then cannabis oil will remain a product of the snake oil salesmen.

• Like 4

04 February, 2018:    Tetra Bio-Pharma Receives Health Canada Phase 3 Clinical Trial Approval For Smokable Dried Cannabis Prescription Drug

http://tetrabiopharma.com/investors/press-releases/press-release-details/2018/Tetra-Bio-Pharma-Receives-Health-Canada-Phase-3-Clinical-Trial-Approval-For-Smokable-Dried-Cannabis-Prescription-Drug/default.aspx

Edited by Tomas S
direct link inserted

3 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Home Office denies medical cannabis pleas for boy, 6

These kind of stories really wind me up.

If the drug has such a drastic effect on improving this young boys life, who the hell has the right to deny him the treatment?

Other countries around the worlkd are starting to recognize the medicinal use of cannabis. Maybe it's time Britain caught up, or certainly granted exemption for cases such as this.

Think I read that there's something like 9 people in the world with this condition. Do they really think that giving it to these 9 would end up with it on the streets? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomas S said:

Unfortunately this usefull study may only help patients with terminal cancer and will not help people like the boy in the OP.

It was more a comment to stevewinn's entry.

However - you don't know yet, it may help those with epilepsy too. To early to say.

49 minutes ago, Tomas S said:

It was more a comment to stevewinn's entry.

However - you don't know yet, it may help those with epilepsy too. To early to say.

The trials on cannabis are small in number, and in the main carried out by start-up pharmaceutical companies. The link you provided was a press release for their investors consumption. The trials they are conducting are on smokable cannabis for pain relief. -

With non-smokeable alternatives already available its hard to see the company succeeding.

the point i want to make there needs to be properly researched clinical trials on the effects of cannabis on medical applications. - to date any serious trials and breakthroughs are very few and far between.

The British medical council would not approve 'smokable cannabis when there already exist multiple alternatives. one of which is cannabis based, brand name Sativex. by GW & Bayer Pharmaceuticals'.

Like i said previous i think the lack of trials on Cannabis is due to the lack of profit potential. 

Edited by stevewinn

15 hours ago, stevewinn said:

the point i want to make there needs to be properly researched clinical trials on the effects of cannabis on medical applications. - to date any serious trials and breakthroughs are very few and far between.

I agree, though I'd add in cases such as this that the boy has clearly had a massive improvement in quality of life.

Clinical research into the long-term effects of cannabis for medical use might take decades. Even if there proves to be a risk of cognitive and other side effects, they're unlikely to be worse than the boy's current problems.

I'd say this decision from the Home Office is predominantly about not wanting to set a legal precedent and open a can of worms. Sometimes though, you just need to set the rulebook aside and look at the human aspect.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

It looks like common sense may finally come into play:

Alfie Dingley: Home Office considers medical cannabis trial

"The Home Office says it is considering allowing a medical cannabis trial to treat a six-year-old boy with a rare form of epilepsy.

It previously turned down requests by the family of Alfie Dingley, from Warwickshire, to legally take the drug.

But now ministers say they are "exploring every option", following a meeting with the family.

An option could be a three-month trial, led by Alfie's doctors and based on "sufficient and rigorous evidence".

However the Home Office has stressed that "no decisions have been made"."

I got hurt at work a few months back. The right side of my ribs were really bruised up. Very painful. I also happen to have a friend who makes a home made CBD oil. Very high quality, very pure. I couldn't believe how much of the pain it took away. It was amazing. 3 drops in the morning, 3 drops before bed, under the tongue. No high at all.

It's cause of things like the OP and stories like mine why they are so against it being legal. They will lose a fortune. There needs to be a revolution on this matter. We all need to force this in the political arena and refuse to vote for anyone against it.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, stevewinn said:

The British medical council would not approve 'smokable cannabis when there already exist multiple alternatives. one of which is cannabis based, brand name Sativex. by GW & Bayer Pharmaceuticals'.

That's just insulting. The kid can use oil or edibles without ever having to smoke it OR having to put manufactured garbage in his body. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah this is frustrating I have direct experience with this and could write a lot on it. I want to try the oil out for my epilepsy but it's like pulling teeth to get it and in the meantime the doc has zero problem prescribing barbiturates to treat it... This is where I flat out won't follow the law. **** any human that stands in the way of another humans health and well being. Morals and laws are not mutually inclusive. 

I have been cluster headache free for over a year now (first time in 17 years) by trying something which is outside the law. When I was first diagnosed as a teen the doc gave me a script for 60 vicodins with refills. My mom did research online and discovered most folks got relief from straight oxygen from the tank. He rolled his eyes and reluctantly wrote up a script. Turns out the o2 works 1000 times better because no pain pills could even touch the pain of CHs. The only thing I got out of the vicodins was a nasty addiction that worsened my epilepsy and it took a couple years to kick that habit. Thanks for that doc.

I've heard of docs in Canada who wont write o2 scripts for cluster patients. That's pretty sick and twisted what a bunch of psycho ****s. I'm sure there's a reason folks need prescriptions for oxygen but I can't imagine what it is. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Cannabis will not be prescribed in its smoking form. So all those who currently buy it off the local drug dealer and smoke it will be disappointed, medical cannabis will be in tablet or liquid capsules. 

On 2/18/2018 at 4:41 PM, GlitterRose said:

I have to agree. It's ridiculous they are withholding treatment that works just because of some weird stigma attached to the medicine.

Even more ridiculous when you consider that Britain is the world's largest exporter of legal cannabis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1