Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Went to sleep in bad, woke up on it

Bowspearer

This morning I woke up to something weird. Last night I went to sleep under the sheets, only to wake up this morning with them pulled up to the top of the bed and with me sleeping on top of them. I don't sleep walk and this wasn't just me kicking off the covers, this was the covers somehow getting under me and being pulled up to the top of the bed. My wife, who was sleeping next to me, has no recollection of anything happening during the night. 

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

I’d say it was probably something you did in your sleep. There’s a first time for everything. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. If you’re curious you could set up a camera.

• Like 2

No I didn't set up cameras ; I didn't think I'd have the need to. I'd have put it down to me doing something in my sleep, but with the way the sheets were, it would have required me to get up, pull up the covers to the top of the bed, then get back on the bed on top of them. That is completely out of character with how I have always slept.

I meant setting up cameras in the future to see if you are in fact getting up. 

There are many reason people sleep walk.

• Sleep deprivation
  • Stress
  • Fever
  • Sleep schedule disruptions, travel or sleep interruptions 
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bowspearer said:

No I didn't set up cameras ; I didn't think I'd have the need to. I'd have put it down to me doing something in my sleep, but with the way the sheets were, it would have required me to get up, pull up the covers to the top of the bed, then get back on the bed on top of them. That is completely out of character with how I have always slept.

Do you have any farther-out possibilities that crossed your mind. I know if it was me I would doubt that I had done it myself so orderly.

Much chance that is how you fell asleep? Ghostly/alien activity??? 

Edited by papageorge1

If this were Star Trek, I'd actually suspect being beamed out of my room and back into my room. It was like I was removed from my bed then placed back on top of it.

4 minutes ago, Bowspearer said:

If this were Star Trek, I'd actually suspect being beamed out of my room and back into my room. It was like I was removed from my bed then placed back on top of it.

Strange and rare, but I think similar things have happened.

You might have gotten to hot under the covers and knocked them around in your sleep. I've done stuff like that before. I've even rolled myself into a human burrito. Kinda freaky when you're half conscious. 

• Like 3

better than waking up with a cat's butt on your face. I also once woke up from a night of drinking with my wife's big toe in my mouth.

• Like 3

I think some people are getting a little confused here. I have absolutely no history of sleepwalking at nearly 39 years of age. I was tired but had not been drinking. I went to sleep under the sheet and blanket currently on the bed. When I woke up, the sheet and blanket were underneath me as if my side of the bed had been made, with a minor disturbance underneath where I woke up. 

For it to have been me, I would have had to have woken up in the middle of the night, gotten out of bed, made my side of the bed, which would have woken up my wife, climbed back on the bed and then gone to sleep.

My wife has no memory of this and I have never engaged in sleepwalking behaviour before in my life. Even if this was out of character and did happen, my wife, who is an incredibly light sleeper, would have been woken up by it. Yet she has no memory of this happening. 

The rational explanations I could come up with to explain this, all fall short in some way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bowspearer said:

I think some people are getting a little confused here. I have absolutely no history of sleepwalking at nearly 39 years of age. I was tired but had not been drinking. I went to sleep under the sheet and blanket currently on the bed. When I woke up, the sheet and blanket were underneath me as if my side of the bed had been made, with a minor disturbance underneath where I woke up. 

For it to have been me, I would have had to have woken up in the middle of the night, gotten out of bed, made my side of the bed, which would have woken up my wife, climbed back on the bed and then gone to sleep.

My wife has no memory of this and I have never engaged in sleepwalking behaviour before in my life. Even if this was out of character and did happen, my wife, who is an incredibly light sleeper, would have been woken up by it. Yet she has no memory of this happening. 

The rational explanations I could come up with to explain this, all fall short in some way.

I hear you. You wouldn’t be here if it you felt it has sleepwalking.

Any other associated weirdness in the past?

Your wife, even though she’s a light sleep may have thought it was just the normal tugging of blankets that happen during the night and completely ignored it. It’s not like you changed the sheets and made the entire bed. It probably took just a few seconds. 

If you are concerned that it was paranormal then invest in a camera and see if you can record the events. 

10 hours ago, Bowspearer said:

Yes it could have been paranormal but those usually come with a bunch of other signs, not just a single event in your life then nothing. 

But if it was something ordinary I would say you didn’t sleepwalk, you actually didn’t even get under the sheets in the first place. You confirmed you were tired meaning you could have already been half asleep by the time you got into bed. Your body was tired so didn’t bother doing anything to the sheets just laid down and your mind filled the gap with the obvious routine movements you do every day as if you did get under your blanket this time too. 

There are thousands of gaps our mind has to work with every single day so it predicts them from experiences. There is a ted talk about this, look it up on YouTube. 

I'd interrogate your wife.

It could be the first of several events where she tries to convince you that you're going mad, before getting you committed :yes:

Joking aside, I wouldn't worry about a one-off, odd, but not inexplicable event. If other things occur, then it might warrant further investigation. No need to call in Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray et al. yet though!

16 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Yes it could have been paranormal but those usually come with a bunch of other signs, not just a single event in your life then nothing. 

But if it was something ordinary I would say you didn’t sleepwalk, you actually didn’t even get under the sheets in the first place. You confirmed you were tired meaning you could have already been half asleep by the time you got into bed. Your body was tired so didn’t bother doing anything to the sheets just laid down and your mind filled the gap with the obvious routine movements you do every day as if you did get under your blanket this time too. 

There are thousands of gaps our mind has to work with every single day so it predicts them from experiences. There is a ted talk about this, look it up on YouTube. 

:rolleyes:

I said I was tired, not half asleep, and I not only got into bed under the covers, but when the light coming through the windows was stopping me from sleeping, I got up, closed the blinds, climbed back into bed and pulled the covers over me.

This is really starting to grow old and grate fast. I came here because I expected people to be open minded enough to approach the evidence as it stands and draw their conclusions based on where it leads. Instead, with the exception of papageogre1, what I have experienced here is people cherry-picking my account so they can rationalise it as "normal" - even when it doesn't fit the facts. The irony is that if the situation were reversed and it was someone cherry-picking an account of a perfectly "normal" situation to come to the conclusion that something was paranormal or the result of some nefarious group or entity, these same people would likely be chomping at the bit to start throwing around "tinfoil hat" and "conspiracy theorist" slurs.

I would trust that irony would not be lost on anyone here, but given the reactions here, I would consider much of that trust to be misplaced.

15 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Joking aside, I wouldn't worry about a one-off, odd, but not inexplicable event. If other things occur, then it might warrant further investigation. No need to call in Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray et al. yet though!

That's just it, I'm not worried, I'm curious. After all, suppose it was a paranormal force or alien abduction for the sake of argument, that only tells you the "who", not the "what" or "why". If it was a supernatural force for example, was the act I was removed from my bed for harmful, beneficial or neutral in its net impact on me? Likewise, was the intention behind that act benevolent, ambivalent or malevolent? In those questions lie a lot of scope for exactly what type of attitude and reaction I should have regarding what happened.

• Like 1