Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edinburgh's haunted vaults

tyrant lizard

I went down into the vaults beneath Edinborough's South Bridge a few weeks ago. I was with my missus who was scared to go down there so we elected to take the history tour rather than the ghost tour. This comprised of tales of bodysnatchers and bootleggers and stuff like that.

At one point though, we clearly heard footsteps approaching us from further into the vaults, and just when I expected to see someone walk around the corner they stopped. They didnt recede or fade away, so I assumed who ever made them was standing around the corner, but when we went there was no one there. The guide seemed to positively **** herself, and proclaimed it must be one of the other guides lighting candles, but this seemed as much to convince herself as to convince us.

Later on in another section I felt a tightening in my neck and shoulders that went on to become so painful I almost made my excuses and left. I toughed it out though (so brave) and finished the tour - which is very enlightneing I might add.

The end of the tour takes you to a very small museum which shows all the artifacts that were found when they discovered the vaults. On one side is a section discribing the paranormal goings on in there. The main one most people encounter is an entity called Boots, so called becasue you can here his footsteps, and the other is a pain in the neck reported from the same room where I experienced the discomfort... I'm willing to believe I might have been had by the footsteps - maybe a speaker in the wall set up for the ghost tour? But how do you make someone's neck hurt? I'd also be willing to think I had been influenced by suggestion, but I didn't know about these supposed paranormal happenings until we left.

• Like 3